Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I used the search function but can't find my answer. I am going to try and clean the MAF sensor on my 97 camry v6 and would like to know if this one is actually one that I can clean. It is a different shape than the one's I see on later model cars and I know there is one type vs another that you can not clean with solvents due to some film inside. Not sure if this type is on older cars than the 97 or not.
See the attached link for what my sensor looks like and tell me what you know and think. I am not associated with the link in any way. Just using for demo purposes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12555-TOYOTA-CAMRY-95-96-97-98-99-00-OEM-MASS-AIR-FLOW-INTAKE-METER-MAF-SENSOR-/171093818125?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d5fc7b0d

Anything else I should be aware of would be appreciated. Never done this before. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
How are you supposed to clean these 1997 Toyota Camry V6 1MZ-FE MAF sensors ?? See the pics. There's no "bare wire" outside the MAF sensor. Do you just spray inside the hole ??? Ever MAF sensor I've seen guys showing how to clean have a wire outside and can be seen easily. How can I even tell if this is dirty or clean ???

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shine a flashlight in the opening that's divided in to 4 quadrants
Yup. It's still really difficult to see much or tell if it's clean or dirty. I bought CRC MAF Sensor cleaner. Do I just spray in in there for a bit ??? Are these even "cleanable" or am I just better off buying a replacement ??? This looks a lot different than most I've seen videos on for cleaning them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes it is definitely cleanable. Here are the two little wires you need to clean off. Sorry the picture is so bad, it really is hard to see in there.

They work just like the little wires in the other style MAF, just in a different housing. A quick spray with MAF cleaner is all that's needed to clean the grime off of them. Direct the spray at the wires but don't accidentally poke them with the straw. Orient the sensor so the dirty cleaner can pour out of it and not just pool up in there. Sometimes it can be hard to tell from looking at them if they are dirty or not, but you won't hurt them by cleaning them with MAF cleaner either way.

Sometimes people confuse the little colored bulb of the IAT sensor with the MAF sensor, especially on the other style where the IAT is very easy to see and the MAF wires are hidden up in the housing. On your sensor the IAT sensor is located here.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Steve108, thanks for taking your time to respond and post those pictures. I just cleaned mine and I cannot believe the difference !!!! Prior to cleaning it was very difficult to see those "wires" because they were black from being dirty. I was outside in bright sunshine and I couldn't really see much. After using the CRC MAF cleaner and spraying a few times, I could immediately see it clear as day outside in the bright light. Night and day difference. Car has 190K on it and unless this has been replaced, I know it's never been cleaned. I'm hoping it helps with these 4 OBD codes P0100, P0110, P0150, P0171. I started the car the other day and ran inside for a bit. Came out and check engine light was on. I notice at idle I can hear a very slight "miss" in the exhaust. I recently replaced valve cover gaskets, new spark plugs, Toyota spark plug wires, and EGR valve. I've been driving the car for about 1500 miles since all that work. Now gotta figure this out. I'm replacing fuel filter this weekend too as it's probably original.

·
Camreee
308k - 99 Camry V6 4A - Gutted - Suspension Mods
53 Posts
Also cleaned my MAF yesterday with CRC before changing the spark plugs, and damn it made a giant difference in idle and hesitancy. Cleaned throttle body and related cable/spring/pulley assembly as well, and then installed new denso double platinum spark plugs. Runs so much better than before.

I changed the fuel filter in my 99 v6 a few weeks ago, I think the one on there was the original with 300k+ miles. It definitely reduced stumbling I was experiencing at the time.

Got a napa gold one. Took about 45 minutes total to remove battery, intake, filter, and replace filter and put it back together. The DIY guide on here is super useful,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also cleaned my MAF yesterday with CRC before changing the spark plugs, and damn it made a giant difference in idle and hesitancy. Cleaned throttle body and related cable/spring/pulley assembly as well, and then installed new denso double platinum spark plugs. Runs so much better than before.

I changed the fuel filter in my 99 v6 a few weeks ago, I think the one on there was the original with 300k+ miles. It definitely reduced stumbling I was experiencing at the time.

Got a napa gold one. Took about 45 minutes total to remove battery, intake, filter, and replace filter and put it back together. The DIY guide on here is super useful,
Hey how was that Napa Gold fuel filter ??? It shows you can get it with, or without, the bracket for the same price. Two different part numbers. I was going to buy the one with the bracket but my Napa didn't have it in stock and than I watched a video on YouTube where the guy recommended buying the stock Toyota fuel filter because he said he's gotten aftermarket ones where the thread's aren't exactly the same on the bottom and he ended up having problems. So I broke down and ordered the OEM Toyota filter instead. But if that Napa Gold worked, that's good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah cleaning the MAF makes a huge difference if it is dirty. I have had a dirty one cause P0171 before. Your first two codes may just be from having the key on with the MAF disconnected. I would clear them and see if they come back after your mx is done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts