Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please let me know if there are any map updates to the 2012 Camry LE Navigation system. Also, how is the update done and what does it cost?

Is this a dealer only thing or can I do it on my own.

Thanks

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
I'm sure there are updates.

For most OEM systems it is around $200 for the latest map and they only come out once a year, and you update with a blank USB key.

It is cheaper to buy a Garmin with lifetime map updates, but less convenient.

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
I called my dealership about a month ago or so and they said the new map updates would be out sometime in November and would be $169. Along with the updated map data you will also get any Gracenote database updates. From what I was told the update is done by the dealership.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dang. I was wondering this. Tried finding a torrent online or something. I read online that people are able to DIY this with the "USB OR DVD DRIVE"...

I've seen some version on ebay for 40$ ish... assuming those are the pirated versions, I can't pay for that... I'd rather get my hands on the free thing ;)

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
Map update info for Display Audio w/Nav & Entune

I was getting mixed messages about the map update for my '12 SE which has the Display Audio System with Navigation and Entune. I was originally told earlier this year that the update would come on a USB flash drive I would have to order. I recently called my dealership as the new map updates are now available and they told me it comes on a CD. I called Toyota Customer Service and was told the same thing.

I emailed my tech contact at Toyota who has been extremely helpful over the last few years and they responded:

The map update will have to be done downloaded by the dealer through a special USB tool. You need to purchase an update code (Activation card number, ACN) to allow the dealer to log into to the system to activate the map download to your nav system. The current ACN is retailed at $169 and dealer will charge for labor/installation with additional cost. The map update comes with the gracenote update too.

You may want to wait for another 2-3 months since we will be offering another map update within that time frame.

I'm going to wait until the next update is available at this point. Sucks that we have to pay for labor but I can't imagine it would be more than 1/4 hour.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
5 hours for download at 56 Kbps - all billable to the customer >:D

Just kidding, but I could almost see them doing that ...

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
5 hours for download at 56 Kbps - all billable to the customer >:D

Just kidding, but I could almost see them doing that ...
No doubt! It really makes no sense to do it this way. I know they want to prevent people from illegally copying and selling/downloading the map updates but I am sure there are other ways they can accomplish this and still provide the updates on a flash drive so that the owner can update the map data themselves. The newer systems (2014.5+) have an SD card for their map data so these owners would just order the new SD card map update. Why are they using such an intrusive method for updating their older nav systems? $169 is a lot to shell out but then to add dealership labor costs on top of that is not a good example of customer focus.

I wrote back to the tech that Toyota needs to step up their game and allow US/Canadian owners to directly download map updates like customers can in Europe. It seems to me there is a big disconnect between Toyota North America and Toyota Europe when it comes to their infotainment and navigation systems and it makes no sense since they are all part of the same company.

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
Can someone please let me know if there are any map updates to the 2012 Camry LE Navigation system. Also, how is the update done and what does it cost?

Is this a dealer only thing or can I do it on my own.

Thanks

I just re-read your post and noticed you said you have a 2012 LE. The navigation system was not available as an option on the 2012 Camry LE, one of several reasons I went for a SE. Did you mean XLE?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems an outrageous price to tweak a system that we already paid a premium price to have included. This owner won’t be taken advantage of - it’s a matter of principle!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts