· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
i got these resistors:
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Turn-Signal-Fix/3-OHM-50W-4-BULB-LED-p5679822.html

i also got these mounting plates:
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Turn-Signal-Fix/2-LOAD-RESISTOR-MOUNTING-p6841376.html

i also just mentioned this on previous page.

tim also maybe we should add a link to the first page since if you get these resistors instead of the 6 ohm then you just need 2 resistors instead of 4 for 4 turn signal bulbs.
Resistors are still needed for each LED..no? If you're only doing front or back, than you need 2. If you're doing front and back, you need 4.

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
nope. thats what i'm trying to say. i installed my front switchback and had rear in already so i have 4 bulbs and only 2 resistors. i told you already. the 3 ohm 4 led bulb resistors allow you to run 4 led turn signal bulbs while only needing 2 resistors.

this is why i now say everyone should get resistors. they are so easy to mount in the rear and with those mounting brackets they don't get hot at all.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
nope. thats what i'm trying to say. i installed my front switchback and had rear in already so i have 4 bulbs and only 2 resistors. i told you already. the 3 ohm 4 led bulb resistors allow you to run 4 led turn signal bulbs while only needing 2 resistors.

this is why i now say everyone should get resistors. they are so easy to mount in the rear and with those mounting brackets they don't get hot at all.
Hmmm...good to know. Yea, I dont remember anything you mentioned. Been so busy with work and wedding stuff, I'm losing my mind. Too bad I sold my original flasher unit =(

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
Hmmm...good to know. Yea, I dont remember anything you mentioned. Been so busy with work and wedding stuff, I'm losing my mind. Too bad I sold my original flasher unit =(
if you want to do resistors then i'll help you find a original one. i'm sure someone will buy my led unit sooner or later so i'll have a denso you can use. i'll post a DIY after work in here for the resistors and will add to it once i install my friends resistors as i already have mine in so cant show what it all looks apart. also i guess you need to edit that first post again for the resistors so that people can get the right ones. you can use these with 2 or 4 bulbs. i had the resistors in there with only the rear turn signals and it worked all fine.

· Registered
07 Camry SE V6
7 Posts
Final run through

I can not thank you guys enough for the help! lets run this buy one last time.

I am going to run my light like:

Front- side marker LED, SWACK LED mod w/ amber & white signal.

Rear- Plate lights, turn signals, reverse lights and brake lights all LEDLED

Trunk running lights factory bulbs

Rear signals hooked to resistors.

Do I still need the flasher Module for front? I was planning on putting my stock one back in.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I can not thank you guys enough for the help! lets run this buy one last time.

I am going to run my light like:

Front- side marker LED, SWACK LED mod w/ amber & white signal.

Rear- Plate lights, turn signals, reverse lights and brake lights all LEDLED

Trunk running lights factory bulbs

Rear signals hooked to resistors.

Do I still need the flasher Module for front? I was planning on putting my stock one back in.
According to Pawel, if you have resistors on rear turn signals, no need for flasher module. Just use your stock.

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
Resistor DIY.

NOTE: i am not responsible for any damage that may be caused by this DIY. Use your brain and follow directions. We are messing with wiring..

First things first. Make sure to get these resistors:
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Turn-Signal-Fix/3-OHM-50W-4-BULB-LED-p5679822.html

you can use them with eather 2 led bulbs or 4. there is no need anymore for 4 resistors if you have 4 led bulbs. just get the above 2. the resistors specifically need to say they are for 4 bulb led!!

also i recommend getting these mounting plates to make mounting easier(and they are used in this DIY):
http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Turn-Signal-Fix/2-LOAD-RESISTOR-MOUNTING-p6841376.html

Now onto the instructions:

What i recommend to do first is to find the right screws and nuts for the installation. Uncover the cover over the 2 side pieces of the tail lights where all the bulbs are hidden. You will notice behind the cables there are studs that stick out with threads on them. these studs will he holding your mounting plates for the resistors. If you place the mounts there you notice the studs fit inside the top holes of the mounting brackets. try different nuts(carefully because they will fall in and it will be hard to get them out) until you find the right one to go over the long studs in the pictures below. it's better to do this now because once you tap the original wires the taps will be getting in the way when trying out the nuts.

this is the stud on the passenger side:

this is the stud on the drivers side:

Now that you have all the nuts and bolts that you need it's time to install the resistors. it doesn't really matter which side you start with. First thing to do is insert each wire into a separate tap and then secure the cable inside the tap by snapping the smaller half of the cover in (this will hold the wire inside the tap).

The following is for the drivers side.

Place the resistor alongside the bulbs similar to like in this picture (though this is installed but you get the idea):

For both positive and negative you take the wire from the resistor and put in as deep as possible in the empty hole. the wire will not go through the other side but instead just place it in as dead as possible.

The side that has the 50W text (exposed side - closest to you/trunk opening) will be put into the tap that is on the black/white wire (ground).

The side that is closest to the 3 Ω J (furthest in and covered by carpet lining) will be put inside the tap that is on the yellow/white wire (positive).

Now for the passenger side.

Place the resistor alongside the bulbs like before so that its like in this picture:

The side that has the 50W text (it is cut off in this pic..hidden by carpet lining) will go into the tap that is on the black/white wire (ground)

The side that is closest to the 3 Ω J (exposed side - closest to you/trunk opening) will be put inside the tap that is on the green/white wire (positive).

This is important so that you get the right side of the resistor going to the positive and negative. I did not try the other way around to see if it worked. i just tried it this way based on the diagrams on v-leds and it worked so i left it. (added by dcemureviews: do not try other way. it will hyperflash. Follow Pawel062's way)

I suggest at this point installing some led bulbs to test everything went well.

Now that the resistors are installed and you have tested everything, you can screw them onto the mounting plates and put the mounting plates on the studs. if you done everything correctly then the wires should be hanging nicely on the bottom of the mounts and you'll notice that the mounts will fit nicely into those spots without touching any wires or getting to close to anything.

the passenger side might be pretty close to the bulb as shown in the picture below but the top of the resistor only gets hot so there is nothing to worry about:

i find it odd though how the passenger side seems to be different than the drivers side in wire colors and the placement of the studs.

last thing to do is just tidy up whatever is messy. I also have more pictures including the leds im using in action, extra pictures of wiring and resistors, and also my hids together with the leds.

i will be adding more pics and maybe more info once i do the resistor mod for my friend or my dad's camry. reason for this is i did this DIY after having the resistors in my car for about 2 weeks. i don't have pics from beginning to end and there could be a detail i forgot. If you have any suggestions, anything to add, or some better pictures please PM me and i'll edit this post. Once again ENJOY!!

Added by dcemureviews:
Troubleshooting:
- if LEDs are still hyper flashing, make sure:
1. you have the wire on "50w" side connected to ground (black/white) wire and wire on "3 Ω J" side is connected to positive (green/white or yellow/white) wire.
2. all wires are spliced correctly.

- I need to remove taps, how to remove? Take a very small or mini flat head and pry from the middle. Make sure it has a thin flathead. A normal sized flathead will not get under the cover.

· Banned
179 Posts
I just wanted to add that the digital / electronic HVAC / climate control for the Camry (e.g. 2003 XLE) uses 9 NeoWedge 3mm (Neo3) bulbs (8 for the buttons + 1 for the hazard toggle) and 3 NeoWedge 4mm (Neo4) bulbs for the backlight of the LCD display.

I found this very useful for replacing the backlighting with white high-power LEDs, rather than the default green. Especially after installing an aftermarket head unit that uses a white backlight, and considering that the optitron gauge cluster is also white backlit. Now everything matches.

Also, the buttons for the heated seats use two NeoWedge 3mm (Neo3) bulbs -- one for the backlight of the button and one for the status indicator (on/off light). However, these bulbs are very short and AFAIK cannot easily be replaced with LEDs. For now I've had to settle with removing the green filters and seeing a pinkish white color instead.

· Registered
1 Posts
to change front turn signal bulbs...

... remove or loosen the bumper so it makes it easier to see and gain access to the wires.
ouch! do u mean just loosen the rear corner, or fully remove the whole bumper?

i just want to tap into the parking light circuit to signal my foglight relay...is there enough slack in the harness to get access?

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
ouch! do u mean just loosen the rear corner, or fully remove the whole bumper?

i just want to tap into the parking light circuit to signal my foglight relay...is there enough slack in the harness to get access?
If this in regards to the front, the whole bumper makes it easier. You can try and pop out the corner and see.

· JDM420.com
464 Posts
Awesome write-up. I just ordered a ton of LED's from V-leds. Thanks for showing me another way to spend money! :lol::clap::chug:

I picked up the following LED's for my Gen 5:

-Front Signals
-Dome Light
-Map Lights
-Trunk Light
-Rear tail lights
-Rear brake lights
-Rear Turn Signals
-Reverse lights
-License Plate lights
-Resistors
-Resistor mounting brackets

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I should get a commission or something for all this advertising and suggestions. LOL

Ended up taking out the flasher module and putting resistors. Wasnt as bad as I thought, however, those doing resistors should make sure to connect the correct wire from the resistors to the stock wiring on the turn signal.

· JDM420.com
464 Posts
Just a heads up for Gen 5 owners. The Swack type Front turn signal LED from V-leds with the 92 leds does not fit in the housing. :headbang: I would suggest going with the shorter version with the 60 leds for better clearance. The links as follows:

Does not work with Gen 5 front signals:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Turn-Signal-LED/White-LED/SWACK-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p7472050.html

Works with Gen 5 front signals:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Turn-Signal-LED/White-LED/SWACK-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p7431626.html

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
so you mean the 92led bulb doesn't work while the 60 works right? just wanna clear it up as there are so many bulbs out there and someone might not click on the links.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
Just a heads up for Gen 5 owners. The Swack type Front turn signal LED from V-leds with the 92 leds does not fit in the housing. :headbang: I would suggest going with the shorter version with the 60 leds for better clearance. The links as follows:

Does not work with Gen 5 front signals:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Turn-Signal-LED/White-LED/SWACK-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p7472050.html

Works with Gen 5 front signals:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/Turn-Signal-LED/White-LED/SWACK-TYPE-2-DUAL-COLOR-p7431626.html
Edited # of leds according to what is titled on V-leds to prevent confusion.

so you mean the 92led bulb doesn't work while the 60 works right? just wanna clear it up as there are so many bulbs out there and someone might not click on the links.
He stated to get the 60 LED because it fits in the headlight housing on the Gen 5. The 90 LED does not fit in the housing.

Just a heads up for Gen 5 owners. The Swack type Front turn signal LED from V-leds with the 92 leds does not fit in the housing. :headbang: I would suggest going with the shorter version with the 60 leds for better clearance.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Here is a good question:

rickdogg said:
I'm not much of a wiring guy, so once I got to the signals on my car I stopped since I didn't have time to do the wiring lol. I noticed that there is a flasher option as well. In your opinion, which option is easier to install and what are the pros and cons of having either installed?

Thanks,
Rick
Since you're Gen 5/5.5 and I'm Gen 6, I dont know where your flasher module is located but for Gen 6, its located behind the instrument cluster. It takes me 5 mins to get to it and only requires you to swap flashers. 5 screws, 1 bolt and a bunch of snap on pieces. With the resistors, I did it through my trunk since the wires where right there. The front was harder since my engine bay has no room and the wires can only be accessed through the wheel well or if bumper was removed.

Pros of flasher module:
- Clean since it replaces original
- Works with both LED and normal bulbs if you ever decide to go back for whatever reason
- Does not require splicing of factory wires

Pros of resistors:
- Keeps all factory settings and flashing confirmation
- Easier install since you can tap into whichever is easier for you to access whether it be the front or rear turn signals

Cons of flasher module:
- You lose flashing confirmation
- I personally lost hazards with no key
- Some experienced various different problems with it affecting smart key on XLE, seat belt chimes on Hybrids and door locks on SE. Its a hit or miss. I never experienced those problems except for what was mentioned above.

Cons of resistors:
- Splices factory wiring. It does cut it in half but slices through the wire to get to the copper inside. If you remove it, you'll want to cover up the spliced wire with electrical tape
- Potential of wiring problems if done wrong (highly unlikely)
- Once its in, its a pain to get off
- Resistors can get hot and can melt plastic or wires. So when installing resistors, install it on the rear turn signals as they are on when blinker/hazards are used. If your parking lights and turn signal is the same bulb/wire, the resistor will get hot at night since the light will be on at all times.

· JDM420.com
464 Posts
V-leds 92 LED 3157 bulb does not fit rear taillights on 5th Gen

Another heads up for Gen 5 owners. The 92 LED 3157 bulbs work in our cars, however the plastic base does not fit snug enough to stay connected in the rear taillight/brake light. :thumbsdow In my case after I wired everything up and got everything working, the LED bulb ended up falling in to my taillight housing. :facepalm: It was such a pain in the ass to have to take everything apart again after thinking I was all done at 2AM.

I thought that maybe the bulb was a defect, but I tried swapping in the opposite side bulb and the result was the same. I'm tired of mailing LED's back and forth considering i've spent a decent amount of money for light bulbs already.

Here is the direct link on the 92 LED 3157:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/...D/V-LEDS-RED-92-M-SMT-TAILBRAKE-p7470633.html

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Another heads up for Gen 5 owners. The 92 LED 3157 bulbs work in our cars, however the plastic base does not fit snug enough to stay connected in the rear taillight/brake light. :thumbsdow In my case after I wired everything up and got everything working, the LED bulb ended up falling in to my taillight housing. :facepalm: It was such a pain in the ass to have to take everything apart again after thinking I was all done at 2AM.

I thought that maybe the bulb was a defect, but I tried swapping in the opposite side bulb and the result was the same. I'm tired of mailing LED's back and forth considering i've spent a decent amount of money for light bulbs already.

Here is the direct link on the 92 LED 3157:

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/...D/V-LEDS-RED-92-M-SMT-TAILBRAKE-p7470633.html
I bought a LED for the reverse light and it didnt fit too well in the base also.

I commend you for trying things out. You're not the only person who spent a decent amount of money for light bulbs. I went through it as well as many people. Thats the reason behind this thread. Everything you need is there but there are so many LEDs and sizes out there, theres only so much you can try and purchase. Thats why I also posted links to what LEDs I bought. I'm tempted to buy the 36LED for my reverse only if I can unload my 27LED.

Shipping it back and ordering new ones and paying shipping costs lots of money too. Thats why I prefer to just sell on the forums and take a bit of a loss plus I know it will be put to use. Hope you're not getting charged restocking fee.

· JDM420.com
464 Posts
It's all good. I was really frustrated with the whole situation since I thought I was complete haha. I ordered a different set of bulbs and even stepped it up by buying some for the signals and back-up lights for my Z as well. :)

I noticed that the housing on the Gen 5 camry for the rear brake light is pretty big and can probably fit their V-star bulbs. I hope that the base fits this time because it will be a major pain in the butt to try and pull those out if those were to fall in the housing.

121 - 140 of 640 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.