Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my vehicle in December and in February I got an email asking to provide my impressions in a survey of the vehicle. IIRC, the email said, to paraphrase, not to hold back comments on any aspect. I forgot about the email and got a second one some time later which I filled out the online survey....it was maybe 10-12 pages and took me maybe 20 mins to go through it.
I noted some things that I thought could be made better and some annoyances.
In particular, I noted medium to loud engine noise. Qualified it by stating in certain hilly conditions, certain speeds and acceleration, etc.
Mid March I get a call from the dealership where I bought the car saying Toyota was listening and responded by sending a team of power train engineers to the dealership to talk with me and 4-5 other people who noted engine noises, and asked if I'd come in to chat with them.
So I did, and based on the conversation they wired up 4 (maybe 6?) microphones and connected them to a audio recorder and we went for a ride, and I noted when the sounds started/stopped, etc. When we returned from the test drive, they asked if they could put a damper on the engine mount and we would go for a ride, record the interior noise again. I said sure, no problem. The damper noticeably reduced the growing engine noise. When we returned the 3 power train engineers and I listened to the before and after recordings and we all verified that the noise was reduced.
They said they are in the middle of testing and will be making some sort of modifications to the engine mounts in future model years. I asked of retro kits for current vehicles would be made available and they weren't sure.

Generally speaking, the engine noise didn't really bother me but I classified it as a unrefined sound from a vehicle that overall is fairly quiet. That was the only reason I marked it on the survey, never thinking it would be followed up on.

My take away is that sometimes they really do listen and act on customer feedback.
In many many years of vehicle ownership and talking to friends, relatives etc....no one had this kind of experience.
Oh, btw, they compensated me with $300 for my time....quite a perk!
J

·
Registered
879 Posts
Impressive yes. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is an exception to the rule not the norm. Congrats OP, you were king for the day.

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
4 cylinder, I presume? If yes, what did you expect? Toyota is KNOWN for noisy 4 cyl engines. Get 3.5L V6 hybrid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts