Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's functional,
cool, and great on fuel. I'm 34, single, male and have a long commute to
work. I need something comfortable (I drive a Volvo now, and it's quite
comfortable).

I like both the Matrix XR and Yaris- RS 3dr.

However, they are priced $2500 apart (Canadian). Umm... That's not much!!
So if I put $10K down, and made payments for the rest---- it would be a
difference of $50/month. (manual transmissions). I won't lease one, I drive
WAY over the limit that the lease allows for it to be beneficial to me.

That kinda makes me wonder which car to buy! Both are neat.

Which would you prefer? (this question will most likely go out to Canadian
drivers, since the Yaris 3-door isn't available in the US yet).

I'd buy a Scion xB in a heartbeat, but of course, Scion isn't in Canada...
and yeah, dealers are selling them at a super premium (a Matrix XR is about
$25K with tax, ummm... the xB is selling for $27K at KenShaw (local dealer)
BEFORE TAX!! ouch. )
 
A
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Matrix vs. Yaris 3-dr ?? can't decide!

>>Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's functional,
cool, and great on fuel.

I have a Pontiac Vibe (same as Matrix) and I love it. Fun to drive,
lots of room inside. No experience with a Yaris. If gas mileage is
one of your main priorities, though, why not look at the Corolla, Prius
or even (am I allowed to say this on a Toyota group?) the Honda
Civic/Civic hybrid? Are those not "cool" enough?
Good luck,
Andy
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"M.R.S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi all,
>
> Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's
> functional, cool, and great on fuel. I'm 34, single, male and have a long
> commute to work. I need something comfortable (I drive a Volvo now, and
> it's quite comfortable).
>
> I like both the Matrix XR and Yaris- RS 3dr.
>
> However, they are priced $2500 apart (Canadian). Umm... That's not
> much!! So if I put $10K down, and made payments for the rest---- it would
> be a difference of $50/month. (manual transmissions). I won't lease one,
> I drive WAY over the limit that the lease allows for it to be beneficial
> to me.
>
> That kinda makes me wonder which car to buy! Both are neat.
>
> Which would you prefer? (this question will most likely go out to
> Canadian drivers, since the Yaris 3-door isn't available in the US yet).
>
> I'd buy a Scion xB in a heartbeat, but of course, Scion isn't in Canada...
> and yeah, dealers are selling them at a super premium (a Matrix XR is
> about $25K with tax, ummm... the xB is selling for $27K at KenShaw (local
> dealer) BEFORE TAX!! ouch. )
>
>
>


Yaris sounds like a Russian name (I think Boris). This would be enough for
me to say no way! I know that its a combination of German YA, and Paris or
something like that - but still - semantics are too important.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Dan J.S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "M.R.S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's
>> functional, cool, and great on fuel. I'm 34, single, male and have a
>> long commute to work. I need something comfortable (I drive a Volvo now,
>> and it's quite comfortable).
>>
>> I like both the Matrix XR and Yaris- RS 3dr.
>>
>> However, they are priced $2500 apart (Canadian). Umm... That's not
>> much!! So if I put $10K down, and made payments for the rest---- it would
>> be a difference of $50/month. (manual transmissions). I won't lease one,
>> I drive WAY over the limit that the lease allows for it to be beneficial
>> to me.
>>
>> That kinda makes me wonder which car to buy! Both are neat.
>>
>> Which would you prefer? (this question will most likely go out to
>> Canadian drivers, since the Yaris 3-door isn't available in the US yet).
>>
>> I'd buy a Scion xB in a heartbeat, but of course, Scion isn't in
>> Canada... and yeah, dealers are selling them at a super premium (a Matrix
>> XR is about $25K with tax, ummm... the xB is selling for $27K at KenShaw
>> (local dealer) BEFORE TAX!! ouch. )
>>
>>
>>

>
> Yaris sounds like a Russian name (I think Boris). This would be enough for
> me to say no way! I know that its a combination of German YA, and Paris or
> something like that - but still - semantics are too important.
>\



hehe... at least it sounds better than Echo Hatchback-back back back.....

Car names aren't that important to me, well, unless it's a Lada (hmmm, I
wonder how Russian cars are now!!)
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Matrix vs. Yaris 3-dr ?? can't decide!

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>>>Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's
>>>functional,

> cool, and great on fuel.
>
> I have a Pontiac Vibe (same as Matrix) and I love it. Fun to drive,
> lots of room inside. No experience with a Yaris. If gas mileage is
> one of your main priorities, though, why not look at the Corolla, Prius
> or even (am I allowed to say this on a Toyota group?) the Honda
> Civic/Civic hybrid? Are those not "cool" enough?
> Good luck,
> Andy
>


Thanks Andy,

I drove a Vibe, and yes, it was quite nice.

I don't think the Corolla is much better on fuel (if any) than a
Vibe/Matrix. The Matrix is only slightly worse than the Yaris on fuel, but
not by much.

Hybrids don't turn me on in any way. I want something FUN to drive ;)...
I've raced cars for years (GT), and I prefer small zippy cars that handle
well. A Hybrid won't offer much return on the $$$ (especially when a Prius
costs upwards of $30K Canadian new!) The only real benefit is that it uses
less fuel (better for reserves), and pollutes less.

The Yaris will pollute less than a Matrix, just by a bit though.

The US will get the Yaris hatchback soon, but not the complete line. Seems
Canada will have the RS and other cool models (5door as well).

I have a few more months to decide :)

Cheers
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:01:33 -0500, M.R.S. wrote:

>
> "Dan J.S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "M.R.S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's
>>> functional, cool, and great on fuel. I'm 34, single, male and have a
>>> long commute to work. I need something comfortable (I drive a Volvo now,
>>> and it's quite comfortable).
>>>
>>> I like both the Matrix XR and Yaris- RS 3dr.
>>>
>>> However, they are priced $2500 apart (Canadian). Umm... That's not
>>> much!! So if I put $10K down, and made payments for the rest---- it would
>>> be a difference of $50/month. (manual transmissions). I won't lease one,
>>> I drive WAY over the limit that the lease allows for it to be beneficial
>>> to me.
>>>
>>> That kinda makes me wonder which car to buy! Both are neat.
>>>
>>> Which would you prefer? (this question will most likely go out to
>>> Canadian drivers, since the Yaris 3-door isn't available in the US yet).
>>>
>>> I'd buy a Scion xB in a heartbeat, but of course, Scion isn't in
>>> Canada... and yeah, dealers are selling them at a super premium (a Matrix
>>> XR is about $25K with tax, ummm... the xB is selling for $27K at KenShaw
>>> (local dealer) BEFORE TAX!! ouch. )
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Yaris sounds like a Russian name (I think Boris). This would be enough for
>> me to say no way! I know that its a combination of German YA, and Paris or
>> something like that - but still - semantics are too important.
>>\

>
>
> hehe... at least it sounds better than Echo Hatchback-back back back.....
>
> Car names aren't that important to me, well, unless it's a Lada (hmmm, I
> wonder how Russian cars are now!!)


I had the 'pleasure' of driving one of those wonderful pieces of
Automotive Engineering! Reminded me of a Cruiseliner: spin the wheel 100
times to turn, and throw out the anchor to try to stop it!

What happens when to take a lousy Fiat and build it in Russia? A Lada crop!

I also got to drive a Pony and the other Hyundai (Stellar?) offered at the
time. No wonder they waited to come to the US. Although the Pony was kind
of a cool car.

--
A young girl I know told me I drive like an old man

I told her, actually, I drive like Mario Andretti.
It's just that too many other people on the road
drive like Paul Tracy...
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried both and opted for the Matrix TRD, and so far i'm very satisfied.
The difference in gas milleage is by far offsetted by the better motor and
overall looks of the car. I have no regrets. This is my 3rd new toyota, my
first Camry is 12 years old and going strong

..
"M.R.S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi all,
>
> Ok. I need to replace my current vehicle with something that's
> functional, cool, and great on fuel. I'm 34, single, male and have a long
> commute to work. I need something comfortable (I drive a Volvo now, and
> it's quite comfortable).
>
> I like both the Matrix XR and Yaris- RS 3dr.
>
> However, they are priced $2500 apart (Canadian). Umm... That's not
> much!! So if I put $10K down, and made payments for the rest---- it would
> be a difference of $50/month. (manual transmissions). I won't lease one,
> I drive WAY over the limit that the lease allows for it to be beneficial
> to me.
>
> That kinda makes me wonder which car to buy! Both are neat.
>
> Which would you prefer? (this question will most likely go out to
> Canadian drivers, since the Yaris 3-door isn't available in the US yet).
>
> I'd buy a Scion xB in a heartbeat, but of course, Scion isn't in Canada...
> and yeah, dealers are selling them at a super premium (a Matrix XR is
> about $25K with tax, ummm... the xB is selling for $27K at KenShaw (local
> dealer) BEFORE TAX!! ouch. )
>
>
>
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top