Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Matrix base 5 speed and I would like to install a limited slip diff. All the research I have done so far has only turned up one possibility. TRD Japan has a unit (part #41301-st804) for a Voltz which as far as I know is the same vehicle as a Matrix. The specified engine is a 2zz-ge. Does anybody know if the associated tranny with this motor is the six speed? And if it is, are there any differences between the 5 speed diff and the six speed diff? In other words will it fit? Is there any other alternative out there?

Thanx

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
The matrix and Corolla XRS use a 6 speed tranny, and I'm pretty sure the differential is different.

Why would you want an LSD on a 130HP FWD car? Sounds like a huge waste of money to me...WHy don't you save up for something with more power, er a better starting platform to build on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here on the Canadian east coast, we usually have a lot of snow. However this year we have more ice than anything. It’s annoying to be sitting at a stoplight with one wheel spinning so I think before dong any power upgrades, traction, hence lsd is a good idea.

I have contacted a reputable Japanese performance shop in Toronto and the correct lsd would run me $1000cdn. I love the trix, it’s reliable and good on fuel, but yes it does lack power. I wish Toyota would put the Camry’s 2.4L four under the hood. Maybe for ’07 with the next redo. Honda might make a comparable car too next year, we’ll see.

·
Always on the Warpath--->
'03 Matrix XRS
1,220 Posts
An AWD 'trix would helped you that i believe. The only thing that would be remotely close as far as the LSD would go is the Phantom Grip or Qaife LSD's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JDM1 said:
Here on the Canadian east coast, we usually have a lot of snow. However this year we have more ice than anything. It’s annoying to be sitting at a stoplight with one wheel spinning so I think before dong any power upgrades, traction, hence lsd is a good idea.

I have contacted a reputable Japanese performance shop in Toronto and the correct lsd would run me $1000cdn....
For that much money and aggravation wouldn't it just be easier to put state-of-the-art winter tires on for the winter? There are a lot of nice choices out there that don't compromise performance on dry roads (Dunlop M3 comes to mind, as well as the newer H and V rated Continentals) and for $1000 cdn you can usuually get snows on their own rims, so no change-over... plus, you won't have to tear apart your matrix's tranny to be ready for winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts