Toyota Nation Forum banner
61 - 80 of 640 Posts

· Registered
2006 TOYOTA AVALON XLS
836 Posts
In Gen 5 what bulbs are there to replace for an instrument cluster? I havent seen any info on that. I saw gen 6 that has LEDS on the board but I dont know if a 2003 would be similar. The instrument cluster is WAY to dim for my taste.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The Swack bulbs are the LEDs that change colors right? For example when you change your turn signal, it will alternate between white and amber (also known as switchback). I know it is necessary to have an LED flasher but I was wondering if you need anything for the switchback to take effect. Is it just plug and and play?
I think SWACK/SACK is just how VLEDs calls their LEDs for Toyota vehicles. The color changing turn signals you talk about is called Switchback (autolumination also calls it this). VLEDs is the only site that calls their LEDs SWACK/SACK because its for special applications. Other than the load resistor or LED flasher module, nothing is needed for Switchbacks.

I have switchbacks installed. I posted the one I have on the first page of this thread. Now that it has stopped raining, I'll take pics and video of it when I get back sometime during lunch time.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Very cool. I guess its only worth it if you strip the yellow housing and the sidemarkers.
The area with the yellow reflector has nothing to do with the parking/turn signals. That area has its own bulb (194/2825). It doesnt flash or anything.

The parking light/turn signal lens is clear. It looks yellow because the bulb is yellow. Had a chance to take pics since it was raining all week and when I was taking pics, it was drizzling...

DRL on with Parking Lights

DRL on with Parking Lights and Turn Signal

Black Housed TSX Retrofitted Headlights on with Parking Lights

Black Housed TSX Retrofitted Headlights on with Parking Lights and Turn Signal

Video coming soon.

· Rainier
Toyota Camry 2007 LE
102 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for that info. Do you think you could take a picture of the sidemarker? I must be blind because I never noticed it.

Also when you get the time, do you think you can post a DIY on how to change the turn signals? I don't think its accessible from the engine bay.

Keep posting. You are really helpful to the forums. :woot:

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Very cool! Thanks for that info. Do you think you could take a picture of the sidemarker? I must be blind because I never noticed it.

Also when you get the time, do you think you can post a DIY on how to change the turn signals? I don't think its accessible from the engine bay.

Keep posting. You are really helpful to the forums. :woot:
Re: Sidemarker...go outside, turn on headlights and you'll see that it lights up. Activate turn signal or hazard and it doesnt blink.

To change front turn signal bulbs or sidemarker bulbs, you'll have to remove two clips (one is right in front of the wheel (looks like a flathead screw, the other is at the top edge of the wheel well). Once clips are removed, pull back wheel well cover and bumper, reach your hands in, twist the bulb and swap bulbs. If you're going to do load resistors, you'll probably want to remove or loosen the bumper so it makes it easier to see and gain access to the wires.

· Registered
2 Posts
- Steering Wheel - QTY:3 (no Bluetooth) or QTY:5 (with BT) - 2500mcd 1206 smd (Gen 6); 2500mcd PLCC-2 LEDs (Gen 5.5) - buy from LEDMOD or eBay. *Soldering required
- Stereo Headunit (Gen 6) - QTY:8 - 2500mcd PLCC-2 LEDs - buy from LEDMOD or eBay. *Soldering required
- HVAC Controls (Gen 6) - QTY:6 (2 per knob) - 2500mcd PLCC-2 LEDs - buy from LEDMODS or eBay. *Soldering required
Would anybody think that 2500mcd is too bright to replace the original leds?

I am going to replace my originals, but i dont want it to be too bright.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Would anybody think that 2500mcd is too bright to replace the original leds?

I am going to replace my originals, but i dont want it to be too bright.
Depends on your preference. People will have different tastes. you can have a lower mcd if you want. so as long its the correct size. I dont know what the original led is.

· "Circle of trust"
Camry SE
1,257 Posts
Took me "maybe" a total of 15 minutes to complete.

PLCC-2 LED's are needed. I am not responsible for any damages caused to your vehicle when following this guide. It is simply a guide to help. Again I am not responsible for "Any damages" to your vehicle.

Remove the dash insert, which is held by more of the famous clips. First pull up, then towards you.

This picture shows you why it has to be pull towards you.

Four screws to detach digital clock from dash panel. Here are two.

Here are the other two.

Okay, now that the clock is separated from the dash panel. To access the clock's circuit board there are four more screws holding the white cover on. Remove the four screws and lift the cover.

Pictured from left to right "Airbag off", "Airbag on", and "fasten selt belt symbol". Here I only swapped out two of the four LED's: "Airbag off" and "Airbag on". Not pictured to the far left is the security LED, which I left alone.

Before I installed the dash panel back into the dash. I tested the LED's to make sure the light up.

Reverse to put everything back together.

· Registered
2 Posts
Depends on your preference. People will have different tastes. you can have a lower mcd if you want. so as long its the correct size. I dont know what the original led is.
Yes, to me it would be to bright. The LED's I purchased for my steering wheel controls are 35 mcd. They are still way brighter than the originals that were in its place.
I am going to experiment with 180mcd and 2000mcd....

BTW.....Nice Airbag light mod above....

· Registered
1 Posts
The area with the yellow reflector has nothing to do with the parking/turn signals. That area has its own bulb (194/2825). It doesnt flash or anything.

The parking light/turn signal lens is clear. It looks yellow because the bulb is yellow. Had a chance to take pics since it was raining all week and when I was taking pics, it was drizzling...

DRL on with Parking Lights

DRL on with Parking Lights and Turn Signal

Black Housed TSX Retrofitted Headlights on with Parking Lights

Black Housed TSX Retrofitted Headlights on with Parking Lights and Turn Signal

Video coming soon.

Awesome Job! One question, would it be possible to not have the white parking lights in the front? What type of bulb is there that it allows it to be
a white light for parking, but blinks amber for turning while the parking lights are on? Again, awesome job! Are those the stock housings, but retrofitted and painted black?

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Awesome Job! One question, would it be possible to not have the white parking lights in the front? What type of bulb is there that it allows it to be a white light for parking, but blinks amber for turning while the parking lights are on? Again, awesome job! Are those the stock housings, but retrofitted and painted black?
My parking/turn signals are switchbacks. This was mentioned in this thread and on the first page. Like the 5th post or something. Its white and changes to amber because that is how the bulbs are. If you dont want to white, dont purchase switchbacks, just get normal amber leds. The front bulbs are 3157

My headlights are OEM housings but painted black and retrofitted with TSX headlights.
how did you change the parking lights?did you go through the wheel area or remove the headlights?i wanted to change the parkers but couldnt access it.thanks
Also stated in this thread, to change parking light bulbs, you have to access it through the wheel well.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
wasn't all this mentioned like 50 times already?
Deja vu. I thought all the info needed was in the first post? I'll check and make sure. OH wait...it is!

*EDIT*
So I went and added instructions on how to change the parking lights to the first post even though it was mentioned especially on the DIY on page 2.

Mentioned here - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2807640&postcount=71 and here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2790876&postcount=25

61 - 80 of 640 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.