Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search didn't come up with an answer so will ask.
My first scheduled maintenance was scheduled by the salesman when I bought my car, and just got an email saying it was time.
In the time I have had it, I think I may have put 850 miles on it. Will they do the oil change and tire rotation anyway, or should I reschedule for a later time?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The first maintenance is at 5,000 miles and does not include an oil change. Maybe 6 months have elapsed and they estimated that 5,000 miles have accumulated. Call them up and explain the email you received and how many miles you have on the car, and they will decide the best course of action.

The oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Search didn't come up with an answer so will ask.
My first scheduled maintenance was scheduled by the salesman when I bought my car, and just got an email saying it was time.
In the time I have had it, I think I may have put 850 miles on it. Will they do the oil change and tire rotation anyway, or should I reschedule for a later time?
Toyota Care is every 5,000 miles or 6 month which ever comes first.

I would bring the car in to get free inspection and oil change. Why not use it verus lose it?

I understand most don't like to put miles on car myself included; however, if the car is not driven then missed opportunity to know when something is wrong.

·
REV
56 Posts
The first maintenance is at 5,000 miles and does not include an oil change. Maybe 6 months have elapsed and they estimated that 5,000 miles have accumulated. Call them up and explain the email you received and how many miles you have on the car, and they will decide the best course of action.

The oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.
wait the 5000 mile maintenance doesn't include an oil change? I thought you're supposed to change your oil every 3000 or 5000 miles? or did the factory installed full synthetic oil?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
wait the 5000 mile maintenance doesn't include an oil change? I thought you're supposed to change your oil every 3000 or 5000 miles? or did the factory installed full synthetic oil?
The oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Yes, they come factory fill with synthetic and they generally require 0W-20 (which is not available in a conventional oil). A few new Toyota vehicles now specify 0W-16.

Maintenance schedules are available on the Toyota website in the Warranty and Maintenance Guide for each vehicle. This is for vehicles sold in the USA. Toyota warranties and maintenance schedules may vary in other countries.

·
REV
56 Posts
The oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Yes, they come factory fill with synthetic and they generally require 0W-20 (which is not available in a conventional oil). A few new Toyota vehicles now specify 0W-16.

Maintenance schedules are available on the Toyota website in the Warranty and Maintenance Guide for each vehicle. This is for vehicles sold in the USA. Toyota warranties and maintenance schedules may vary in other countries.
So does my mean my camry can only use full synthetic 0w 20 oil? so after the free maintenance it's going to cost more per oil change

·
Registered
71 Posts

You are correct.

Covers normal factory scheduled maintenance for 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Certain models require a different maintenance schedule as described in their
Maintenance Guide.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
So does my mean my camry can only use full synthetic 0w 20 oil? so after the free maintenance it's going to cost more per oil change
Yes. That is why they don't use the word synthetic (because that might have kept you from buying the car) and also why they give you two free oil changes.

But the upside is that your car will last a lot longer and get better fuel mileage. If you do your own oil changes, the extra cost is negligible, but admittedly some oil change shops rip-off customers on synthetic oil changes. But since the oil change interval is increased to 10,000 miles that also cuts down on the cost.

·
South of the north pole
110 Posts
At 10000 miles / 15K km OCI, the key factor becomes oil filter life and quality. If one is going abide by that OCI, don't skimp on that oil change, and use a high quality oil filter. Otherwise, stick to a shorter interval for long term reliability. Off course, I can see lessees going for the longer interval, and turning the car in at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Including the Gen8 Camry 4-cylinder...

The American-market gen8 Camry 4-cylinder specs 0W16 engine oil, or 0W20 if you can’t find the 16. Don’t know what is spec’d elsewhere. It’s available from a few big names on the shelves at auto parts stores and hell-mart. It’s no more than about $2 per 5-qt jug more expensive than the 0W20 options where I live, and you do NOT have to look for the word ‘synthetic’ on the bottle. Simply find “GF-5” on the bottle and you’ve met the spec. The manual also specifies to change at 5k miles (in our 2018, anyway) if you used anything other than 0W16.

I have no idea what a quick-lube place would try to charge for a 0W16 oil change, or if they’ll even have that option yet.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Including the Gen8 Camry 4-cylinder...

The American-market gen8 Camry 4-cylinder specs 0W16 engine oil, or 0W20 if you can’t find the 16. Don’t know what is spec’d elsewhere. It’s available from a few big names on the shelves at auto parts stores and hell-mart. It’s no more than about $2 per 5-qt jug more expensive than the 0W20 options where I live, and you do NOT have to look for the word ‘synthetic’ on the bottle. Simply find “GF-5” on the bottle and you’ve met the spec. The manual also specifies to change at 5k miles (in our 2018, anyway) if you used anything other than 0W16.

I have no idea what a quick-lube place would try to charge for a 0W16 oil change, or if they’ll even have that option yet.
There are no conventional 0W-16 motor oils, at least so far, since only a full synthetic can achieve that viscosity range. At one time that was also true for 0W-20, but there are now a couple of synthetic blends out there, but no conventional motor oils.

I checked Walmart prices and their Mobil 1 0W-16 was the same price as all their other viscosities (about $23).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just a word to the wise for anyone considering buying a lease return from a rental car company where the engine is specd for 0/16. Some fleet maintenance companies are stomping their feet about having to pay extra for synthetic oil, so apparently theyve been using conventional oil exclusively and cheapest oil change option. I only know this because one of our customers refused to put the cheap oil in a new camrey for a lease company. It came to the point of lease company saying we ain't paying for synthetic and garage saying we're not putting non spec oil in, either use spec oil or take it elsewhere.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are no conventional 0W-16 motor oils, at least so far, since only a full synthetic can achieve that viscosity range. At one time that was also true for 0W-20, but there are now a couple of synthetic blends out there, but no conventional motor oils.
That’s not the point. The point is that if indeed there is only one option, a consumer who doesn’t especially care about oil technology does not need to look for nor care in the slightest about the word “synthetic.” It’s pointless and meaningless to them in that case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts