Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having used the simple "tooth paste" method in the past, and with acceptable results, I knew that to get like new results requires wet sanding, buff polishing, and coating/sealing. With time being money, I decided to just order everything I needed in one kit on line. I chose the Meguiar's heavy duty kit for around $32, and it provides everything you need except for an electric drill, masking tape, and microfiber cloth (not certain you really need one, but I have a bunch).

Meguiar's has a video on line that describes the procedure, but it is simply: 1. Clean lens (I used glass cleaner) | 2. 1000 grit wet sand | 3. 3000 grit wet sand | 4. Power buff | 5. Seal / coat.
I did steps 1 through 4 TWICE for each lens, but you do not necessarily need to. The microfiber cloth is for initial cleaning and cleaning post sanding and buffing.

It took me less than an hour and the results, as expected, are outstanding. Also, the kit contains enough materials for maybe 3+ cars. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Automotive parking light Hood Motor vehicle Blue Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Cosmetics Public space Plastic bottle Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice Review Thanks!
I friend just purchased a Hyundai that he hopes to flip for a quick sale. The headlights were completely yellow hazed and much worse than yours. He had asked me to try to restore them. In the interests of not putting money into the car, I worked on them with "existing materials" and a small polisher. I wanted to avoid wet sanding, he had Meguiars 205 and Turtle Wax polish in his shop. It took a lot of work with the polisher to remove the yellow haze.

The results were acceptable for a car that he wants to flip but no where as good as your's.

·
Registered
2012 Corolla CE
1,075 Posts
Its the factory coating that wears out on top of the lenses.If you sand that away, its gone for good.Those kits are temporary fix until people can afford new headlights. A light plastic polish like Meguiars PlastX is really good at taking out the yellow haze but you have to do it often.

·
Administrator
14,716 Posts
That kit includes a final sealant. Hard to know how that’ll stand up over a few years. But it’s hard to duplicate the factory sealant with its excellent UV blocking.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I feel like hunting down which Toyota model had the last sealed beam glass headlights
Sure hope it's not my truck that ended the era of that type that only needs a squeegee and paper towel to clean 'em

I did use this kit on the old Corolla and it was a definite improvement, but the lens was not toooooo bad to start with

·
Administrator
14,716 Posts
My ‘98 Rav has glass headlights. Dunno what would be the last?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts