Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2010 corolla base model with a 5 speed last week. I noticed a few days later that the 4th gear grinds after the car is fully warmed up. This happens whenever you shift into 4th above 2500 rpms.
I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow. Any tips on what to say to get the transmission replaced? The car has 7,800 miles on it and I purchased the Platinum Toyota certified pacakage which is supposed to be bumper to bumper 7 year / 100k miles.

Also I'm gonna try to get the steering computer replaced because of the highway wander.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Mike

·
TN Stalker
2010 Blue Corolla S
1,249 Posts
getting the steering computer replaced is a hefty job but im glad i made them do it
so dont 'try' to get it replaced... make them replace it. also im pretty sure its part of some internal bulletin, so they shouldnt be giving you a hard time about it.

as for your 4th gear... i have no clue... sorry bud... gotta wait for the professionals
:D

·
Registered
10 Corolla S
32 Posts
I've got the exact opposite problem. I'll get a grind when shifting to 3rd and sometimes 4th with the transmission cold. Tried changing fluid, didn't help. Doesn't do it if I double clutch.

I've all but decided to get rid of the corolla because of this and other problems.

·
THE CHRIS
2014 Veloster Turbo
1,093 Posts
Find the TSD, print it out and bring it with you next time you are at the dealer.

I have experienced the highway wander on these cheapo tires on my gold wheels, but not at all with the new tires on my OEM wheels. i'm not inclined to go visit the dealer until my next oil change.

As for the 4th gear issue, you can try changing the fluid... how many miles?

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Your trans issue is most likely a bad synchro. They won't replace an entire transmission for that, but they should replace the synchro under your warranty coverage.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I will tell you a trick that can potentially remedy this situation.

Try switching to Redline synthetic transmission oil MT-90. With the higher viscosity, the oil will be more slippery and it will reduce the load on the synchros as there will be less friction.

I have seen many people who have been able to almost eliminate the grinding issue. It may work for you as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts