Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Tercel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I have the opportunity to Purchase a 93 Corolla with 250,000 miles on it. I can get it for $400 and despite the high mileage Kelley Blue Book lists it as $1500-$2000 in good condition. I was wondering if this is a smart buy. I was talking to the lady about it and she said that the only problems she has had with it that haven't been fixed is that it leaks oil and power steering fluid. The water pump has been replaced, as well as the breaks, she also has said that it has always passed smog, which is a good sign because of the mileage. Cosmetically it is in okay condition other than the front bumper is coming off and there is a basketball sized dent in the door, as well as the paint oxidizing in a few places. She also thinks that the engine block is "loose". With the high mileage if it has made it this far, im assuming that she has kept it up with maintennace.

I have also test driven it and it accelerates faster than my 89 Cressida with 100,000 miles, which is surprising as well. The transmission and engine SEEMED to be fine when I drove it and Obviously ill need to fix a few things if i do buy it but overall as far as major problems go, is this a good buy and does anyone else know of a high mileage corolla that has made it this far?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd say go for it too! , The loose block , is mostly a bad engine mount? But once you get it, I'd personally do a Timing Belt change! You may ask if she had that done when the water pump was changed. I have a 93, and issues Ive had were normal wear items, starter, waterpump. It currently has 189,000 and still runs strong! Have replaced ball joints and tie rods, struts.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Tercel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks everyone for the input, i really appreciate it, i recently went down and checked it out again and the motor didnt rattle at all, i shifted gears from L all the way to Park for 20 secs on each gear and nothing rattled, im hopefully going to buy it tommorow as well, but if there is anything wrong ill ask here :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.