Toyota Nation Forum banner

many trouble cides

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  timf1981 
#1 ·
My neighbors 2008 prius
He has had it 2 years
In the past he has replaced both front rotors, one headlight bulb, and the 12 volt battery.
This week big red triangle light on dash came on. There is also a (circular brake light on?)
And the tcs light is on. Not sure if they all came on at once. Car seems to run ok. I asked him about how much the car runs on battery. He believes it never ran much at all on just battery. I took it fir a short ride. It seems to run fine. The engine will turn off at a complete stop. But kicks right back on with light acceleration. Big battery is I believe at 58%. All 14 cells appear to be at 326.35 volts.
He hates cars and if it runs he dosent pay much attention to dash lights.
He took it to dealership. They think it needs a new inverter converter. They did not spend much time digging into it. But they gave him an estimate for $5700 for new inverter.
Here are all the codes I read. I currently do not know if the ac worked this summer.
If you are familiar with these codes. Which ones are related?
I will check the inverter pump first. I believe this car has a inverter coolant pump recall. I don’t know if it has been performed.
Are all the ac codes related to the main inverter converter?
Does the ac have it’s on inverter?

OEM present codes and OEM read codes
B1421 solar sensor circuit passenger side
B1473 air conditioner inverter start up signal system malfunction
B 1498 communication malfunction (air conditioning inverter local) also OEM pass code

OEM current codes OEM history codes
P0A08 DC/DC converter status circuit
P3108 lost communication with air conditioning system control module.

OEM history codes OEM read codes
C1310 malfunction in HV system

See less See more
#2 ·
It's electric AC so most of those codes are related to that.
I see only one related to hybrid inverter - P0A08. That's different from AC inverter.
This may cause C1310, inverter being part of the hybrid synergy drive.
Find a local shop that specializes in hybrids, take 2nd opinion.
Inbetween, check simple thing like inverter cool;ant level in inverter coolant reservoir. Long rectangular canister with pink fluid at the top of HSD.
Don't confuse with the AC inverter. That is way out of my pay rate.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply..
I am a DIY GUY. With lots of car experience. Just not prius.
Not interested right now in paying another $150 for diagnostics. Maybe later. I know I can pick up the large converter on top of the engine used for $100. And I know I need to disconnect the high voltage battery. And I will be doing tons of research before digging into it.
Can you clear up some terms? Which ones are referring to same part.
DC/DC converter
AC inverter
Inverter/converter
HSD

Do you think just one item is causing all the ac codes? My neighbor did inform me the ac was working all summer. I don't know if it is working now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.