Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Not that I know of. It's designed for a "Jz" spec block, not an "m" engine. I believe the 1jz head would work on the 2jz however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for input. u seem very informative. i have 91 model, its stock except for exhaust(hks det-16 and 3inch straight pipe). of course headgasket is getting bad. i just want figure my avenue of attack. i want to do top end all at once. any ideas:confused:

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
No 1JZ head on the 7M block. The cylinders have different bores, so good luck getting that to work ;)

... 1JZ head on 2JZ block will work. Don't bother with a 2JZ head on 1JZ block. From what I hear, either the 1JZ head flows better than the 2JZ, or it's an old wive's take and wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the head on the 7m being up to the challange. There's many guys out there running BIG numbers with no head work.

What's an HKS det 16? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
They really dont make any aftermarket parts for a 1JZ-GTE the 2j heads fit on the 1j. All the 1j motor really is a 7M-GTE + 2JZ-GTE = 1JZ-GTE.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
hondakiller89 said:
All the 1j motor really is a 7M-GTE + 2JZ-GTE = 1JZ-GTE.
Wrong.

It was an all-new design upon its introduction.

2JZ-GTE = 1JZ-GTE + 0.5L

7M-GTE = M + 1.0L + "G" head + T(urbo) + EFI... not totally, but theoretically, for all intents and purposes, sure.

The 1JZ came out before the 2JZ did. There's a reason why it's denoted with a 1 ;)

But they do make aftermarket parts for a 1JZ. Quite a number of 2JZ parts work, and you're probably going to have to go JDM to find anything 1JZ.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All of my mods on the 1JZ-GTE are from a 2JZ-GTE and or 7M parts. The aftermarket Turbo kit from Greddy the twin T88H that is a 2JZ-GTE aftermarket turbo kit. I searched for about 6 months before the swap for aftermarket 1J parts no luck ran into to a guy on the net at 51 cards supra pages he sent to certain sites to find the 2J - 7M aftermarket. I e-mailed Signal Auto Japan no help there either for 1J aftermarket. I also talk to the owner of J-Garage Japan Import Export he also couldnt help me in the quest for 1J parts. I f you can point me to a site that has 1J aftermarket support please write back. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
hondakiller89 said:
All of my mods on the 1JZ-GTE are from a 2JZ-GTE and or 7M parts. The aftermarket Turbo kit from Greddy the twin T88H that is a 2JZ-GTE aftermarket turbo kit. I searched for about 6 months before the swap for aftermarket 1J parts no luck ran into to a guy on the net at 51 cards supra pages he sent to certain sites to find the 2J - 7M aftermarket. I e-mailed Signal Auto Japan no help there either for 1J aftermarket. I also talk to the owner of J-Garage Japan Import Export he also couldnt help me in the quest for 1J parts. I f you can point me to a site that has 1J aftermarket support please write back. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks
Umm... JZ series engines are not related to the M series engines, as repinS had already stated. Exactly what 7M parts are you using? GReddy does not make a twin T88H kit for the 2JZ-GTE. You realize that a 2JZ with a single T88H can make 900+ rwhp? Lastly, exhaust manifolds for a 1JZ-GTE are not interchangeable with the 2JZ-GTE, therefore the turbo kits are not interchangeable.

Since you're in Florida, you might want to try to ask http://www.toyomoto.com/ to do a custom setup for you.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
hondakiller89 said:

The 1JZ and 2JZ only have a few interchangable parts. The heads are similar in that the combustion chambers are the same size and location. The bolt paterns are also the same. This allows the use of a 2J head gasket on a 1J. Other than that nothing from the head/engine is interchangable. The porting on the intake and exaust is different as are the cam specs. To get the extra displacement the block was made taller and the stroke longer. The bore remained the same. The accesories can be interchanged. The alternator, PS pump, and the A/C unit are the same. The water pump can be interchanged if you use a 2J pully and electric fan. There really aren't that many parts that go between the engines. As far as finding 1JZ parts all you have to do is look on ebay. I see kits using IHI and triple K turbos all the time. Not the cheapest, but they are some of the best turbos on the market. Or you can contact a shop for a custom install using a GT 25, or a T3/T4 hybrid. I have also seen one other single turbo kit using a TDO4, but have not heard great reviews. It takes forever to spin up. Its all out there you just have to scour the web. Check out Soarer sites. The Ausies have quite a bit available for 1J powered Soarers, to include a turbine upgrade for the CT12A. It uses a steel wheel in place of the ceramic one alowing for safe boost preasures of 15 PSI.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
TcmaBoy said:
It uses a steel wheel in place of the ceramic one alowing for safe boost preasures of 15 PSI.
Yer, apparently anything higher than 15psi gets too hot for the ceramic units, and then kablooey! :eek::

1 - 13 of 13 Posts