Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
:clap: just finished the mod works awsome !! :whatwhat: i used the tip42 transistor and the 330 resistor both from radio shack . i hooked it up so it works in conjunction with the dome light , i do have one question if anybody can input that would be great just have one concern what if i leave the door open for awhile like 30 minutes will the transistor get hot and fry or is thing just working for second till its next command?

·
Registered
52 Posts
:clap: thanks bro!
Pb said:
The only thing I deleted was the first attempt at this mod, which was using a relay instead of a transistor. Using a transistor is much better and actually easier than using a relay. Just read through the thread a few times, and look at pics. You'll figure it out. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok i hooked up the map ligthts to work in conjunction with the dome light now if i want to make the dome light come on when the door opens and not the map lights can i put like a kill switch on the wire that runs from the dome to the transismiter ? what i mean by a kill swithch is a on off switch ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
ceez said:
ok i hooked up the map ligthts to work in conjunction with the dome light now if i want to make the dome light come on when the door opens and not the map lights can i put like a kill switch on the wire that runs from the dome to the transismiter ? what i mean by a kill swithch is a on off switch ?
Yes, I suppose you could do that.

But, why do the mod if you don't want the map lights to come on, too? :confused:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
ceez said:
:clap: just finished the mod works awsome !! :whatwhat: i used the tip42 transistor and the 330 resistor both from radio shack . i hooked it up so it works in conjunction with the dome light , i do have one question if anybody can input that would be great just have one concern what if i leave the door open for awhile like 30 minutes will the transistor get hot and fry or is thing just working for second till its next command?
Naw, the transistor won't get that hot. They reach a certain temp and then level off. They don't keep getting hotter as time goes on.

·
Registered
2005 TOYOTA TACOMA
218 Posts
Just finished my dome light mod. Works awesome!!! I went to our Toyota store and looked through the terminal ends. I used a terminal end on terminal 3, instead of bending it. Thanks for all the great info!!!

·
nooB nooB noo
06 Taco
545 Posts
Did mine this afternoon as well. Ooooooooooo, aaaaaaaaaah, OOOOOOOOOOOh. It works the balls. Gotta pop the dome light back down though, the screw can touch the roof :disappoin and turn the lights back on.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
I put the screw head on top and the nut on bottom. No worries about it touching the roof.

·
Registered
07 Taco Dbl Shrt Bd
8 Posts
How about swapping the wires around on the map lights (so the switch side is the ground) and connecting a wire from the dome light to the map lights and use a diode to prevent the dome comming on with the map lights. Worked form me. Its a lot easier. and cheaper.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I guess that could work. It'd help if I could see it though. Post some pics of how you did it.

·
Registered
07 Taco Dbl Shrt Bd
8 Posts
It does work. I attached a wire fromthe dome lights negative trigger from the door (blue?) and then swapped the wires around on the plug for the map lights. So now the switch controls the ground not the 12V. On the prong that connects to the bulb, the ground side, connect/solder a wire. Put a diode in between with the silver band on the side facing the dome light. Now the map lights come on with the door open. Mine has been working for 3 weeks now. So the dome circuit must support the load.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I sold my ScanGuage overhead console and got a new one. I figured this would be a good chance to try Install Pimps new method. It's so simple. I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it. It works perfectly, and no need for a transistor. All you need is a diode from Radio Shack.

Ignore those red T-taps. That's the connections for my Homelink mirror.

You need to swap the positive and negative sides of the map lights, so I just popped out the connectors and swapped them to the opposit side. I used a straight dentist pick to pop out the tab that locks the connectors into the plug.

I also used the dentist pick here

Moderator Note:
There is no need for a diode. Begin reading at post #191 to complete this mod without one:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...ome-dome-light-new-method-13.html#post2491737

There are several places you could connect the diode to ground, but I chose here.

Put a male spade connector on the end and cover with heatshrink. Make sure the band on the diode faces away from the map lights. Diodes only work in one direction. The diode is what keeps your dome light from turning On when you just want the maplight On.

That's it.

Here's the connection at the dome light.

If you have LED bulbs in your maplights then you might need to pop them out and flip them around since some LEDs will only work with proper polarity.

141 - 160 of 266 Posts