Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab. I recently purchased a K&N air filter. After the install it ran rough for a few minutes and the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said the Mass Air Flow sensor was contaminated by the pre-oiled K&N Filter and the cost to replace the sensor was $300. Anybody know if this is hard to replace? Don't really want to shell out $300 for a sensor.

Any help greatly appreciated.:D

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Seems to me your filter would have to be dripping oil to cause any harm at all. Seems more likely that there is a vacuum hose left undone or something, what was the code?

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
Yeah, either a vacuum hose or it's the MAF, the stealer is jerking you around. The K&N is notorious for fouling up the MAF with the oil. You can clean the MAF yourself. Just unbolt the MAF and spray with some electrical contact cleaner. Make sure the cleaner is "plastic safe". You can get a can from any hardware store or Radio Smack.

Like I said, take off the MAF carefully and librally spray down the little thin wire(s) in the MAF. DO NOT touch the wire(s) with anything but the cleaner, becuase if you break it, it will cost you 3 Benjamins for a new one. Here's a link for the procedure in detail, it's about half way down the page.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/maintenancep5.html#maf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts