Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, if anyone can help I need some information on how to replace a front wheel lug stud on a 1997 T100. I have looked at videos online and they all have you take off the rotor or drum brake cover in order to access the lug studs. In this particular case it is not the same. In the videos I have seen the rotor or drum brake cover over the lug studs where as in my situation they are open from the front but there is no clearance to pop them out in the back. I am hoping that somebody on this forum has a suggestion that I can use. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,843 Posts
You have to remove the hub assembly from the spindle and the hub from the rotor as the retaining bolts are on the back. You might as well inspect/clean/repack the bearings while yer in there. You will need the rear seal, part number 90311-50005. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to remove the hub assembly from the spindle and the hub from the rotor as the retaining bolts are on the back. You might as well inspect/clean/repack the bearings while yer in there. You will need the rear seal, part number 90311-50005. ;)
This is the response I was expecting but hoping there was an easier way haha. Thank you for your input, if you happen to have any links that show how its done that would be extremely helpful. I looked all over but couldn’t find one for this specific case. That part number will definitely come in hand.

See post #3. 👆
Yup I was responding right when you sent this message. Very helpful post.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100 4X4
115 Posts
If you happen to have any links that show how its done that would be extremely helpful. I looked all over but couldn’t find one for this specific case.
  • Jack up the truck and remove front wheel.
  • Unbolt the brake caliper bracket (2 bolts) and remove it with the caliper from the rotor.
  • Hang the brake caliper with wire or string so there is no stress on the brake line.
  • Remove the center cap, cotter pin, and lock cap.
  • Remove the 30mm nut.
  • Pull the hub and brake disc off the knuckle. The hub is bolted to the brake disc.
  • Unbolt the brake disc from the hub.
  • Drive out the broken stud and press in the new one!

That 30mm nut controls the preload on the wheel bearings. So you'll need to look up how to do that when you reinstall. Toyota Pickups have a very similar chassis, so use that info if you can't find stuff for a T100. Or you could DM me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
  • Jack up the truck and remove front wheel.
  • Unbolt the brake caliper bracket (2 bolts) and remove it with the caliper from the rotor.
  • Hang the brake caliper with wire or string so there is no stress on the brake line.
  • Remove the center cap, cotter pin, and lock cap.
  • Remove the 30mm nut.
  • Pull the hub and brake disc off the knuckle. The hub is bolted to the brake disc.
  • Unbolt the brake disc from the hub.
  • Drive out the broken stud and press in the new one!

That 30mm nut controls the preload on the wheel bearings. So you'll need to look up how to do that when you reinstall. Toyota Pickups have a very similar chassis, so use that info if you can't find stuff for a T100. Or you could DM me.

Cheers!

Wow that was extremely descriptive and helpful! Thank you very much! I will be starting this project this week and will definitely DM you if I run into a tight spot.

Cheers!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,843 Posts
This is the response I was expecting but hoping there was an easier way haha. Thank you for your input, if you happen to have any links that show how its done that would be extremely helpful. I looked all over but couldn’t find one for this specific case. That part number will definitely come in hand.
Unbolt and remove the brake caliper and bracket.
Remove hub grease cap.
Remove cotter pin and castle.
Unbolt and remove retaining nut and washer.
Pull hub off of spindle.
Remove outer wheel bearing from hub assembly.
Turn tire over on the ground.
Place hub assembly in rim.
Unbolt brake rotor from hub assembly.
Remove broken lug.
Install new lug stud by tapping in place and using the lug nut to pull the remaining bit through.
Install rotor and torque to spec.
Remove old seal.
Remove inner bearing.
Clean old grease from spindle, bearings, hub, nut, washer, and grease cap.
Inspect the bearings and bearing races fer any abnormal wear or pitting. Replace as needed.
Repack bearings, hub, and grease cap with new grease.
Install inner bearing into the hub.
Install new seal.
Place hub on spindle.
Install outer bearing, washer, and nut.
Tighten nut finger tight.
Spin hub a couple of rotations.
Tighten nut again.
Spin hub a couple more rotations.
Torque nut to specs.
Install nut lock and new cotter pin.
Install grease cap.
Reinstall brake caliper and bracket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remove hub grease cap.
Pull hub off of spindle.
Remove broken lug.
Install new lug stud by tapping in place and using the lug nut to pull the remaining bit through.
Remove old seal.
Remove inner bearing.
Inspect the bearings and bearing races fer any abnormal wear or pitting. Replace as needed.
Install new seal.
Place hub on spindle.
Tighten nut again.
Torque nut to specs.
Install grease cap.

Thank you very much for this information! I have been busy and have not had a chance to get to it yet, but this forum is definitely loading me up with the ammo to do the job! Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remove hub grease cap.
Pull hub off of spindle.
Remove broken lug.
Remove old seal.
Remove inner bearing.
Install new seal.
Place hub on spindle.
Tighten nut again.
Torque nut to specs.
Install grease cap.
Hello again! Today is the day that I plan on taking on this project. As I am gathering supplies my biggest question is with this 30mm nut that CaptainNonsense was referring to. Is this best to be taken off and reinstalled with pliers or a socket? I've seen a video where they took it off with big pliers but for the reinstall I want to make sure that it will be on tight. In this same video they held the nut with the pliers and then spun the rotor counterclockwise until it would no longer spin. Thank you everybody in advance!

Also if you would happen to know the name of the seal that I should replace? I'm on my way to the auto parts store now and am going to buy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Inner Hub Seal, maybe? Guessing that would get you close anyway. Probably already figured that out though based on the age of this post!
I believe it was something along those lines. The guy at the auto parts store helped me out. Appreciate everyone’s help I’m finishing up the job today! Lugs studs are completely in and just need to put everything back on!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

1 - 14 of 14 Posts