Toyota Nation Forum banner

Lowest fuel economy tolerated by your vehicle if it is staying in your garage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the LOWEST AVERAGE fuel economy you can tolerate from your vehicle considering the gas price right now ($1.98) and the last summer's gas ($3.20) ?

NOTE: By TOLERANCE I mean the kind of AVERAGE fuel economy that will make you trade your vehicle in for a more fuel efficient vehicle.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
i've gotten used to being in the mid/high 20s with both of my vehicles. it's really not that bad, but i'm not paying for premium gas right now, either.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
30ish...but that only applies to the daily driver (echo hatch...hard to get more real world efficiency than these anyhow).

For the more seldom driven Supra...it could get less than 12MPG and over the $5 per gallon mark and I'd still smile putting my foot to the floor the whole way.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,894 Posts
my wife's liberty currently gets the worst gas mileage i would allow at about 20 mpg. i cant wait to sell it - im not a fan of SUVs (or chrysler, but thats another story) unless they are actually taken off-road. which ours never has been.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My truck gets 8mpg. I still drive it on occassion. The reason it is so poor, is that it has emission control that doesn't work right, and the new carb is well over $600 with the 'variable size jet' in it. I am going to be replacing it with a regular 600 weber (edelbrock) and my mileage should go up to at least 12mpg.

It is a hot rod though, what can I expect.

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woody said:
My truck gets 8mpg. I still drive it on occassion. The reason it is so poor, is that it has emission control that doesn't work right, and the new carb is well over $600 with the 'variable size jet' in it. I am going to be replacing it with a regular 600 weber (edelbrock) and my mileage should go up to at least 12mpg.

Sorry Woody.. :lol:
I didn't think of making poll of less than 10mpg.. :lol:

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,894 Posts
woody said:

what kind of truck do you have? a hot rod semi?

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
My work truck gets about 8-10 MPG diesel but I didn't buy that truck, I just drive it. It's a Class 6 (medium duty) with International 466CI I6 turbo diesel. Truck weighs around 12500 with no cargo and the gross weight is 25,999. I put it in fast idle is a lot though because there is some electronically operated hydraulic equipment that, I'm told, is capable of draining the battery so I need to leave the engine in faste idle when I use it.

I only have one car, but for a daily driver, it would be in the high 20s mixed driving and in the mid-30s highway cruising. If I could afford a second vehicle for leisure that I seldom drive, I'm not sure I would mind if it could only get 10 MPG.

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Well for a DD car, I'd say 25. For a DD truck I'd say 16, for my Rebuilt truck rockin the built 440, I'd sell it when It was using gas faster than I could pump it into the tank.

·
Registered
06 Matrix
302 Posts
Since the most I drive is 60~70 miles a day, i could really care lesss about fuel mileage. Can't really bitch about gas, when gas was 3.00, I was spending less than $25 a week on gas.

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
I'm embarrassed when I get less than 42mpg in the Yaris. I'm glad this winter is so hot - it's good for the fuel economy, but the prices are not $1.98, it's $5!

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lasse D said:
......... but the prices are not $1.98, it's $5!
It is $1.95 in my area now. I guess I meant hypothetically speaking.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
different countries have different price scales...

·
幻影
673 Posts
It got down to around $1.83 here last week. At that price, I wouldn't mind driving something with gas mileage in the teens. :lol:

My friend has a Trailblazer SS, and the way he drives it, he gets around 9 mpg, if that.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
I get around 30 with a heavy foot:lol:

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,176 Posts
We're still hovering in the upper $2.80's here.

Mid 20's is nice, takes about $35 to fill up a tank with super.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
For the record, it wasn't me who chose the Prius option lol. If I really were tolerate $2/gal, Corolla mileage is fine with me. Except in Canada, it's $3.80 and Cdn$25ish fillups are looking better and better than my dad's Cdn$60 fillups

1 - 17 of 17 Posts