Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Load Sensing Proportioning Valve is leaking on my '86 4runner. Has anyone modified or bypassed theirs? No parts stores carry it and the dealer wants $160 (plus tax) for a new one.
I have a 4" suspension lift and a bracket was installed to compensate for the LSPV. Right now I have the arm disconnected and tied to the bed to see if it stops leaking if it does not actuate. However, I heard that on wet pavement it could provide too much braking to the rear and cause an unsafe driving condition.
Has anyone installed a manual proportioning valve and what would you do with the fluid return line? Cap it?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The bracket and brake lines are usually what rust through but that valve is made from cast iron or forged iron and lasts forever,just soak the bracket bolts and lines with deep penetrating lube for days prior to removing.I don't know if that part is available aftermarket.
At least one day before replacing the brake lines spray them with a deep penetrating oil:

AeroKroil Oil (from Kanolabs)
PB Blaster
Liquid Wrench
Toyota Rust Penetrant or High Performance Penetrating lube
Rust Check

Sidney
Repair tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 241 000 KM

:canada:

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The body of the valve may last forever, but it is leaking from the seal around the actuating plunger. It is not the bracket or brake lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts