Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yinz,
I currently run a 2012 TRD Sport double cab 4x4 with the standard sized 265/65R17 tired. Hankook Dynapros. Mostly road driver with some light trail work. The Dynapro ATM's hold up nicely.

Looking to replace the Dynapros with a slightly bigger tire. I was wondering how big I can go without any rub on the 17" stock wheels.

Let me know what you think.
-TacoSon87

·
boulderskies
2006 Tacoma
135 Posts
i would go to the guys that do it for a living. asking here and other online forums will just leave you with a million opinions.
good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opinons are good. Sometimes experimenting is fine. Forums are made for sharing ideas and experiences.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This line took the cake for me "The max size for the TRD Sport wheels is 265/70-R17. 265/75-R16 will fit on the stock rims. "

Specific to my model and exactly what I was looking for. Now, for the Hankook Dynapro ATM information: It's a 31.7" tire. If I went with the Nitto Grapplers, they're slightly smaller at 31.65". K02's are a solid 32" and slightly wider at 11".

I'll likely stick with the Dynapro ATM's as I've have a great experience with them over 50K miles but... any other popular 2nd gen Taco tire brands I should consider for this specific size change and model?

·
My Other Truck
4,154 Posts
Michelin LTX A/T2. Excellent quality, great highway tire (smooth, quiet, responsive) and very good traction off-pavement (though it's not a mudder). Very long tread life too, these things wear like iron. Depending on how fast you rack up the miles, they might get weather-checked before the tread wears out.

·
My Other Truck
4,154 Posts
I don't know what comes on the 3rd gen Tacomas. About the price of Michelins though, I figure it's a wash because of their longer life compared to many other tires. You don't replace them as often so you don't have additional costs of mounting, balancing, & disposal fees or other fees or taxes.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,078 Posts
Yeah, when you buy tires, there’s up front costs which most people make the decision on. If you’re interested in saving money over the long term, you should take the price and divide it by miles you’ll get out of them. $500 for tires lasting 30K miles is a higher cost than $900 for tires that go 60K miles. I don’t want tires that wear out faster despite their cheaper up front costs. The Michelin LTX AT2 are excellent tires. You’ll see people raving about them on TW too. They’re not a mud tire, but they do fine off road, are great in the snow, last forever, and are rated as the quietest AT tire. What they aren’t is a super aggressive appearing tire. But they get the job done!
Couple old pics of them if you’re interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts