Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am going to change the clutch, pressure plate, bearings and rear oil seal in the next week or two. Factory book says not to change oil in the transmission (5 speed), and there appears to be no maintence schedule for an oil change in the owners manual. Would seem to be the thing to do since it will be out on a jack, easy to get to and has about 94000 miles on it. ( 1981 ). Might even save a bit of an oil spill on my concrete while wresling the transmission out. What kind of advice would you give to me? Save money on the oil or not? I will assume I can get new oil from a Toyoto dealer. It might be time to also change the differential oil, since I will be down for a couple of days. Same question for it also, yes or no? Thanks for reading and thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
905 Posts
the book says " not to " ??? ..... throw THAT book out . its crap .

the oil should be changed @48K kilometers , (20K Miles) 75-90 gear oil is what is used , 80-90 is the most common .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Drain the oil since you are taking transmission out anyway and put new oil when everything is back together. It is not really different in principle from changing the oil in the engine - it just doesnt get as dirty as fast. You can get manual transmission oil at any auto supply store. You don't have go to the dealer.

Kyle

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just changed the diff oil and manual tranny oil in my 85 Toy P/U. Both of the oils looked really bad. It had been 70,000 miles since I had done it last.

Change the oil in both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts