Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you encountered law enforcement officers who said the marker lights were illegal? I understand owners in several states faced this. I was wondering how it was resolved? The issue locally is that state DMV law prohibits elevated white lights, but the same state DMV allows dealers to sell them. To make matters worse, if they are disconnected by the user, the vehicle will not pass state DMV inspection.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I assume your talking about aftermarket tailights such as Clears and Altezza's. Yes some of the aftermarket ones are illegal. They either aren't DOT approved or don't pass DOT standard for tail lights (ie they aren't red when your on the brakes)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I was not clear. I mean the marker lights (also called image lights in some places) on the sideview mirrors. The lights are standard. It's apparently a problem in Rhode Island and New Hampshire (and several other states.) Not sure about Mass.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If its OEM sold by the car manufacuterer, it has to be DOT legal in the state they are sold.

A cop can attempt to write a ticket ( I have heard of Evo and STi owners getting ticket for their rear wings), but they will look foolish if they are fought in court.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Making a cop (in a small town) look foolish is not necessarily the most attractive option. It would be better if this could be resolved without judicial involvement. Anyone with successful experiences?

·
Registered
84 4X4 toyota pickup
342 Posts
we haven't had any encounters with law enforcement but my dad put some chistmas lights on the roof rack and we think a few of the people we've been behind have thought we were cops because of the marker lights and lights on top. come to think of it an FJ would make one hell of a squad car.

·
SUPERCRUISERS.COM
4 Posts
We have several customers with FJs in RI. No one has had any problems yet. I belive if they are oem, then you are all set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone encountered difficulty in Rhode Island. (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/4057-mirror-lights-wont-shut-off-help.html). The issue seems/seemed to be amber versus white and the lack of a turn-off switch. Regulations are somewhat vague here, but say something about no white lights above a certain height (which equates to grill level), but they don't address the intensity of the lights... I'm hoping to find someone who has had the problem and gotten it resolved...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts