Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this problem by accident when leaning down to put air in the front tires. I put my hand on top of the wheel and pushed forward and the wheel moved forward without the car moving forward. When you push the wheel/tire forward there is a sqeaking sound and alot of movement front to back. It doesn't have any play when pushing it in towards the engine just front to back play.

Does anyone know what I need to replace?

The car is a 1990 Camry Sedan 4 cylinder with 203,000 miles on it and has never had any work done to the suspension or bearings, etc...

Thanks for any input

I hope my front wheels don't come off during my daily commute!

·
Registered
750 Posts
It sounds like the CV joint is gone. You should have had some clunking going on when putting it into gear. Try to spin your axles, to check for play. If it is the same on both sides, it could be the transaxle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally took it to Toyota to get the wheel movement problems fixed. They found the stabilizer bushing were worn out and replaced all 4 on the front end. Cost was $230 but it drives alot better now.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

·
Boss Honky
2,703 Posts
^^^^^^ :werd: That should have been a DIY project. It would have saved you boo koo bucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it might be weird to take a 15 yr old car to the dealer for a problem like this, But unfortunately I wasn't able to get the right answer using the forum. The only answer was CV Joints and/or transaxle. That would have been at least a $500 mistake and it still would've had the same problem. I wish I was a better troubleshooter but anyway thanks for the remarks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
caveat emptor

i saved over 500 by resetting my airbag warning light, cost me nothing. Dealer wanted 500 to initiate a first round of experimental repairs or some shit like that.

If your tranny ever starts going bad, sell the car at once. These cars are fairly reliable so they are worth keeping, however I would get an alarm because the gen 2's are one of the most stolen cars - taking 3-4 of the top 10 most stolen in recent years.

·
Registered
720 Posts
gpwhite7 said:
Yeah it might be weird to take a 15 yr old car to the dealer for a problem like this, But unfortunately I wasn't able to get the right answer using the forum. The only answer was CV Joints and/or transaxle. That would have been at least a $500 mistake and it still would've had the same problem. I wish I was a better troubleshooter but anyway thanks for the remarks.
I had difficulty visualizing your description of the problem. I find it weird that what you described was related to the sway bar. That's kind of the problem with forums or written material, it's tough to express things clearly - both the problem and the answers.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
could have been alot fo things, ball joints, control arms, cv joints, anything!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Just a side note. In the future when you have problems like that and trying to diagnose jack the car up and support it with jack stands then start moving parts to see what is moving. At taht point you may be able to get back on the forums and better describe the problem you are having. a good jack and jack stands shouldnt run you to much. They are good to have around the garage anyway for those do it yourself projects.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I could be mistaken, but my understanding

is that his car got front wheels having plays in the direction of
front-back (not side to side).

To me, it got to be the strut/control arm/boll joint assembly related, right?
With good strut/control arm/boll joint, how can wheels move in that direction?

It is definitely not CV joint/axle.

But he said the dealer fixed the stabilizer bushing, which I thought, is only related
to the streering. I must have missed something. Anyone know what
stabilizer/bushing does?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts