Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I bought my truck I wanted to ordered a magnetic drain bolt. First time doing so for any of my cars or trucks.
I just thought I would do the little extras to make this Taco last a good long time.
Well I ordered from a company, C.G. Enterprises in Canada.
There used to be a company called Superboltz or Superplugz that I thought of ordering from before but this company was all I could find. (insert your recommendation here).
So I just reached 3,000 miles and did the oil change today.
I drained the oil pan and then pulled the CG plug out and "Voila!!" What a F*ckin beauty of a bolt it is:
(its on the left)

I'm not sure what part of "2008 Toyota Tacoma v-6 4x4" they did not understand, but clearly I am quite disappointed with what I received.:headbang:

FAIL

Oh, by the way, while I'm waiting for the oil pan to drain. I noticed there was no washer on the factory drain bolt. Am I not supposed to use a drain bolt washer on this truck??

·
Registered
06 RR DC LB
24 Posts
The washer appears to be some kind of composite material. Check for it on the oil pan. It tends to mold into the hole.

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The washer might be stuck to the pan.
Thanks Toku,
I'll check it out.
I saw what looked to be a washer on the pan but when I politely tapped at it with a flathead to see if it would come off, it did not. I'll have to try again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is a little black gasket, I would leave it on the pan if you dont intend to replace it, if you damage it and put it back on, your plug will leak. All toyota's take the same drain plug gasket, so if you want to be safe go to a toyota dealer and buy a bag of them, they are cheap, you should replace the gasket at every oil change.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
I swear the drain bolt was already magnetic... Or maybe I'm thinking of the tranny and diff plugs.

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a little black gasket, I would leave it on the pan if you dont intend to replace it, if you damage it and put it back on, your plug will leak. All toyota's take the same drain plug gasket, so if you want to be safe go to a toyota dealer and buy a bag of them, they are cheap, you should replace the gasket at every oil change.
Thanks, I do have several of them from my 98. They fit well. The gasket came off the pan with a little more effort.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with buying from CG Enterprises.

Try this company and use the vehicle search:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/index.html

I bought one and the magnet is strong enough that it sticks to the pan while trying to take it off for a drain and sticks to the side when you try to put it in. As I recall, it comes with a gasket.

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with buying from CG Enterprises.

Try this company and use the vehicle search:
http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/index.html

I bought one and the magnet is strong enough that it sticks to the pan while trying to take it off for a drain and sticks to the side when you try to put it in. As I recall, it comes with a gasket.
Thanks. I always worry I might drop the drain bolt into the drain pan but if it sticks to the pan after I remove it, that would free up my hands right away.

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
i have mags on my filter

·
Registered
05 Taco TRD Off Road
55 Posts
sorry to hi-jack, but... I changed my oil today, and after i put the plug back in and filled it up with oil I noticed that the drain bolt gasket was in the pan with my junk oil... Is it okay to go without the drain bolt gasket until the next oil change?

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
sorry to hi-jack, but... I changed my oil today, and after i put the plug back in and filled it up with oil I noticed that the drain bolt gasket was in the pan with my junk oil... Is it okay to go without the drain bolt gasket until the next oil change?
You should be O.K. maybe a small bit of oil might weep out? But nothing major.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Another couple of reasons why I love my Fumoto drain valve.
No washers-No wrench.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma 4x4
153 Posts
it seems your letting your truck drain for a long time. just a fyi, the oil pump could loose its prime and could cause problems on start up. change the oil and fire it up let it run for awhile to insure everythings cool. dont ever change youur oil and not run the engine afterwards.

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it seems your letting your truck drain for a long time. just a fyi, the oil pump could loose its prime and could cause problems on start up. change the oil and fire it up let it run for awhile to insure everythings cool. dont ever change youur oil and not run the engine afterwards.
That's a great piece of info. I always let it run for five minutes, by the clock. But I always did this to get the filter
fully infused. Five minutes should be enough, yeah?

·
My Other Truck
4,314 Posts
Five minutes ought to be more than enough. I worked in a service station when I was a kid (in the mid 1960s) and was taught to always let the engine run for a minute or two after an oil change, to make sure oil pressure returned to normal, but mainly to check for leaks.

Apparently someone at a different station had forgotten to install the drain plug one time.... it cost him his job, and it cost the station owner an engine.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Just go with magnets on the filter and you will be fine! Whatever oil you use just change it @ proper intervals and get a quality filter. ;)

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
What do magnets on the filter/drain plug do exactly? I can see them being useful for the first oil change, for when the engine is still breaking in and shaving metal, but after that, what's the point? :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts