Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Tacoma and they say a 13/16 wrench will work on the lug nuts. The dealer says it is a 21mm. Are they the same thing or do I need a 21mm. The 13/16 wrench I have does seem a little loose but that may be the way it will be with a 21mm. Are they the same thing? Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,150 Posts
It's a 21mm lug nut. The wrench that comes with the truck is larger than 21mm which is why there's so much play when using it.

And beware not to use it very often. I believe the wrench is the reason why a quarter of my lug nuts are now missing the "decorative" 21mm piece (the real nut underneath is 20mm and is way too small for the wrench that comes with the truck so I now have 2 wrenches in my truck until I take the time to get rid of the other decorative covers).

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
13 / 16 = 0.8125
21 millimeters is equal to 0.83 inches.

Yes they are close, but not exact.

Reactions: MattMaxon

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
I got a 1/2" drive 21mm socket with 4" extension and rachet next to my jack, it's easier to use than the stock wrench.
Also a 12V 1/2" impact gun works miracles.

·
My Other Truck
4,299 Posts
I have rotated my tires six times and used a 13/16" spark plug socket each time. Perfect or not, it sure seems a perfect fit to me. And of course being a six-point, there's no chance of rounding off a lug nut. A cordless drill spins 'em off & on quickly and easily, and a torque wrench finishes the job.

I see no reason in the world to buy a 21mm socket for Tacoma's lug nuts.

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
the "fit" is going to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. the small amount of play with some sockets, metric or standard, is going to be somewhat due to the quality of the tool. perfect example, last night i was working on a 95 tacoma at my house for my fiance's aunt, and when i put a craftsman wrench on this one particular stuck bolt, it wanted to round it off because it was so tight and rusty. went to my box and grabbed a snap on version of the same wrench and it fit just that much nicer and i was able to turn it off.
tool quality comes into play sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always use the correct tool for the job.

Stick with 21mm size if at all possible. The SAE size might fit, but there is always a chance that after a tire shop worked on your car, their impact wrench tightens the lug with extreme torque and you most likely you have to use a breaker bar extension to loosen the lug. Here's is where an approximate size just might not give you as much leverage before rounding off the lug nut. Don't get into the habit of a weekend mechanic with a money wrench. Quite often there is a price to pay when parts break.

·
My Other Truck
4,299 Posts
Stick with 21mm size if at all possible. The SAE size might fit, but there is always a chance that after a tire shop worked on your car, their impact wrench tightens the lug with extreme torque and you most likely you have to use a breaker bar extension to loosen the lug. Here's is where an approximate size just might not give you as much leverage before rounding off the lug nut. Don't get into the habit of a weekend mechanic with a money wrench. Quite often there is a price to pay when parts break.
Welcome to TN. I posted differently (above) nearly 7 years ago, but I now use a 21mm socket. Not exactly for the reason you posted, though -- while a 12-point socket might cause problems, a 6-point, 13/16" spark plug socket will break the lugs loose and will not round them off. The issue is that after a tire shop has hit the lugs a few times with an air wrench, the decorative lug nut covers become deformed and a 13/16 may now fit too tightly. The slightly larger 21mm fits much better. One more thing, if your tire shop overtorques the lugs (as many do), that can stretch them & ruin them -- and the shop probably won't pay to replace them. Best to ask them to hand tighten to the correct torque before they even touch the truck.

·
Registered
2016 Camry LE
107 Posts
Welcome to TN. I posted differently (above) nearly 7 years ago, but I now use a 21mm socket. Not exactly for the reason you posted, though -- while a 12-point socket might cause problems, a 6-point, 13/16" spark plug socket will break the lugs loose and will not round them off. The issue is that after a tire shop has hit the lugs a few times with an air wrench, the decorative lug nut covers become deformed and a 13/16 may now fit too tightly. The slightly larger 21mm fits much better. One more thing, if your tire shop overtorques the lugs (as many do), that can stretch them & ruin them -- and the shop probably won't pay to replace them. Best to ask them to hand tighten to the correct torque before they even touch the truck.
Then go find the IDIOT who used a rattle wrench to tighten the lugs, and beat him to death with a torque wrench.
I always ask, "Do you hand torque the lugs?" Id the answer is "no", I ask if I can do that part myself. If the answer to that is "no", I go somewhere else. I had to have both front discs replaced once. That will not happen twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Then go find the IDIOT who used a rattle wrench to tighten the lugs, and beat him to death with a torque wrench.
I always ask, "Do you hand torque the lugs?" Id the answer is "no", I ask if I can do that part myself. If the answer to that is "no", I go somewhere else. I had to have both front discs replaced once. That will not happen twice.
1. What puzzles me on this thread is the following: Japan is a metric nation. Why would anyone suppose any of Toyota's parts and the tools to manipulate them have SAE sizes? The fact that some SAE sizes happen to be "close" to some metric sizes is just a coincidence.

2. Back in 1974 -- when I bought my first car, a FIAT 124 TC -- I read the manual cover to cover and noticed it included a torque rating for the lug nuts. Ever since, whenever I've allowed someone else to touch my lug nuts, I've made it clear I require a hand torquing. And, when the car is handed back to me, I always apply a torque wrench to some random lug nut to verify it breaks loose at the appropriate torque. Car ownership 101; not rocket science.

·
My Other Truck
4,299 Posts
1. What puzzles me on this thread is the following: Japan is a metric nation. Why would anyone suppose any of Toyota's parts and the tools to manipulate them have SAE sizes? The fact that some SAE sizes happen to be "close" to some metric sizes is just a coincidence.

2. Back in 1974 -- when I bought my first car, a FIAT 124 TC -- I read the manual cover to cover and noticed it included a torque rating for the lug nuts. Ever since, whenever I've allowed someone else to touch my lug nuts, I've made it clear I require a hand torquing. And, when the car is handed back to me, I always apply a torque wrench to some random lug nut to verify it breaks loose at the appropriate torque. Car ownership 101; not rocket science.
First, welcome to TN!

To briefly address your points:

1. Simple answer, when I first rotated our Tacoma's tires, I did not own a 21mm socket, and I discovered that my 6-point 13/16" spark plug socket fit quite nicely. Why would I not use it? The discussion seems to have answered the question of what size sockets will work on a Tacoma's lug nuts.

2. Breaking a random lug nut loose soon after placement may well verify that it was torqued correctly -- I have never tried it. However, after a few thousand miles, the torque required to remove a lug nut is often greater than the torque it was tightened to. I have proven that to myself many times.

·
Registered
14 Tacoma
207 Posts
1" = 25.4mm

13/16" = 0.8125"
21mm = 0.8268"

Reactions: steve108

·
Registered
3 Posts
1" is equal to 25.4 millimeters
13/16" will be 13/16x25.4
Which equals 20.64 millimeter and slightly less than 21 millimeter
A 21mm spanner will work well on 13/16" lug nut.

·
Registered
2008 Tacoma base Access Cab 2.7L 4x2 AT
42 Posts
good question.... if the lug nuts are not US standard they would probably be 21 mm

Most manufacturers make the lug nuts 13/16 to avoid confusion at tire shops etc.

the difference <> 21 mm and 13/16 is 0.0143, while the 21mm will fit it isn't ideal and could end up rounding off the lug nuts

If the 13/16 fits with little slop on the lug nut it is the correct size, if it needs to be forced on or doesn't fit at all it's 21 mm

if the 21 mm fits with a lot of slop it's 13/16

you "could" measure the nut across the flat if you have a vernier caliper, micrometer etc...

But tightening the lug nuts to the recommended torque for the 2009 tacoma to 83 ft-lbs with a 13/16 nut using a 21mm socket could lead to a rounded off lug nut.

·
My Other Truck
4,299 Posts
We seem to be overthinking this. It's a Japanese vehicle and most (perhaps all) hardware is metric, including the lug nuts which are 21mm.
A 13/16" socket is close enough that it will sometimes work, though probably not if the tin cover has been damaged or stressed.
You should always use a 6-point socket on lug nuts. This eliminates any possibility of rounding off the corners of the lug nut.
This is really basic stuff, not rocket science.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts