Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

New owner of a 2016 Avalon Limited Hybrid and loving it. One thing I noticed today was that when I inflated the lumbar support, it seems to deflate almost immediately and not hold. I haven't set any seat positions yet if that matters. Actually, thinking about it, I am wondering if it is constantly reverting back to the position of the previous owner if he/she set a position. Doesn't seem normal but wanted to check in here to see. It has 28,000 miles on it, but Carfax didn't show any maintenance.

Any guidance?

Also, if it is poor etiquette to post any and all Hybrid questions in the general forum I apologize, but this didn't seem like a Hybrid specific question.

Thanks in advance!

·
Inveterate Tinkerer
2014 Avalon Limited
1,085 Posts
Easy enough to check. Just set a seat position (with lumbar support inflated) then push the button for the other driver and see if it deflates while you're in the seat.

I recall something in the owner's manual saying the power seat extension setting isn't saved as a driver position (could be wrong there) but never saw anything about the lumbar setting.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all!

New owner of a 2016 Avalon Limited Hybrid and loving it. One thing I noticed today was that when I inflated the lumbar support, it seems to deflate almost immediately and not hold.....
I have a 2016 Limited (non-hybrid) with the same problem with the lumbar support failing to hold. Did you resolve the problem with yours?

Thanks,
CrankyOldGuy

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
113 Posts
I have a 2016 Limited (non-hybrid) with the same problem with the lumbar support failing to hold. Did you resolve the problem with yours?

Thanks,
CrankyOldGuy

That user was last seen on this forum in June of 2017 according to his profile. I doubt you'll get a reply (but I hope you do).

I did a custom search for "lumbar" to look for similar reports. Unfortunately, the only one I saw that indicated a similar issue resulted in a dealer recommending the lumbar motor and bladder be replaced.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/lumbar-support.645969/#post-6078505

Taking your seat apart may yield some answers, but I don't know. I've personally never looked in the seat back. Maybe someone else here has some suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That user was last seen on this forum in June of 2017 according to his profile. I doubt you'll get a reply (but I hope you do).

I did a custom search for "lumbar" to look for similar reports. Unfortunately, the only one I saw that indicated a similar issue resulted in a dealer recommending the lumbar motor and bladder be replaced.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/lumbar-support.645969/#post-6078505

Taking your seat apart may yield some answers, but I don't know. I've personally never looked in the seat back. Maybe someone else here has some suggestions.
Thanks for the info, the motor works, the bladders just don't stay fully inflated. It not a matter of losing "memory" when the car is off. It takes just a few seconds and they go flat. I don't have the chassis or electrical manual so i don't know if it is a valve issue or otherwise.

I should check to see it the passenger seat behaves the same way or not...

R/CrankyOldGuy

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Ltd
1,299 Posts
There has to be a check valve in there that is leaking. The trick is knowing where to find it. Should be a simple part unless it is part of the pump. If not the valve maybe a hose has a pin hole leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts