Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new retrofitted headlights, and went to aim them a few nights ago. I parked my car on a perfectly level parking lot exactly 25 feet from a garage door. I measured and taped a line 27" above ground (height of the center of my headlights), and then taped a line 2.1" lower than that for DOT regulations. My passenger side cutoff was maybe 3 inches low, but when I tried to adjust this headlight, I found the adjustment screw was maxed out. And the driver side headlight doesn't even make it on the wall, but is maxed out in height adjustment as well. My question is: how do you aim a headlight if the adjustor screw is maxed out?

Since this night, I've added a shim under the front of both headlight housings. The cutoff for the passenger side is now perfect. But the driver side is still probably about 18" lower than it should be.... please help.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2005 Corolla S
210 Posts
Who did the retrofit for you? Sounds to me like someone screwed up badly on it.

Does the adjustor screw not turn at all, or is it turning without the headlight moving up or down?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The retrofit looks great otherwise, and the cutoffs are beautiful (except for how low the driver side is).

The adjustor screw turned, bringing up the cutoff line. But it is maxed out now: where it will turn, and the cutoff will move up a little bit, and then the screw will click, and the cutoff will fall back to it's max height. I don't want to try turning it any more, cause I'm sure that I will end up stripping out the adjustor screw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an idea of what I'm up against. I tried shimming the headlight more...but it didn't improve much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It still adjusts downward when I turn the adjuster, so I'm thinking it's not stripped. However, I think my only option now is to take out the headlight and give everything the once-over again. Do you know if I could put in a longer/shorter adjuster screw while it's out?

·
Registered
2005 Corolla S
210 Posts
Actually, I'll put my money on the adjuster screw being stripped as well - the click you're feeling is likely the inner housing hitting the stripped section and going back to where the last usable threads were.

When I did my retrofit, I had the same problem (stripped screw) and the behaviour you're seeing is exactly what I experienced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try to get the headlight out this weekend and take a look at it. It would be nice if it were as simple as swapping out a bolt. Though I'm sure swapping out an adjuster bolt isn't as easy as it sounds.. :S

·
Registered
05 Corolla S
475 Posts
First you should make sure that its not the projector itself that is pointing way lower than it should. Cover your low beams and turn on the high beams against a wall or something. They should both aim in the same general height. If they dont, that means that the projector is not seated straight in the headlight. And no amount of adjustment will make it aim correctly, well, not without throwing the high-beam out of aim.
That would also save you of the work of having to remove the front bumper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got around to brighting a wall in front of me. It's evident that the driver brights are the same amount low as the projector cutoff. So, the next thing is taking out the headlight and looking everything over again. I graduate next week, so I'll see when I can get to it though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the headlight sitting here in my lap. Everything seems to work fine still. Though it does look like the projector and shroud may sit slightly lower in the housing than the driver side. I just don't know what to do any more. I contacted my retrofitter today...but I seriously have no idea what I can do to fix this.

·
Registered
05 Corolla S
475 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the retrofit? Did you provide the headlights? And what projectors were used? Is it possible the overdid it with the oven and the weight of the projector pulled the assembly downwards while it was still warm?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spent $360 for a complete headlight retrofit (another set of headlights entirely). I'm sure the headlight housings were just ebay "OEM" replacements and I had the interior of the housing painted black. The projectors were Morimoto Minis with E46-R shrouds. Since I had it done professionally, I'd like to think that it wasn't allowed to droop from heat, but who knows...there's gotta be some reason for the poor aim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still haven't found a true physical fix for low light pattern, but I found a fix that has worked for the last couple of weeks. I rewired the solenoid that is suppose to lift the light beam up when you engage the high beams. Now whenever I turn the headlights on, the driver side solenoid engages, and redirects the projector to a height comparable to that of the proper cutoff height. It's not as clean of a cutoff line, but it's a hell of a lot better than hitting the ground a few feet in front of me.

·
Registered
05 Corolla S
475 Posts
I still haven't found a true physical fix for low light pattern, but I found a fix that has worked for the last couple of weeks. I rewired the solenoid that is suppose to lift the light beam up when you engage the high beams. Now whenever I turn the headlights on, the driver side solenoid engages, and redirects the projector to a height comparable to that of the proper cutoff height. It's not as clean of a cutoff line, but it's a hell of a lot better than hitting the ground a few feet in front of me.
That will shorten the life of the solenoid. what did you end up doing after all this time?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That will shorten the life of the solenoid. what did you end up doing after all this time?
I know...that's the reason I didn't want to do it in the first place. I haven't done anything to really fix it yet :S I'm hoping an idea comes to me, and soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts