Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so here is my basic question, which transmission is stronger? I would eventually want about 300hp so i want the strongest out of the two. I noticed that is the auto is lighter so i would really rather go with that one.

thanks

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
On the scion models the manual's get 1 mpg LESS than the auto. A manual trans. would be quicker. If you are planning on boosting get the manual.

·
Not so Noob now!
564 Posts
Give me a manual any day! Keep the wife from borrowing the car...

·
Registered
35 Posts
This just depends on what you want to do and how extreme you want to go. I have heard arguements either way. The manual does not rob as much horsepower, however, it is harder to control and get good at shifting if you are going to go turbocharged in the future. I own a 300ZXTT and the common issue with a manual is that if you go to much horsepower, you have to learn to go through the gears really quickly to you don't redline under boost and cause knocking. Stillen, a Z specialty store, recommends a automatic for people wanting very high horsepower. The manual is ok for people that just want to boost the HP to a certain limit. If you are going to keep it as your daily driver, then I would go with the manual, that is what I bouht, but if you plan on going with extreme power increases and want to drag the car, I would go with the automatic for ease of shifting and better shifting points that will not cause knocking and damage to your motor. Just my thought and opinion though. Up to you in the long run.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
yeah, but u're takling about performance built autos, in which case u'd change it out anyways. these are economy and comfort auto's. I think the stock manual vs. the stock auto, the manual could probably hold better boost, along with having better shift points.

·
Registered
35 Posts
02RSX90Camry,

You could be right. I am not sure though. I don't know what the plan is with this car. They said 300HP. That is pretty significant over the stock engine. The tranny may need to be beefed up in order to support that anyway. It may not make any difference which they purchase. The tranny may not like the extra stress. Don't know until someone tries it though. You make a good point though. The stock auto may be weak and not support much of a power increase at all where the manual may be able to take some increase before it breaks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2AZ-FE is pretty much right on the nose on this one. Id have say on a stock setup for the most part on a casual car and wanting around 300hp Id go with a manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you're planning on racing anywhere besides the straight line, get a manual. that way you control what gear you go into and come out of turns in. exit speed is key and you've gotta be able to keep the car in it's power band, especially with car that's probably gonna end up with more hp than torque and the meat of its power up high in the RPMS.

·
it was all a dream
4,204 Posts
^ He wasn't asking for your opinion on them. He was asking for facts.

Pu_DeKcUf: If we are talking about stock transmissions from the factory, which I assume we are, then the manual transmission is definitely stronger. So it should suit your goal of 300hp fine. Im surprised to hear that the auto is lighter. Is that a fact?? Almost every automatic transmission I know about is heavier than it's manual transmission counterpart. Some by as much as 100+lbs.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
CamNub said:
Manual. It gets better gas milage and an auto sucks power.

Plus, its funner to drive.
funner isn't even a word...

·
it was all a dream
4,204 Posts
How about you re-read your own post objectively and tell me that it isn't suggesting that the only reason manual is the "way to go" is because automatics are for gays.

Not to mention it reeks of immaturity. :hammer:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Manual. Shift points are controlled by -- YOU :).

For tC, in particular, I'd add lower ratio final drive, if available. 29mph in first, 50mph in second... those are very short gears. No one wants to work them that fast.

Longer gears will allow power to be spread more evenly. Yes, you'll get less pull and acceleration, but think of traction -- can't accelerate if you're spinning tires. Hence, reaching 60+ in 2nd is the way to go on anything around 300bhp. You'll be running in mid-5s to 60. Very purty numbers :).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ratko said:
How about you re-read your own post objectively and tell me that it isn't suggesting that the only reason manual is the "way to go" is because automatics are for gays.

Not to mention it reeks of immaturity. :hammer:
Sorry if the gay thing offended you.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here is my logic on choseing to drive the 5-speed:

Manual Advantages:
-More Power (less drive train loss)
-Faster (shift closer to the optimal time, not when the auto wants to)
-Cheaper to buy
-Cheaper to repair
-Better gas mileage (not as true in the tC but it means the 5-speed is geared that much faster)
-More fun to drive
-More Control of the car

Automatic Advantages:
-Can be lazy
-If you need to eat a big mac and put on make-up while driving in stop and go traffic, the auto is easyier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts