Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newby here. Just added a 2019 4Runner Limited to my stable. Already own a 2015 Tacoma. I have a question about maintenance. The 4Runner has the same 4 liter as my Taco but it uses 0-20W versus 5-30W for my Taco. After reading the maintenance manual for the 4Runner it appears the oil change interval is 10K miles vs 5K for my Taco. Would someone please confirm this is the case. Also in my Taco it was recommended that the nickel spark plugs be changed at 30K. I went with Irridium in my Taco. Does anyone know if standard nickel plugs are used in the 4Runner? Thx for any education you can impart on this old timer.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Most manufacturers have gone to Irridium plugs because they last up to about 100K miles. Sometimes the plugs are not as easy to change as they used to be, due to more stuff in the way (but that depends on the engine.

Toyota and some other manufacturers have gone to synthetic motor oil (0W-20 viscosity cannot be achieved with conventional oil) and lower viscosities for two environmental reasons:
  1. Better fuel economy. CAFE requirements will be getting stricter and manufacturers must improve fuel economy to be in compliance. This is leading to a push for lower viscosity oils.

2. Minimize disposal of used oil and oil filters. With a synthetic oil, they believe they can get 10K miles between changes (yes, 10K miles is correct), which reduces disposal of used oil and filters. There are over one billion vehicle on the roads worldwide, and in places like the EU, there are regulations in place for longer oil change intervals. There is nothing to prevent you from changing your oil a little more frequently if you desire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most manufacturers have gone to Irridium plugs because they last up to about 100K miles. Sometimes the plugs are not as easy to change as they used to be, due to more stuff in the way (but that depends on the engine.

Toyota and some other manufacturers have gone to synthetic motor oil (0W-20 viscosity cannot be achieved with conventional oil) and lower viscosities for two environmental reasons:
  1. Better fuel economy. CAFE requirements will be getting stricter and manufacturers must improve fuel economy to be in compliance. This is leading to a push for lower viscosity oils.

2. Minimize disposal of used oil and oil filters. With a synthetic oil, they believe they can get 10K miles between changes (yes, 10K miles is correct), which reduces disposal of used oil and filters. There are over one billion vehicle on the roads worldwide, and in places like the EU, there are regulations in place for longer oil change intervals. There is nothing to prevent you from changing your oil a little more frequently if you desire.
Thx Mark888. Do you know if the new 4Runners have iridium plugs installed from the factory?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts