Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if this is a real topic anymore, but I wanted to be more specific with the work that I did. To sum things up, I had a 95 Geo Prizm and a 94 Corolla parts car. I wanted the power windows and a few other things from the parts car.

I'm sorry this is going to suck. I might have someone who knows how to do a write up redo this (I should charge for my grammar Nazi assistance. He didn't want credit for editing this so we will just call him JW!)

Before even starting this project, you should plug the main plug in and test all windows the and door locks.

This is 100% plug and play. You do not have to cut any wires. My Prizm had power mirrors, so I cut the 2 wires for that so that I could feed them through the rubber boot for the doors. But other than that, it is all plug and play. Anyway, to make this work, you're going to have to:

1. Remove the kick panels, gauges, radio, passenger airbag (if applicable; not required but makes this job much easier,) driver side air vents, the trim on the pillars (behind the seats where the seat-belts are attached,) door panels, windows, and the window regulators.

This is the blue power box at the bottom by the door where you plug in the harness.
2. You're going to want to follow the wiring harness that plugs in on the driver side and remove it. Sorry, I don't have any pictures, but this harness goes from the kick panel to the other kick panel and through the dash. If I remember right, there is a box that's black or orange depending on the car behind the radio and near the airbag that's attached to it. You don't have to remove the dash, I didn't and it went well. However, if you want to remove the dash, more power to you.

This is the box by the airbag behind the radio (corolla)

This is the box by the airbag behind the radio (prizm.)

3. You're going to need to mod your door panels, or simply use the ones from the loaner car. I did mine with a knife, it worked fine, but you could be a little more professional with it. Just make sure you don't cut to much because it will need to be covered by the new door handle.

4. Run the new harness exactly where the old one went. You wanna make sure its not in the way of anything like the airbag. I feel there's a reason it's ran the way its ran and if you would ever get into a wreck you don't want the airbag igniting your wires and possibly sparking a fire. I know that's extreme and that's what fuses are for, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
5. My vehicle had power mirrors and the loaner didn't, so i added the mirror harness to the bigger harness. It was a separate plug and everything. Then, I ran the wires out to the door and hooked the wires and the power crank up. On a side note, my vehicle had power locks, so I'm not sure if that's separate or not. You may need to invest in the lock things for the doors but it should be plug and play as well.

6. Install all the new window regulators and glass. Make sure everything is plugged in and working.

7. Install all the trim and anything your removed and there you go, you should have working windows and door locks.

I loved doing this myself. It was very worth the work and was a fairly simple project.

The only documentation I have of my work is my video and these few pictures, though I didn't take any pictures. I'm sorry, I didn't think about it. If you want see the driver window in the testing phase, feel free to check out my video:

http://youtu.be/BgQHCtHcTC0

·
Weazler
94 Corolla Base
903 Posts
:pics:

This post confused the hell out of me. (why not just trace the wires or use a diagram and wire them in manually?
For any DIY or "how to" threads pics are a must. It's very hard to tell what each item is with a very short text description.

Much appreciation for the post, but I agree with you. This should be re-done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i should have specified lol its all plug and play unless you want to add like the power mirrors and all the would be is adding that plug to run beside the rest of the harness im looking for pictures i may have taken at the time how do i put them on here do i use like photobucket and just html them in or is there a way to upload them to a post
bear with me i found the edit button so i can edit my first post to make it better but im gonna need help as this is my first real post anywhere im sorry guys to put this onto you just trying to get my info out there

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,978 Posts
You can create a photobucket account at www.photobucket.com and easily upload pictures from your computer or mobile device via the "upload" button. Once uploaded you can click the picture you want to share, and off to the right will be lines of code. one of which will be IMG. Click that line of text, and on your next post you can right click, select paste and it should be visible after you post.

Welcome to the forum, and it's pretty awesome you want to share how do do this conversion with everyone. Please don't think this rude, but a little punctuation would go a long way in making your "how to" more easily understood. Again, welcome to the forums. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.