Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
03Corolla 07Sienna
91 Posts
Yes, my Canadian 03 has a low washer fluid light and a illuminated ring around the cig lighter. I did not know that it was exclusive to Canada! It is weird.

The Special Edition is nothing more than a CE with some exclusive 15' wheels and a sunroof.

The power locks were not standard on Canadian 03-04 CE models!

I also think that A/C is standard on CE models in USA? It has never been standard in Canada from 03 to 08, but a lot of people paid $1000 to have it on their CE.
My 2003 Corolla CE has power locks and air conditioning. I was with my mother when she bought the car new, and I seem to remember she paid at least $1000 extra for that. I don't recall what else was included in that option package. She also got automatic transmission. We've got the low washer fluid light (presumably since low washer fluid would be more of a problem on snowy, salty roads in the Canadian winter if you run out of washer fluid, though it would be equally applicable to northern states, mid west, northern New England, etc). The lighted ring around the lighter is nice to have when you want to plug in a cell phone charger at night.

If you look at the VIN, if it starts with 1, 4 or 5 it's US built. 2 is Canadian built. 3 is Mexico. J is Japan. You can see all of the country codes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number#Country_codes

I thought the 04 and up CE in Canada had power locks as standard, it must have been an option depending on what package was bought. I am pretty sure AC is standard on corollas sold in the US. I know there is a different serp belt size when there is no AC pulley. Also, I have a Canadian built corolla here in the US, I remember when buying that it had the cold weather package, I assume that is standard in Canadian used corollas?
From what I understand, it doesn't matter where the vehicle was built, but where it was intended to be shipped for its first retail sale. Using that logic, you could have a car built in California with the cold weather package, metric instrumentation, etc, if it was destined to be sold in the Canadian market. And on the same token, a Canadian-built car could be made without cold weather package, DRL (maybe before, not sure about now), and other random components that you would not think mattered, but if it was destined to be shipped to the US, it's possible.

I had a 4 month temporary job at a Honda assembly plan in the 1990s and this happened all the time with Civics (and Canadian market Acura EL). Canadian manual transmission models got one kind of clutch slave cylinder, US models got a different one. Canadian models got daytime running lights, US models didn't. French labels for side mirror for cars to Quebec. Certain states and provinces didn't get front license plate screws/mounts since not all use front plates. All made on the same assembly line, but they know where each car is being shipped to for its first retail sale, and that made a difference for some of the parts.

·
Registered
03Corolla 07Sienna
91 Posts
Hey to you Canadian owners. Do you guys have the low washer fluid light? Are those optitron or regular clusters?
My 2003 Corolla CE has the low washer indicator. I've also driven a 2004 Corolla CE and 2010 Corolla S (all sold in Canada), and all had the low washer fluid light. I know for sure, because I used enough washer fluid in each of those cars that the light came on.

All of the 9th generation Corollas I've ever driven had regular gages. Not sure if the Corolla S and XRS models got Optiron - they might have because the have the white faced gages, instead of the black ones in the CE (and possible LE). My 2006 Matrix (Canadian market model) had Optitron gages, and it was just a base model. I think all Matrix models got Optitron backlit gages. As for 10th generation Corollas, I don't know about CE and LE models, but I'm pretty sure the Corolla S has Optitron. I drove one for a few months, and took it to Florida, nice car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Judging by the rust on my 04 Canadian-built CE, no rust proofing! And no halo ring on cig lighter, at least still working? But....power locks!

·
Registered
03Corolla 07Sienna
91 Posts
Judging by the rust on my 04 Canadian-built CE, no rust proofing! And no halo ring on cig lighter, at least still working? But....power locks!
Although it may be a Canadian built Corolla CE, if it was originally shipped to the US for its first retail sale, it was built to US specifications - presumably no "low washer fluid" warning light, no illuminated halo around the cigarette lighter, etc. It's important to remember that it's not based on the country it was built in, but rather the country it was originally intended to be sold in. You could have a Canadian built Corolla built to US specifications, and mine could come down the assembly line later that day, and have different standard equipment (or lack thereof) since mine was built in Canada and slated to be sold in Canada.

As for factory rustproofing, I don't know if there was any difference between US and Canadian spec Corollas - I think they were all the same.

Hope that helps! :grin:

·
Registered
03Corolla 07Sienna
91 Posts
I can't see one on my 2005 NUMMI CE. As in, when I shine the light at the cluster I don't see one.
Are you talking about the halo ring around the cigarette lighter? I'm not sure what a US-spec Corolla would have, but here's a pic of my Canadian-spec 2003 Corolla CE. I don't have a night picture, but I had this one handy from before. The white ring glows green when the lights are turned on, as long as the dash lights are on (ie: parking lights and/or headlights), then the halo ring is illuminated. My electric connection is not very good. I know this because when I plug in a portable GPS or phone charger into the lighter socket, I sometimes have to wiggle it or push it to one side to work.

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
No I'm talking about the washer light. It's a feature I wish I had. Sadly I don't think it'll be possible.

But talking about the ring, There was actually a corolla on Craigslist parting out a few months ago with that lighted ring. However, it was wood grain which wouldn't match my interior color scheme. I thought it may be possible to just remove the ring itself and implant into my black bezel.

·
Registered
03Corolla 07Sienna
91 Posts
No I'm talking about the washer light. It's a feature I wish I had. Sadly I don't think it'll be possible.

But talking about the ring, There was actually a corolla on Craigslist parting out a few months ago with that lighted ring. However, it was wood grain which wouldn't match my interior color scheme. I thought it may be possible to just remove the ring itself and implant into my black bezel.
Ah yeah, that makes sense now. I just went out to the Corolla to try and take some pics for you, and anyone else who might be interested. Unfortunately I only have my iPhone to take pics with right now and the flash kept going off because it's dark outside now, ruining the pic with too much light. I turned the key so that all of the warning lights come on, as a self-test just before you start the car. It seems all of the warning lights, except the low washer fluid light came on. Either it doesn't come on with the other warning lights when you turn the key, or the bulb for it is burned out. I rarely use up all my washer fluid - I usually top it up when it's half empty. But if I happen to run low and the warning light comes on, I'll take a pic. IIRC, the low washer light is at the very top left, but I'm not 100% on that.

And I couldn't take a pic of the halo light illuminated at night, again because the flash kept going off and there's no way to disable it. Or if someone knows how, on an iPhone 5S please let me know. I don't have my good DSLR camera with me. If I did, I could have manually disabled the flash and put the camera on a tripod to keep it steady for a good, clear night pic. But, if you can picture that little white ring in the pic I posted earlier, glowing green to match the other green lights on the dash, that's what it looks like. I would think it's possible to swap in a lighted outlet in place of your regular one. Maybe there are some aftermarket ones available, or check the junkyard in other higher end Toyotas. Maybe a Camry or Lexus has it. Or even other makes?

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Haha lmao reading this I had a funny thought "I'll just ask him to sit in his car bad run is reservoir dry of washer fluid" haha I can only imagine what peopled think if you were just sitting in your car running the windscreen washer :D it's fine though man. I tried shining my light at it and you have to turn it at an angle to see any of the warning lights. The BEST time to see it is with the sun at a sunset angle hitting it.

Should be an option in the left hand corner to disable flash. No worries if you can't get it, I can see how it works. It doesn't look transplant-able though.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Hey to you Canadian owners. Do you guys have the low washer fluid light? Are those optitron or regular clusters?
Yes, at least XRS has the low washer fluid light. All of the XRS (Matrix and Corolla) were built in Ontario.

·
Registered
03Corolla 07Sienna
91 Posts
Haha lmao reading this I had a funny thought "I'll just ask him to sit in his car bad run is reservoir dry of washer fluid" haha I can only imagine what peopled think if you were just sitting in your car running the windscreen washer :D it's fine though man. I tried shining my light at it and you have to turn it at an angle to see any of the warning lights. The BEST time to see it is with the sun at a sunset angle hitting it.

Should be an option in the left hand corner to disable flash. No worries if you can't get it, I can see how it works. It doesn't look transplant-able though.
Of course I just topped up my washer fluid, lol! ;)

I think I see the option to disable the flash on the iPhone now, thanks for the tip. Next time I go out I'll try to at least get a pic of the illuminated halo around the cigarette lighter.

As for the washer fluid warning light, it might be a while before I use up all of the washer fluid. In a few days I'm going away for about 6 to 8 weeks, but with a different vehicle, the Corolla will stay parked. But, when my washer fluid is low enough, and the warning light comes on (whenever that may be), I'll definitely snap a pic, unless someone else does it first.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Im in Canada with a Canadian built 2008 LE.

I have a low washer fluid light and I presume its optitron, however I'm not sure if that varies with model designation.

Its a little thing, but I couldn't imagine not having it and just running out suddenly

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Im in Canada with a Canadian built 2008 LE.

I have a low washer fluid light and I presume its optitron, however I'm not sure if that varies with model designation.

Its a little thing, but I couldn't imagine not having it and just running out suddenly

Yes, your LE has the beautiful optitron cluster.

·
We have lift-on
2005 Corolla XRS
754 Posts

It will look like something like this.

This actually pissed me off one day. I had the washer level near the trigger point for the float. I was taking corners and it was causing the light to come on but when straight the light was off. I thought it was the CEL because it's yellow and not in the position of the TPMS, I wasn't directly watching the instrumentation during corning. Should be a blue or green.

·
Registered
03Corolla 07Sienna
91 Posts

It will look like something like this.

This actually pissed me off one day. I had the washer level near the trigger point for the float. I was taking corners and it was causing the light to come on but when straight the light was off. I thought it was the CEL because it's yellow and not in the position of the TPMS, I wasn't directly watching the instrumentation during corning. Should be a blue or green.
It's probably yellow or orange to stay consistent with the color coding of other warning lights, etc. Typically red is danger, yellow or orange is caution, green means it's OK or that something is turned on (in some cars, there's a green light to indicate the headlights or daytime running lights are on). I've never seen blue for a warning light, other than for high beams, but blue tends to not show up very bright. Maybe that's why it's used for the high beam indicator since it will be on for a long time if you're driving at night, but they don't want it to be distracting, but it will be noticeable if you look for it.

I also have driven when the washer fluid was at a very low level, and the light only came on when cornering, and only briefly. I only saw a flash of yellow out of the corner of my eye, but did not see the actual symbol, and it took a few turns before I saw what it was, but I made sure to look for it on the next turn.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,644 Posts
US cars don't have the sensor but many are prewired (mine is).

As for the differences, Mike (mikered30) covered them pretty well.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
My issue is, even if I bought a cluster that has it, I don't know if my car is equipped with a sensor.
Your bigger issue is the mileage is stored in the cluster, so if you bought a cluster than had it, you would have to either figure out how to re-program the mileage on it to match yours, drive yours until it caught up to the new clusters mileage, or deal with an odometer error statement when you traded the car in.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts