Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at my manual an i saw the whole replacement of the master key thing that toyota offers. When i bought my car i got a spare key that was generic. I was wondering if i can get a replacement of my master key if i dont have the silver little serial tab.

If so how much would you assume toyota would be charging for this.:confused:

Has anyone ever did this before?

·
Rated H: Chikan Sukebe
02 Vitz
1,363 Posts
They charge an arm and leg...... prices start in the $40s and can go up to the $70s, and thats without the chip. As far as I know the Camry never had the chip in the key until maybe the current gen if they do have it.

If you do not have the master key tag depending on how knowledgable and lazy the ppl are you may or may not have to call Toyota to authorize the dealership to cut you a master key.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
hmm...that's weird sportivo, my dealership here in TX said they will make a master key for my '89 MR2 for about $12-15 USD...

Keri

·
On The Street
268 Posts
I have both my Master Key and my Valet key (little silver one with the toyota emblem) and the Valet key doesnt open the glove box or the trunk, but thats for a 97 camry it might be different for other years maybe??

·
Registered
126 Posts
the transpoder chips were introduced in the 98 camry. the ones i have with black plastic heads (i have one oem and two which were cut from the oem @ a drug store) do everything. i also have two oem all metal valet keys... which do everything but the trunk and the glovebox...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok. well like i said i have no OEM keys on my 96 LE. No valet keys no nothing. Just a copy of a key in which i use as my orginal since its the only key i have. My key doesn't open the glove compartment at all because it just doesn't fit in there. But the wierd thing is it opens the trunk but it has to be a certain way. like the front of the key has to be facing left or right in order to open it. if not it just doesn't want to turn. So most likely i don't have a chip installed in mines. Which i assume is a good thing.
Does anyone have an idea of what type of copy key do i have. Someone please try all 3 of your orginal keys in the glove and see if they fit. Because mines couldn't fit it in.

·
TN's SRT-4
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
379 Posts
The Toyota dealer can give you a 1-800 number to call and with your VIN number, Toyota can get you your key code if they still have the record to it. Toyota does throw away information it deems as old so there will be a possibility that the information on your vehicle could have been thrown out already. When I inquired about the key code to my 1989 truck, I was informed that the record to my truck had already been tossed out.

Your other option is to take off your driver or front passenger side door panel and then take off the key cylinder/tumbler. On it the key code will be stamped onto the unit. My key code consisted of a letter followed by four numbers.

Good Luck. :)

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,682 Posts
My dealer offers to make a key from the VIN # for $19.99 (US). That is for a non-transponder key. I've never tried it though, they just have an ad in the parts dept. for it.

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
hmm...that's weird sportivo, my dealership here in TX said they will make a master key for my '89 MR2 for about $12-15 USD...
When I bought my 94 used, it came with 2 Wal-Mart (ish) key copies. Recently, they stopped unlocking the doors. It wasn't a big problem cause I've got keyless entry. But I went to the dealer a few weeks ago. They remade a key for the car off the VIN, once I provided them proof of ownership (license & registration). The price was $5 for a generic key (metal handle), $6 for plastic handle, and $15 for Toyota handle. Hope that helps, but my car has no key in the chip. Just hit the dealer and ask 'em.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow sounds good. Well the car isn't registered under my name sadly. its under my father's with the same last name and same address i hope there is no problem with that. I need to go up to the dealer soon anyways. Tjhanks for the insite.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.