Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so just been driving my car and all seemed fine, then the idle got really rough, went from say 1k-3k and back and forth like it was struggling to stay on and then cut off.

I got it back started and tried to make it back home, but then the car kept trying to cut off and made some really loud puttering noises and then died again. I had to get a tow and I checked the battery, see no problems there.

Any ideas on what this could be? :confused:

It's a 92 Corolla btw.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's the same part that I'm thinking about, I replaced it back in June of this year with a brand new one, along with new plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor.

Any tests I can do to be 100% sure?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
In addition to checking the ignition (coil,ignitor) check the timing belt to see if it is broken or jumped due to missing ribs.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In addition to checking the ignition (coil,ignitor) check the timing belt to see if it is broken or jumped due to missing ribs.
Where is the timing belt located? All I see atm are the belts for the power steering and /or alternator.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cap, rotor, coil and wires are all in great shape. I just went over them really thoroughly. I do however smell burning rubber after it starts to sputter and cut off.

I'm thinking it prob is something with the timing belt. If anyone has any pics of where it's located and any link or info of how to replace/time I would be forever grateful.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
If the belt was changed in due time and the tensioner works, they very seldom loose teeth. If the belt is loose then it will quickly lose teeth, but it doesnt take a long time to do it and that would account to installation error. Then if the belt has never been changed, then it can fail due to old age.

I replaced it back in June of this year with a brand new one
Well that doesnt really say anything, even brand new parts can fail.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the belt was changed in due time and the tensioner works, they very seldom loose teeth. If the belt is loose then it will quickly lose teeth, but it doesnt take a long time to do it and that would account to installation error. Then if the belt has never been changed, then it can fail due to old age.

Well that doesnt really say anything, even brand new parts can fail.
I had it replaced about 4 years ago, and probably put about 20-30k miles max since then too.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
with electronics it being new almost makes it more likely in my opinion... it seems like they either last forever or not very long...

Reactions: jbrdbr111

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with electronics it being new almost makes it more likely in my opinion... it seems like they either last forever or not very long...

So I should take back my ignition coil and tell them my car is jumping around in rpm's and that it keeps dying to replace it, or should I take the dist cap back too?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Remove the upper timing belt cover to see what belt looks like and to confirm if that's where burning rubber smell is coming from. When timing belt was replaced was tensioner replaced at same time? Maybe the spring on it broke.Inspect coil for any burned wiring and the condition of distrib cap/wires.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
You can take the spring off when the timing belt tensioner is installed, as its tightened down with a bolt. The spring is only there to tension it when you get the belt on.

The coil might be the problem, if its a chinese coil then sure, I had two fail on me, but it might also be the ignitor and that failing can be direct cause of a coil failing...

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I just stripped off the wires, dist cap, rotor, and ignition coil and will be taking it back for replacement.

The area where the dist cap and all were smells like the burnt smell that I had smelled previously. but not any of the parts I removed so far. I've taken pics too of the area.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Check the resistance of the pickup coil. If that's ok then maybe it's the ignitor like Flashman suggested.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: went to 3 auto stores to replace what parts they had in stock. I went ahead and took back wires, dist cap/rotor, and ignition coil.

I just finished replacing and driving about 2 miles worth to test.

The idle now seem steady when I put it in drive it kinda sputtered but then seemed normal again. It didn't feel as smooth as it did before all the problems, but the idle didn't seem to fluctuate like it did when the car had died.

I got back and let it idle for about 10 more minutes and it is much better, maybe just the bad part(s) before messed up the firing/timing or something?

·
Registered
2015 Corolla LE ECO
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another Update:

Ok, so it seemed to get the large RPM fluctuation out of the way by re-replacing the new plugs, plug wires, dist cap, rotor, ignition coil & even replaced the battery under warranty.

From a COLD start it seems to idle ok, and run fairly good. I stopped at the store for maybe 10-15 minutes and then when I went to restart it, from a warm engine, I got RPM started around 1k, then each hard sputter it dropped a few hundred rpm till it tried to cut off.

Once I get driving it "seems" better but here and there it is a very small sputter.

When idling at say stop lights, my idle sitting at about 800rpm here and there seems to drop to 700 and then jump back off like it wants to cut back off or something, but "so far" has not cut off yet.

Could this still be something electrical, or possibly something else? :headbang:

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Yeah, but you didnt replace the IGNITOR.... I bet thats whats causing it and it if I'm right then your new coil is going to be doomed too. Which is the black box where the wires are hanging from inside the distributor cap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts