Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
00 Camry
Joined
·
530 Posts
LS400 Brakes on a Gen3/4? Done.... ***Update w/ pics***

I wanted better stopping power from my Camry, and here, the dual piston calipers were hard to find from the Camry/ES300 wagons. Well after reading and searching here on TN and it looks like no one had done this yet. I went to a LS400 at my local u-pull yard and test fit them on a 96 Camry with a V6. They bolt right on. In fact so well that all you use front the LS400 is the caliper. You use Camry banjo bolt, caliper bolts, caliper bracket and caliper bracket bolts, you even use the Camry pads.

Here is the pic....



Now everyone else go out and mod.

Next, I will try the rear discs to see if they fit.
 

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
Joined
·
11,245 Posts
Ok, so the caliper on what year LS400 is the same as the Gen 3 caliper?
 

·
Registered
00 Camry
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, so the caliper on what year LS400 is the same as the Gen 3 caliper?
I used the calipers off of a 91 LS400. Also I had to use the pads off of the car with the donor caliper bracket, 96 ES300. They LS400 nor the Camry pads fit in the caliper bracket.

I compared a 94 LS400 Caliper and it was a 1 piece design. The 91-92 LS400 calipers are a 2 piece design and can be rebuilt.

So in review to clarify:

LS400 Calipers on a Gen 3:
You need only the LS400 caliper

LS400 Calipers on a Gen 4:
91-92 LS400 Calipers
96 ES300 Caliper bracket (maybe other years fit, but I know these work for a fact.)


In the pic above they were on the test car, a 96 ES300 that's why they were a direct fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Lookin' good! Almost makes me regret buying my 4 pot LS calipers, which are STILL not on due to no time/money for the custom brackets required. Maybe I'll just sell 'em and do this instead, but I hate giving up on stuff...
 

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
Joined
·
13,302 Posts
very good experimentation :thumbup:


but my only question then is this- how much of a braking difference will it make if it still uses the same gen3 pads? similar to using the es300 2-pot calipers, it is theoretically better for distributing braking force, but theoretically as well, it won't make a huge difference since the backing material on the pads aren't supposed to bend either, thus distributing braking force as it is.

but by the same token, 3 pot calipers seem like it may make that extra bit of difference over two, so that it make be a worth the effort....


so I guess just as everybody else is asking...how does it feel? is it noticeably better?
 

·
Registered
00 Camry
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just test fitted one side, I need to get the other bracket and I will have them on tonight.

I will upgrade to HAWK Street ceramic pads for better braking. I will let everyone know what they are like when I get them on.
 

·
Registered
00 Camry
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got it all together now. I used the (1996) ES300 caliper brackets with the (1996) ES300 brake pads, (1991) LS400 calipers. The ES300 brake pads we about 30% larger than the 00 Camry pads that were on the car when I got it. Now this car STOPS ON A DIME. It's like throwing the anchor out. Nice and gentle on pedal to about 40%of travel and the other 60% get progressively much firmer and brakes much harder.

Installed pics:

Look good under the 08 Camry 17s:



Driver's Side:



Passenger's Side:



Sorry about the cruddy pics, it's with my cell camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I've recently got a rear disk brakes from 92 es300 and front twin piston from 95 avalon.

Well, I just checked pads part numbers:

92 ls400 has the same rear pads and 92 es300
92 ls400 has the same front pads as 95 avalon

I don't see any upgrade in ls400 brakes for me.
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top