1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll follow the rules like a good noob

Me: Danny from Staten Island, NY
My: 1992 Toyota MR2 NA
Mods: fpr, intake & exhaust custom fit, ummm...once had an msd ignition coil but removed it when the car stopped running when it rained...some NGK plug wires and denso iridium spark plugs, hood scoop, snake eyes head light frames...yea thats it, nothing major

I was originally going to rebuild the 5sfe and turbocharge it, but nah...been reading up because i know so little about this stuff but i've been learning, and one of the things i've learned is that its much easier and cheaper down the road to do a full swap...

Main question i pose to the experts here is, are there any other engines that can fit this car? can i put the 3.0 L 7M-GE engine (supra) in here? i mean with modifications of course...would be cool to say i have a V6 MR2...plus i assume this engine is a little bit more powerful than the MR2 turbo engine...

how about a 2.5 camry v6? anything? anything else besides the 5sfe or 3sgte? Help me out because i got alot to learn...

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The 1mzfe swap has been done before. I hear the 3sgte is the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trdcamry2003 said:
The 1mzfe swap has been done before.
Sick...i'd pull it out of a Lexus just to be able to tell people who spend a fortune on those cars that we have the same damn thing under the hood...and

Originally posted by toyloverInline 6 in a space reserved for a 4 cyl? Doubtful. The tranny? Damn near impossible.

you said "doubtful" and "damn near impossible"...doesnt quite necessarily mean its totally impossible..i have a ray of hope

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
You'd be better off taking the engine and ecu out of a 97-01 camry or solara. That way it would be easier to supercharge it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea but which V6's? besides the ES 300 motor...and one question about engine deisgnation

If 2 different cars have the same engine setup, for example camry and MR2 having a 5SFE, does this mean i can rip parts right out of a Toyota Camry engine and they will be compatible with the MR2? I thought it should, since its the same engine, yet while searching for a high flow cat on summitracing.com they didnt have one for an MR2, but for a 2.2L Camry with the same engine...I called up to ask if it would fit my car they said no...im guessing since my car's mid-engine rwd and a camry's front engine fwd thats the difference that makes it not possible...just correct me if im wrong

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^TRD makes a SC kit for these cars......easiest swap...is the 3SGTE swap for NA owners.....i think that is ur best option to consider if u want more power......

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Go to muffler shop for cat. They can weld anything on even its not 100% fit.
Basically you can swap the same 5S-FE from Camry, MR2 and Celica. Catch is there are different gen engine that has small different. Like 90-91 Celica 5S-FE got cold injector but 92-93 doesn't. That mean you'll need ECU also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts