Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, my friends,

I have stumbled upon a major problem with my 2001 V6 4wd Highlander 140k.:facepalm:
It's been an excellent car and has taken me to many places...

After many trouble-free miles, the only repairs required being the brakes and battery, regular oil changes, the car has developed a nasty oil leak. About 4ml per 3hour parking after driving.
This car has NEVER been abused. I have never exceeded more than 4500rpm with it.

I recently came back from a trip to CA (2000 miles). I noticed a leak under the car right after it was parked (was tying down a canoe). I immediately changed the oil and they told me it was a rear main seal which I've double checked.

To cut to the chase, I need to remove the transmission so I can expose the god forsaken seal and replace it. I have good mechanical knowledge and another car (1989 Saab 900:thumbsup:) which I restored painstakingly.
Has anybody done this? Does anyone have anything resembling step-by-step instructions?
Some concrete info?

Any help appreciated!

Let me know if you want photos of the leak.

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
Glad to hear the SUV has been so good to you so far. Cruising the forum I have not seen rear main seal issues with Highlanders. But the Camry V6 and Mini-van have the same engine. You might want to search there and see if there are any posts on the procdure.

Reactions: bsarikov

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rear main seal on the 1mz is actually not unheard of. Try googling highlander rear main seal and see what you come up with. Here is a guy with a camry that did it:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315704

This is not a small job. I've seen some people post around 8.5 hours to 13 hours. From what I have read it seems like it's straight forward, just a pain in the a**.

*edit* lenore posted a good link while I was searching. Some good info there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all of the links, I'll read through them very carefully.

Do you think the seal can be replaced with the engine in place but the transmission unattached to the side? Like changing the clutch on a front wheel drive car....

I'd like to speak directly to someone who's done it this car...do you think I should contact the man with the lexus?

The part only costs 10 dollars, but the labor is over 3,000!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes the tranny can be dropped without removing the engine...see the Lexus RX300 thread....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts