Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 4.0L 6 speed manual. Under light to moderate cruising in 4th gear, the transmission - shifter pops out into neutral. This has occured about 40 times since last August. It is very intermittent and only happens randomly. Maybe a bad synchronizer? I have never been able to get it to pop out by trying anything on que...same with the technician. The truck has 40,000 kilometers on it. The dealer wont do anything until they see it happen themselves. However, I recently caught 2 occurences of it happening on video. I will be showing it to them soon.
Any insights?

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
It's happened to me once. But it was a pretty extreme circumstance. I was in 4LO and in second gear revving out of some mud. I double pumped the clutch and it popped out.
That's the only "WTF" moment I've had with it.

·
Registered
Toyota Tacoma
182 Posts
Mine does this all the time as well..... only when my trans is really hot though, like quick stop and go around town or accelerating from toll booths after driving on the highway for a while. I wouldn't say it's the synchronizer only because they help to get you into gear, not out. There are detents that allow a spring pressured check ball to fall into place on the shift rod for each gear. This will hold the rod from coming out of gear and when you overcome the spring pressure while shifting out, the shifter naturally springs toward neutral because of other springs that are always applying pressure. All i can figure is that the bolt that is backing the detent needs to be tightened if possible, or a stronger spring replacement, because the spring can't hold the shift rod in hot conditions. I believe 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio which would mean that there will be less resistance/ binding in 4th gear while cruising than any other gear because in an underdrive or overdrive gear there will always be pressure applying in the teeth of those meshing gears even at a cruise which will hold it from trying to slip out so easily.

I was flying like a bat out of hell last week leaving a toll booth onto the highway and a newer mustang was trying to keep up with me. All of a sudden i see my rpms go through the roof, i look down and sure enough my shifter slipped out of 4th which surprised me because this problem has only happened to me in cruising conditions. I don't know but my buddy's dad told me he was messing around with his buddy at a red light and said his auto trd sport killed his buddy's new mustang which was the v8. He said he thought he must've been spinning the tires but when he asked the guy, the guy said he just couldn't keep up! When i saw the mustang in my rear view he certainly didn't appear to be gaining any on me, but he certainly flew by after it popped out of 4th! Since when did tacoma trucks start accelerating quicker than mustangs??? I Love my VVTi!

·
4 Wheels of Fury
2005 Toyota Tacoma
49 Posts
You're definately not alone. I've had this happen as well. It definately isn't "all the time" persay, but maybe once every couple months I'll be on the highway cruising and for no reason the shifter will pop into neutral and I get to hear my truck scream like a banshee.

Mushy's explanation sounds pretty good but I wouldn't even know where to begin in regards to adjusting/replacing the springs. Might be worth mentioning this to the garage when you show them your video.

Let us know what you find out. I for one would be interested.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
You guys are just unlucky I guess? I have never had any problems. I am running fully syn. Redline Racing MT fluid though! ;)

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Tacoma
34 Posts
I used to have an '07 DC that on maybe 4 or 5 occasions the shifter popped out on me. But these were always cases where I was doing something other than steering/shifting (like text messaging, picking my nose, etc) and I let the RPMs get close to redline, and then all of a sudden the shifter would pop into neutral. It mostly happened in 1st to me, because going from stop to redline in 1st gear usually takes me, oh, 25 feet? Haha. At first I though it was some sort of new safety feature that was going to take the truck out of gear and kill the engine (to avoid blowing up the engine from over-rev). But my '09 hasn't done it at all yet. Now that I think back on it, it seems like the high RPMs in the low gear was shaking the shifter enough to force it back out into neutral. Who knows...:confused:...good luck finding out though!

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
Our 1996 started doing this in 5th gear. Took it to Aamco right away. They replaced the plastic piece around the top of the gearbox where the shifter comes out of it. It had broken into pieces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I showed the dealership the video footage and theyre on top of things now. They had never seen that happen before. I should be expecting a new transmission under warranty once corporate reviews the footage.....so get your vid camera out is my advice.

·
Registered
Toyota Tacoma
182 Posts
i hope you get a new trans. and don't experience this problem anymore. I am far from warranty yet i am not worried.... it's my "make sure i'm paying attention" feature that only special people got to get so as far as i'm concerned, i'm doing good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts