Toyota Nation Forum banner
241 - 260 of 640 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Rear Reading Lights - LED

This is a short little DIY on the replacement of the rear reading lights with LEDs in a 2011 Camry SE with sunroof.

While this was pretty easy and straightforward, I hope someone might find it useful.

For this I used 2pcs of WLED-xHP6 Wedge Base Bulb.

Sitting in the back seat, I used a small flat head screw driver to pry the light. There are 4 retaining clips, 2 in front (shown) and 2 in back.

The original bulbs have a little reflector / heat shield that doesn’t let you really get to them.

I again used the small screw driver to split the grey/white housing apart. There were 8-10 clips around the entire housing.

Once apart, the bulbs are easy to access. The photo also shows the color / brightness of the oem bulbs.
** As a note if you have the door open or bulbs on for any period of time they will be HOT**

I noticed that the connectors that hold the bulbs do not hold the LEDs quite as tight and they would go out if bumped. Again using the small screw driver you can deform the metal just a little to hold them tighter.

Make sure you test the lights before you put it back together. The photo also shows the color / brightness of the LED bulbs.

Reassemble and enjoy!!!

Again, I hope this might help someone...Good Luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Usually the major automakers completely design the tail lights in house, but the actual LED's are outsourced from major suppliers such as phillips/lumileds, osram/sylvania etc.

I know most of the major german automakers like audi and mercedes outsource the LED's from phillips for those DRL's, but the actual design of the lens is done by the automaker's themselves.

I suppose I can try e-mailing toyota directly and see if they will tell us what LED's they use if they even outsource them, it would be useful to know for those of us that want to build custom led tail lights that are equivalent to the brightness of the stock units. If anyone does know feel free to chime in :).

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Usually the major automakers completely design the tail lights in house, but the actual LED's are outsourced from major suppliers such as phillips/lumileds, osram/sylvania etc.

I know most of the major german automakers like audi and mercedes outsource the LED's from phillips for those DRL's, but the actual design of the lens is done by the automaker's themselves.

I suppose I can try e-mailing toyota directly and see if they will tell us what LED's they use if they even outsource them, it would be useful to know for those of us that want to build custom led tail lights that are equivalent to the brightness of the stock units. If anyone does know feel free to chime in :).
There are LEDs that you can just buy. You just have to find a LED that has a bright mcd or whatever they go by for brightness on SMDs. There are people who have done their own custom taillights. You can do a google search to see what they have used. There is a thread in the forum about custom taillights but no one ever fully went through with it.

I highly doubt Toyota HQ will be able to give you any information about it.

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
actually some has but just not custom brake boards. someone took smoked eagle eye ones and added turn signal and reverse boards ;)

· =]
nasa space shuttle
4,703 Posts
This is a short little DIY on the replacement of the rear reading lights with LEDs in a 2011 Camry SE with sunroof.

While this was pretty easy and straightforward, I hope someone might find it useful.

For this I used 2pcs of WLED-xHP6 Wedge Base Bulb.

Sitting in the back seat, I used a small flat head screw driver to pry the light. There are 4 retaining clips, 2 in front (shown) and 2 in back.

The original bulbs have a little reflector / heat shield that doesn’t let you really get to them.

I again used the small screw driver to split the grey/white housing apart. There were 8-10 clips around the entire housing.

Once apart, the bulbs are easy to access. The photo also shows the color / brightness of the oem bulbs.
** As a note if you have the door open or bulbs on for any period of time they will be HOT**

I noticed that the connectors that hold the bulbs do not hold the LEDs quite as tight and they would go out if bumped. Again using the small screw driver you can deform the metal just a little to hold them tighter.

Make sure you test the lights before you put it back together. The photo also shows the color / brightness of the LED bulbs.

Reassemble and enjoy!!!

Again, I hope this might help someone...Good Luck.
how is the output? i put a led bulb in there the other night, but since it is in horizotally the led's didnt put out much light.
how are those bulbs ? since there are 2 leds pointing directly down.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
how is the output? i put a led bulb in there the other night, but since it is in horizotally the led's didnt put out much light.
how are those bulbs ? since there are 2 leds pointing directly down.
Output is pretty good but not as bright as the front. Reason being is that there is no chrome reflectors. With that specific LED, you have two more LEDs on the other side, pointing up and two more on the tip. Both doesnt really give you illumination. So the only light source is the 2 bulbs aiming down.

There are flank type LEDs where the LEDs are on one side only. You can get these and it would be brighter but the only draw back is that on the other side of rear reading lights (i think its the passenger side), the connections arent swapped. So one side will have LEDs facing down and the other side will have LEDs facing up inorder for it to get power (hope this wasnt confusing to understand). Some LEDs have connection pads on both sides so no matter how its inserted, it would work.

Its good at night to look at something but not if you're looking for something that you might have dropped. I changed them only for looks.

· Joined the dark side. :D
21,501 Posts
Installed 2 of them... awesome Brighter than regular bulb but I am concern the High Beam bulb might be too hot for the plastic of the LED. I'll post pics when I get a chance to show the new with the old bulb. :) Or maybe not since it's not a Camry. :D

2 more LED need to be install. :D

· '11 Camry SE
701 Posts
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v289/818/Randoms/?action=view&current=LEDs.mp4

Here is a video (click image above) of the LEDs I put in for my small parking lights and license plate lights.
LEDs bought here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170515839231
Installation for the front: Unclip two clips from wheel well, reach in and get the bulb out.
Installation for plates: Unclip 6 or so clips from trunk liner, swap out bulbs.
The license plate isn't as bright because the LEDs are all aiming forward. I'd recommend an LED bulb that also has LEDs on the side in a 360 pattern if you want it to be brighter.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·

Here is a video (click image above) of the LEDs I put in for my small parking lights and license plate lights.
LEDs bought here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170515839231
Installation for the front: Unclip two clips from wheel well, reach in and get the bulb out.
Installation for plates: Unclip 6 or so clips from trunk liner, swap out bulbs.
The license plate isn't as bright because the LEDs are all aiming forward. I'd recommend an LED bulb that also has LEDs on the side in a 360 pattern if you want it to be brighter.
Front parking lights look bright at night but how bright is it during the day? Is it even visible during the day? Probably not

· Joined the dark side. :D
21,501 Posts
This is my OEM vs LED. It's 25 SMD LED in T10 size (the LED is white and OEM is kinda yellow sitting on the passenger side, also the bulb is sitting on the top of that housing and at the center is the high beam halogen bulb). That lowbeam is 4300k HID and the fog is about 1000 lumen 9006 SilverStar.

· '11 Camry SE
701 Posts
Front parking lights look bright at night but how bright is it during the day? Is it even visible during the day? Probably not
Why would you care about the day? Unless you drive around with your parking lights or head lights on during the day :confused:

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Most LEDs are not visible during the day, including cloudy day. :D
Audi's are visible during the day but thats on a whole different level of LEDs. LOL.

As for my parking/turn signal LEDs, they are visible during the day even when the sun is shining. Hence, that is why I said on the first post that you should get HP LEDs or 48+ LEDs so that its visible during the day.

My YouTube video of my switchbacks shows them perfectly visible during the day and even at a far distance.
Why would you care about the day? Unless you drive around with your parking lights or head lights on during the day :confused:
^ When it rain it is best to have the headlight on or at least the parking light.

AUTO & DRL, the back doesn't light up so when it rain it's just as hard to see your car.
As workerant said when it rains, you need to have headlights/parking lights on. This is by law and for safety reasons. Even if its a cloudy day...this is so that other drivers can see you.

For 2011, turn signals and parking lights have a bulb of their own. Where as, 2007-2009, parking lights and turn signals uses the same bulbs.

I dont even use AUTO or DRL. DRLs are ugly and lights flicker from DRL to headlights and back when you go under overpasses. Considering I have retrofitted headlights, its bad for the bulbs to be flickering on and off.

· Registered
Toyota Camry SE 2007
156 Posts
Dome light

Ok so here is the problem im having. :confused: I have camry 2007 SE, and when you open your doors or unlock the doors the dome light goes off. Is there a way to make it so when you unlock the doors your two top light go off too. Also is there a way to do same thing and so the headlights turn on.:facepalm: Thank you.

241 - 260 of 640 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.