Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maintenance Required came on the dash of my 2018 Corolla L , no other sign or lights, just "Maintenance Required". I drove about 4000 milage since I changed engine oil and filter. And since the car is relatively new, I don't think it needs transmission fluid change, the brake fluid shows full too, so what could it be ? Thanks guys

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,478 Posts
MIL (for an 08 Camry) will typically flash around 4000 miles and will stay on at 5000 miles. It is just telling you to change your oil. Your choice if you want to or not.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Maintenance Required came on the dash of my 2018 Corolla L , no other sign or lights, just "Maintenance Required". I drove about 4000 milage since I changed engine oil and filter. And since the car is relatively new, I don't think it needs transmission fluid change, the brake fluid shows full too, so what could it be ? Thanks guys
From the owner manual : "Illuminates for about 3 seconds and then flashes for about 15 seconds approximately 4500 miles (7200 km) after the maintenance data has been reset. Comes on and remains on if the distance driven exceeds 5000 miles (8000 km) after the maintenance data has been reset. (The indicator will not work properly unless the maintenance data has been reset.)

Sound about normal. Remember that although the suggested oil change is at 10K, the maintenance guide also indicate a 5K maintenance (tire rotation and some visual inspection) so it's probably related to this and nothing else. So you may just reset it and do or not the tire rotation. I wonder if the light could be programmed to skip going on every 5K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MIL (for an 08 Camry) will typically flash around 4000 miles and will stay on at 5000 miles. It is just telling you to change your oil. Your choice if you want to or not.
. But last time I changed the oil after 6500 miles, this Maintenance Required sign didn't come through.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,702 Posts
The maintenance light is for oil (generally), it is not a CEL. I don't know if the newer Toyota's flash them to get you to do some other maintenance, but generally speaking it is your indicator the oil change interval is up. If you reset it, it will not come on again until 4,500 miles, then 5,000 (since it was last reset).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The maintenance light is for oil (generally), it is not a CEL. I don't know if the newer Toyota's flash them to get you to do some other maintenance, but generally speaking it is your indicator the oil change interval is up. If you reset it, it will not come on again until 4,500 miles, then 5,000 (since it was last reset).
There are two types of such lights. Toyota's "maintenance" light is based on fix mileage, a reminder based on the maintenance guide suggested 5K intervals (with oil change only every other one). An "oil life monitor" light wouldn't act on fixed mileage, but upon the condition of the oil. None, indeed, is equivalent to a CEL or a malfunction of any sort.

·
Registered
Toyota Corolla
13 Posts
Follow the owners manual but be a little more conservative.

Because your car is relatively new you are at the right place being here in this excellent forum. The good news is these Toyota's are very well made. Toyota's recommendations in the owners manual should be written in stone. Follow them and you will have a long lasting, safe economical car. Fudge and no so much.

I have just posted a number of supplements to Toyota's owners manual some of which may not apply if you are not a do it yourself person. However most of what I have written applies to all cars or trucks and all drivers, and you will benefit from the information financially and otherwise. Below is a link to my post. Good Luck.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-corolla-9th-gen-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/1652996-300-000-mile-corolla-matrix-my-owners-manual-additions.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
any way to check the oil life? % ? ik for every honda you just push the dash button and it shows your oil life like 40% left etc.... i've checked my corolla and doesn't seem like they have this feature which sucks....

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,478 Posts
any way to check the oil life? % ? ik for every honda you just push the dash button and it shows your oil life like 40% left etc.... i've checked my corolla and doesn't seem like they have this feature which sucks....
That "oil life" is probably just a mileage meter but shown in a away it shows "oil life percentage". 5000 miles = 0%, 2500 miles = 50%, etc.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,702 Posts

Like what Vang says, it is just a calc off the mileage. If you choose to do a 10k interval, then the math is pretty straightforward. Reset your trip meter (A or B, up to you) every time you change the oil, then in your head all you have to do is take the first two numbers on the trip meter and figure out what you need to add to make that 100; there's your percent life left.

3,237 miles on trip meter? That's about 68% life left (32 + 68 = 100).
7,789 miles = about 22% left (I rounded up: 78+22 = 100)

5k interval is only slightly more work in your head, but the thing is: the percentage left means nothing. The Maintenance light will start to flash when you are 500 miles out, then go solid when it is time. I chose 5k intervals on my Camry so I change the oil every time the last four digits of the ODO is either 0000 or 5000. About as easy as can be.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not in Toyota. Again those are just a reminder based on mileage. I assume Honda is like many others : an algorithm based not only on mileage but on number of starts-up, speed, temp vs hours, etc. I had one in a previous car and it would vary between 7K and 11K, according to conditions, to illuminate the "Change oil" light.

·
Registered
Toyota Corolla
13 Posts
I'm a little more conservative then that here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ1 View Post

Not in Toyota. Again those are just a reminder based on mileage. I assume Honda is like many others : an algorithm based not only on mileage but on number of starts-up, speed, temp vs hours, etc. I had one in a previous car and it would vary between 7K and 11K, according to conditions, to illuminate the "Change oil" light.

Here's is another better close-up of a Oil control filter that seen 3,000 mile oil changes. Oil is cheap. I think these things are capable of doing 300,000 plus with nothing but maintenance. But if you fudge look what is waiting your mistake.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Here's is another better close-up of a Oil control filter that seen 3,000 mile oil changes. Oil is cheap. I think these things are capable of doing 300,000 plus with nothing but maintenance. But if you fudge look what is waiting your mistake.
True, but at the same time, 3000K of long distance highway doesn’t produce the same result as 3000k of stop and go short trips. So a good (but how does one know?) algorithm in a "oil life" monitor may makes sense (again, that's not what the "maintenance" light in Corolla is). It’s also the reason why alleged long distance synth oil like Mobil 1 “annual” 20K (really?) have small characters saying to respect manufacturer recommendation anyway and/or a 700 hours limitation to cover their behind. I for one go with Toyota’s recommendation in Canada (5K vs 10K in US…) as an oil change is, indeed, relatively cheap and quick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Follow the owners manual but be a little more conservative.

Because your car is relatively new you are at the right place being here in this excellent forum. The good news is these Toyota's are very well made. Toyota's recommendations in the owners manual should be written in stone. Follow them and you will have a long lasting, safe economical car. Fudge and no so much.

I have just posted a number of supplements to Toyota's owners manual some of which may not apply if you are not a do it yourself person. However most of what I have written applies to all cars or trucks and all drivers, and you will benefit from the information financially and otherwise. Below is a link to my post. Good Luck.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-corolla-9th-gen-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/1652996-300-000-mile-corolla-matrix-my-owners-manual-additions.html
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts