Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
RAV4 and MG ZT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know there have been a lot of inputs regarding the noise/clunking from the steering shaft. I have this problem and will be doing a fix this weekend.
I see Toyota subscribe to the injection of lubricant without disassembly and there are quite a few on the forum that have got rid of the noise through this procedure.
My question is what is the preferred lubricant. Some go for oil, some for grease. As the Toyota supplied "kit" seems to favour grease what type are we talking about? Is it a lithium based type as for wheel bearings as I already have a pot of that. Armed with a syringe this weekend I need to know I'm injecting the right stuff. Anybody care to comment?? :help:

·
Registered
RAV4 and MG ZT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As we know there have been a lot of inputs regarding the noise/clunking from the steering shaft. I have this problem and will be doing a fix this weekend.
I see Toyota subscribe to the injection of lubricant without disassembly and there are quite a few on the forum that have got rid of the noise through this procedure.
My question is what is the preferred lubricant. Some go for oil, some for grease. As the Toyota supplied "kit" seems to favour grease what type are we talking about? Is it a lithium based type as for wheel bearings as I already have a pot of that. Armed with a syringe this weekend I need to know I'm injecting the right stuff. Anybody care to comment?? :help:
Just as an update I ploughed on and did the oil injection into the shaft from the footwell. Took delivery of a pack of hypodermic needles to match the syringe I already had kicking around. Pumped in 5mL of chain saw oil (thick and sticky). Now no noise but took a couple of trips out to really quieten it down - probably the oil working its way through.
Only one issue - I ordered 0.45mm needles which turned out to be too small and took me ages to get the oil in as it wouldn't pass very quickly through the needle. Have now ordered 0.8mm needles and will pump another 5mL in. All I know is - it works!!

·
Registered
RAV4 and MG ZT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as an update I ploughed on and did the oil injection into the shaft from the footwell. Took delivery of a pack of hypodermic needles to match the syringe I already had kicking around. Pumped in 5mL of chain saw oil (thick and sticky). Now no noise but took a couple of trips out to really quieten it down - probably the oil working its way through.
Only one issue - I ordered 0.45mm needles which turned out to be too small and took me ages to get the oil in as it wouldn't pass very quickly through the needle. Have now ordered 0.8mm needles and will pump another 5mL in. All I know is - it works!!
Update - steering now beautifully quiet and feels like new. So pleased I didn't take the "heavy" engineering route of stripping the column.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts