Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend picked up a 91 turbo last week. He ask me what parts of the engine should he start replacing for Maintenance propose. I told him change valve cover gasket, head gasket, spark plug, spark plug wire, drain all fluid and replace, fuel filter, the usual oil change and transmission oil, and timing belt. Do you guys know any other parts that needs to be looked at and change that usually people for get to do on a MR2. The previous owner was a lady who just use it for work commute. I think it still have the stock spark plug wire. So if anybody have any suggestion pls it would be nice thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. JandH you been a lot of help to me and every one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't do the head gasket unless it a) was bad. or b) you pulled the motor to do a complete biuld, in witch case I would with an HKS meatel HG and do all head work possable then too (i.e.: hone/tune, port pollish, oversize velves, duel (or true titanium) velve springs and retainers, and a cam). but thats me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
gonna bring this one back...i have a 91 N/A with almost 90k miles on it now...i bought it with around 80k and i have no records of maintenance...i've done my cap/rotor/plugs(NGK)/wires/air filter and also change the oil with either 5W-30 or 10W-30 every 2k or so...i also use intake cleaner and give my intake manifold a good scrubbing once in a while...oh, new clutch disc and bearing with new tranny fluid too...

now, maybe i'm not observant enough, or maybe the previous owner did a very good job of maintaining it, but even after all these tune-ups i hardly notice any difference in performance...so here is my question:

If I replace my fuel filter, do you think that will help me in anyway, performance-wise?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts