Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not Toyota related. I was hoping that there might be a mechanic out there that can answer my question.

Does anyone know if there is a way to extract the diagnostic codes from a 2001 Chevy Malibu without a scanner? I know it can be done on other cars. My buddies CEL came on on the way to work and I was hoping we could get the codes without having to go to the parts store.

Thanks.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,862 Posts
i dont know if this applies to all chevys, but i believe this is how you get it on a camaro...

DISPLAYING THE TROUBLE CODES
The language "may be possible" appears to suggest that this method should work with most, if not all, 12 pin DLC equipped cars.

THE CONNECTOR

-----------------------
| 1 2 3 4 5 6 |
| 7 8 9 10 11 12 |
-----------------------

Run a wire/hairpin from Pin 6 to Pin 12 with the ignition off (although on later cars it should be from Pin 5 to Pin 6), then turning the ignition to the on position without starting the engine will flash the "Service Engine Soon" light in the following sequence: flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause, flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause flash, pause, flash-flash, long pause Following this "12" code repeating three times will come any trouble codes stored, flashing each of them three times. If you do not see the "12" flash three times, your diagnostic circuit is defective.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I might give that a try if he doesn't get Autosloth to read them for him over the weekend.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
OBD-II can actually extract codes without a scanner? You sure? :confused:

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,862 Posts
^ yup, we checked codes on my buddys 2000 blazers that way. its just a pain counting the number of CEL blinks. though a $35 code reader is the best option!

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
You can use the code reader for free at most auto-places (Autozone, checkers, etc).

Edit: And I don't know anything about OBD-I//OBD-II but I do know on my car, there are both. The OBD-I is in the engine bay and I can read the codes (using blinks) and diagnose the problems. However, the OBD-II has a port and Volvo has a special head which most auto-stores do not carry.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
CamNub said:
You can use the code reader for free at most auto-places (Autozone, checkers, etc).

Edit: And I don't know anything about OBD-I//OBD-II but I do know on my car, there are both. The OBD-I is in the engine bay and I can read the codes (using blinks) and diagnose the problems. However, the OBD-II has a port and Volvo has a special head which most auto-stores do not carry.
OBD1 can just as much be hooked up to a scanner, too.

1994/1995 - for GM at least - tended to be a supermutant year between OBD1 and 2... you couldn't really pull codes by shorting terminals and you had to have a really good scanner otherwise. Similarly, the gap in OBD1 and proprietary Toyota on-board diagnostics meant that the 1989 Cressida was a bit of a mutant too.

As well, do not bother with the "code reader" plugin thingies for OBD1. Take a paperclip or jumper wire. Short the same terminals that the $30 reader does. Voila, same shit.*

Honestly, if you can do the blinks for checking CODES, don't bother with scan tools. If you want to extract DATA for whatever purpose - tuning or whatnot - then it'd be a good idea to have one.

Just my two yen.

*i'm not responsible if you fuck up and short the wrong things

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. He was going to have them checked at the local parts place this weekend. However, I haven't seem him since Friday. We had Monday off and I had to take today off to go to the hospital for my wife's broken wrist. DOH!

I'll let you know how we make out later in the week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts