Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1996 Camry XLE V6 a couple weeks ago. Have not registered it yet, still sitting in the driveway. My question is, what maintnence should I do to it when I first start driving it since I just bought it. It has 61k miles, so I figure I will do the water pump and timing belt (owner stated it was never done). Also get the tranny and coolant flushed. The oil was changed a week be4 I bought it, so that should be fine, right? Anyone have any other ideas what I should do for it?

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
ASG14 said:
It has 61k miles, so I figure I will do the water pump and timing belt (owner stated it was never done).
Replace the 2 accessory belts too. They need to come off anyways to replace the timing belt.

Also get the tranny and coolant flushed. The oil was changed a week be4 I bought it, so that should be fine, right?
You should be good to go after doing what you said above.

·
Registered
Avalon
262 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the belts till 100K, I can't think of anyone who has had a belt break before then. My Avalon has 160K miles and I know it has the original belts and hoses. Tranny on the other hand I would do or have done. Have you ordered your Haines or Chilton manual yet? They are a fine investment, for your car. Other than that wait till stuff breaks, that's why you bought a Toyota. :D

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
injection cleaning too would be a good idea :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I will def get the haines manual. One of my friends is going to do the timing belt and water pump for me cheaper then the local shop. So that will save me a little money.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to change the timing belt to be safe. My mom has a '96 LE I4 Wagon and the timing belt started to die at around 70k miles, ya never know. And I figure, since the water pump is right there may as well spend a little bit more and replace it, cause it it breakes, it will then cost a lot more cause you have to take everything apart again.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot Nick, that helps a great deal. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts