Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been battling for months with a severely dragging clutch(grinds if you put in gear w/engine running, will lurch if you attempt to start in gear). Replaced a blown flex line(no go), replaced slave, then master(2x), adjusted pedal free play to minimum, and it worked well for awhile. Found the pedal bracket with the infamous corner crack reinforced it with a bolt/plate thru firewall(still a little flex in pedal, the whole mount area is cheezy AF) but it worked well for a week or so, now dragging again! Bled repeatedly and took it in for power bleed, worked a bit better(useable but draggy), now back to severe dragging. Bottom line, I need to know the amount of throwout fork travel(at slave cylinder) that is required for proper clutch operation. There ought to be a spec on this, as it's the single central requirement for a proper clutch disengagement, but I've yet to find that spec. I've seen 1" mentioned, is that adequate or not??? I'll dive in to internal clutch repair, but till I find that spec I'm looking for, I'm not inclined to go that route. I still suspect insufficient clutch throwout. Input greatly appreciated.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,793 Posts
Hey there fast Eddie! I broke your post out into its own thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone with a good operational clutch that is same as my '94 V-6 4x4, I'd really appreciate if you could do me a favor and reasonably measure lever travel at your slave cylinder to establish once and for all what a solid clutch "throwout" measures. I'm about to pull the trans to inspect clutch, but still suspect throwout issue. I should also mention that my grandson who is the owner, has put a 52" braided steel line in place of the lower factory steel tube section, and i'm beginning to suspect that of swelling and absorbing some of the hydraulic energy. Anyone have issues with aftermarket flex lines(especially 52", that's a long run). It worked well when new last summer, but it could be failing. Any thoughts?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,576 Posts
52" is a really a long run fer a soft line. Do you happen to know what brand and model that line is? I would try going back to the original hard line and see if it doesn't resolve the issue. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, don't know brand...I'm still hoping someone can give me a quick measure of their clutch throwout measurement or even just a video shot...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, it appears the 52" line was the deciding factor. When I replaced it with the stock part, the clutch worked. The small amount of hydraulic pressure/travel absorbed by the line caused insufficient travel at the throwout lever. Well, the truck now has a new clutch, too, but it probably could've gotten by a bit longer without that overhaul.

·
Registered
'84 2WD Pickup
379 Posts
. . . it appears the 52" line was the deciding factor . . the truck now has a new clutch, too, but it probably could've gotten by a bit longer without that overhaul.
Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. You can't go wrong with a new clutch. The labor will be quickly forgotten, but the performance will live on for years.

Just for the record, did you record your lever travel? How much did it improve when you swapped out the flexible line?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts