Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to replace my head unit and chose the Kenwood DDX793. I was contemplating on whether to spend an additional $80 on having the "Maestro" installed. Maestro is an added app on most higher-priced units which adds vehicle monitoring on the head unit display such as real-time tire pressure, air/fuel ratio, MAF, voltage, etc. However I was told that the gauges that can be displayed is limited by the car make. Ford and GMC are able to display more options vs a Toyota. According to the Maestro tech support website, the only things that could be displayed were RPM, speed, real-time tire pressure, and voltage. I eventually chose to get the Maestro add-on and boy was I glad I did. After the install, the installer was able to program the Maestro with more gauges than we originally thought!
As you can see, I chose to display
1) tire pressure
2) voltage
3) Air/fuel ratio
4) Coolant temp
5) Acceleration
6) MAF
7) MPG

All of the above is in real-time and the values change while driving. Also, the reverse camera can be turned on ANYTIME, you dont need to be in reverse to have the camera displayed. It will also display "trouble codes" with the option to reset them via the Maestro but I have yet to have a code so I cant verify how good that works. There were other gauges available to be displayed on the left pic but there is only a max of 5 that can be on the screen. I did not lose any of the stock menu options, everything was integrated with the Kenwood and it also came with the usual stuff that comes with aftermarket head units like EQ, loudness, speaker delay, etc The only caveat is that the back-up camera will not work unless the head unit is powered on.

Aloha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Dumb question as I have not seen any post this part....do the steering wheel controls work at all?
I thought that was a great question!

Sportbiker929,
Compatibility wise, I also wonder:
1. if the new unit will accept Voice Control (i.e. change stations, play external USB devices, phone sync and etc.)
2. Can it display Real-time ATF Temperature?
3. Since you have real-time Coolant temperature and so on, can you confirm if this new unit also have connection to your on-board OBD-II port?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the steering controls still work. Aftermarket head units are installed with an adaptor ($50) so that the consumer does not lose their steering wheel controls ( I believe its called "SWC"). However, the Maestro harness already incorporates that into their harness so you do not need a separate SWC if you choose to go with the Maestro ($125). Sorry I should have been more detailed in my OP. That was one of my decisions when going with Maestro or not = do I wanna pay the extra money just to get the Maestro and have limited monitoring gauges? So in the end, I was happy that the Highlander was able to unlock more monitoring gauges than previously thought of.
Also, I forgot to add that there are actually two "pages" of monitoring gauges available for the Highlander. If you look closely at the gauges pic, there is a "P1" and "P2". You can have five more monitoring gauges on the second page like "load/throttle plate position", "exiting exhaust temp"...sorry, I forgot the rest, lol. And you can view it with "red needle gauges" or "status bar" appearance like I chose to show on mine..and you can customize the location of the gauges.

I have never used "Siri" or "Hey Google", whether its in my cars or at home, so I cant vouch for the voice commands, although the installers told me that voice commands are still functional.

I don't believe it has Automatic Tranny Fluid Temp.
The ODB sensor port is not used, I was told that they were able to access it a different way, therefore, a mechanic is still able to plug in their ODB without having to disconnect the Maestro.
Also, the Kenwood head unit that I bought came with a direct-connect USB port that the installers were able to route onto that shelf that runs along and below the dash (?) to plug in a USB compatible device as well as charge my phone.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how does the stereo sound compared to the stock head unit? Additionally, what trim level are you? LE, XLE, Limited?
LE PLus. I'm not an audiophile, but with the addition of the handful of preset EQ as well the customized EQ, bass boost, loudness, sound delays, etc. features that the head unit came with, it does sound better than the stock one. I guess it depends on what type of music you listen to, how you like to hear them, and the type of head unit you install.
Hope this helps

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,837 Posts
I never looked into seeing if my Pioneer head unit can work with Maestro, and I think I have some version of it for the steering controls, but not sure.

The stereo should sound much better just swapping from stock. Do a side by side test and you will be amazed at the difference just in the head unit swap. (Unless you get a low end unit). Just about any Pioneer with 4v or Kenwood with 3+4v out is going to be better than what I was getting around 1 or 1.5v I forget. But I'm not sure what they have changed in the units. I do know that Pioneer and Panasonic make the headunits for the 3rd gen HL.

But that is pretty cool to have that info, while not a big deal, it is sweet having it.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,139 Posts
I never looked into seeing if my Pioneer head unit can work with Maestro, and I think I have some version of it for the steering controls, but not sure.

The stereo should sound much better just swapping from stock. Do a side by side test and you will be amazed at the difference just in the head unit swap. (Unless you get a low end unit). Just about any Pioneer with 4v or Kenwood with 3+4v out is going to be better than what I was getting around 1 or 1.5v I forget. But I'm not sure what they have changed in the units. I do know that Pioneer and Panasonic make the headunits for the 3rd gen HL.

But that is pretty cool to have that info, while not a big deal, it is sweet having it.
You have the NEX Pioneer unit (I recall from your other thread) right Phil? If so, from my research (NEX on the way into my camry) it does work with the right firmware loaded into the maestro. Since there are 2 USB ports, you can still carplay and link the maestro.

Good to see Toyota still using Pioneer/Panasonic for sounds. Fun fact: My old gen1 HL speakers were Pioneer, I think the headunit was too but that I forgot. Headunit on my new RX330 is also Pioneer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So how does the stereo sound compared to the stock head unit? Additionally, what trim level are you? LE, XLE, Limited?
LE PLus. I'm not an audiophile, but with the addition of the handful of preset EQ as well the customized EQ, bass boost, loudness, sound delays, etc. features that the head unit came with, it does sound better than the stock one. I guess it depends on what type of music you listen to, how you like to hear them, and the type of head unit you install.
Hope this helps
Hii
I would like to know what modules and cable you needed to install your head unit, I bought the 42nex and I still need to buy all the necessary equipment.

Thankz for showing the maestro it looks nice

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,837 Posts
You have the NEX Pioneer unit (I recall from your other thread) right Phil? If so, from my research (NEX on the way into my camry) it does work with the right firmware loaded into the maestro. Since there are 2 USB ports, you can still carplay and link the maestro.
Good to see Toyota still using Pioneer/Panasonic for sounds. Fun fact: My old gen1 HL speakers were Pioneer, I think the headunit was too but that I forgot. Headunit on my new RX330 is also Pioneer.

Yes, its the 4100NEX. While Pioneer and Panasonic do make the OEM units, they are made stripped out and rebuit with exact specs for the number of units made. And they do use the cheapest of the components. My Pioneer gets ~3.8volts out while the stock was gets no more than ~1.2volts out. Huge difference. I guess this can vary between trims and years and mfgs. For example, I have a Gen1 Highlander as well, and the stereo sounds far superior in the Gen1 to the Gen3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP what made you choose this unit? I'm looking at this vs the 9903.
My original choice was actually the DDX593, lol. However, I was lucky that I am a repeat customer for the stereo/alarm shop that I always go to that the owner gave it to me for $50 less, so I went with the DDX793.
In comparing the 593 and the 793, it had about a one-inch bigger screen and the manual adjustment knob is not on the face.

In comparing the 793 and the 9903, they both have the same screen size, 50W x 4 output, Maestro compatible, 3 preouts, and other identical features with the following differences

1) 9903 has an HDMI connection = I wouldn't find a use for that, its not like I would be connecting my PS4 or Blu-Ray player, lol
2) 9903 has 2 USB outputs vs 1 on the 793 = I have yet to use the USB port, my phone is connected to my deck via BT
3) 9903 has SEVEN motorized tilt angles vs SIX on the 793 = I keep it at one angle the entire time after adjustment and ONE more angle wont be a deal breaker, lol

Everyone's needs are different, if you think the different features are worth the extra $$, then go for it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a helpful discussion. Any idea if the Maestro unit would provide information similar to what's in the Eco app on the stock Entue system for a hybrid?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. I did try this previously, and the information provided in response does not directly address the hybrid-specific information current provided by the entune/eco system. The Maestro info page does refer to battery voltage, but I suspect this refers to the main (not hybrid) battery.

Any hybrid owners out there use the Maestro system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
BirdsEye retained wth DNX995S and Maestro?

I have a 2018 Hybrid Limited-Platinum V6 AWD-i with the Jensen unit. I intend to replace that unit with a Kenwood Excelon DNX995S and Maestro idatalink interface.

I intend to preserve the "Birdseye" OEM view that combines the front, rear, and both side-mirror cameras for a synthetic overhead view.

Has anyone here done that type of installation?

Does "Birdseye" work?

Any suggestions, and/or warnings, including alternatives?

I will really appreciate your assistance.

-bax

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,837 Posts
Even a BestBuy or a Fry's can do the install. They run a free or really low price installs when you purchase from them.
Quality of install is based on parts used and the specific installer. Which will vary.
The head units are around $500-700. Maestro price was posted above as $125.

What was your specific experience sportbiker929 ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but better than starting a new one. My biggest attraction to Maestro is the part where it retains vehicle settings previously controlled by the stock Entune unit. Would you be able to share the list of vehicle settings that were retained? I believe you lose easy speak. Does it keep the rear auto-door settings (such as how high the door will open). Also, does it preserve the door lock settings? I'm sure I'll find this out eventually as I've taken the plunge to upgrade my wife's dying Entune system in her 2015 XLE. However, I just want to know what I should expect in regards to the factory settings that are retained. Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts