Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone is recommending me this Lucas Oil Stabilizier stuff for my 1998 Corolla (115,000 miles), which either leaks and/or burns oil. My questions are,

Does it work?

Will it damage the car in ANY way?

Will a Corolla have a different reaction to it than any other car?

Thank you. If there is anything else I need to know about this product feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using Lucas oil stabilizer for a long time in my 1997 corolla (251K) miles. It started using oil around 160K miles. I just substitute a half a quart of lucas for the same amount of oil when I change. The car uses about 1 qt. of oil every 1000 miles. Due to it's extreme miles, I check the oil every time I fill with gas (about 300 miles). Just top off the oil when it gets to be a half qt. down. Just started using Lucas in my 2002 town and country with 145K miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it simply makes the oil thicker, it fixes nothing.

my advise would be to try to resolve the issue which is causing it to burn oil, likely sticking rings for a 98. there are solvent and non solvent based engine cleansers which can be used and may help improve the situation.
Thanks for the response but my mechanic said fixing the issue would be very costly and not worth it for an old car. He suspected that it is either a head gasket issue or worn piston rings. However, I am a little ambivalent about Lucas Oil Stabilizier because I think all it is is basically pure petroleum. But many people do swear by it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lucas oil

Guess I didn't really answer your question the first time. I would fix the oil leaks. I never liked the spots in the garage anyway. As far as burning oil, you need to decide if it's work fixing or in this case, minimizing the burn like I did. In my case, it really doesn't pay to fix or replace the engine on a car that has some body damage and major rust above the windshield to the point of leaking, not to mention all those miles (250K+). I need the car to last another 6 months to a year. All the lucas oil does is thicken up the engine oil to slow down the burn. It claims to have additional lubrication benefits for an old engine too, but I won't vouch for that. All I can tell you is that in my car, I use a quart of oil in 1000 miles when I use lucas oil. Double that without it. It won't harm the car. Would I use it in a new car or one that doesn't use oil, probably not. No reason to incur the extra cost. As far as using solvents to clean the engine, you do run the risk of removing deposits that "seat" the rings. I've been advised to stay away from solvents on higher mileage cars (100K+ generally) because sometimes the oil consumption goes up after using them. I'm definitely on the lookout for my next toyota though. This is my second corolla. My first was an 85 and I finally sold it with 200K miles, when I bought this 97.

·
Premium Member
14,694 Posts
Guess I didn't really answer your question the first time. I would fix the oil leaks. I never liked the spots in the garage anyway. As far as burning oil, you need to decide if it's work fixing or in this case, minimizing the burn like I did. In my case, it really doesn't pay to fix or replace the engine on a car that has some body damage and major rust above the windshield to the point of leaking, not to mention all those miles (250K+). I need the car to last another 6 months to a year. All the lucas oil does is thicken up the engine oil to slow down the burn. It claims to have additional lubrication benefits for an old engine too, but I won't vouch for that. All I can tell you is that in my car, I use a quart of oil in 1000 miles when I use lucas oil. Double that without it. It won't harm the car. Would I use it in a new car or one that doesn't use oil, probably not. No reason to incur the extra cost. As far as using solvents to clean the engine, you do run the risk of removing deposits that "seat" the rings. I've been advised to stay away from solvents on higher mileage cars (100K+ generally) because sometimes the oil consumption goes up after using them. I'm definitely on the lookout for my next toyota though. This is my second corolla. My first was an 85 and I finally sold it with 200K miles, when I bought this 97.
1qt every 500 is pretty bad, and you will harm part of the car. the cat.

·
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
08 Scion tC
213 Posts
lol. i have tried all this stuff. lucas, marvel mystery oil, engine restorer, ring seal, stop smoke....:headbang:

nothing works. the only way you'll fix it for good is actually getting it fixed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol. i have tried all this stuff. lucas, marvel mystery oil, engine restorer, ring seal, stop smoke....:headbang:

nothing works. the only way you'll fix it for good is actually getting it fixed
Yes I understand that but this kind of repair is somewhat costly, correct? And if your car last 10 years where I live you are lucky because the winter weather here is brutal. So a repair like that may not be very cost effective.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What's your other choice, get a new car? :) Research how much it would cost to "rebuild" your engine or put in another one from Japan. I hear you can get used japanese engines from japan as they have very strict environmental rules..so they literally take the engine out, and your mechanic would have to put it in for you. as for rebuilds, you have to research this, cuz I hear some incompetent mechanics start to lose nuts after a while...or incorrectly seal and put things back.

Gordon

Yes I understand that but this kind of repair is somewhat costly, correct? And if your car last 10 years where I live you are lucky because the winter weather here is brutal. So a repair like that may not be very cost effective.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I wouldnt bother, miracle stuff are usually snake oil or cause other issues to arise.
Lucas oil stabilizer is probably just polymer chains, or in other words plastic that makes the oil stiffer... same as STP oil treatment, etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's your other choice, get a new car? :) Research how much it would cost to "rebuild" your engine or put in another one from Japan. I hear you can get used japanese engines from japan as they have very strict environmental rules..so they literally take the engine out, and your mechanic would have to put it in for you. as for rebuilds, you have to research this, cuz I hear some incompetent mechanics start to lose nuts after a while...or incorrectly seal and put things back.

Gordon
Nope, my other choice is to keep on adding oil until the car is gone, which I plan on doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts