Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone see that new Meineke Dual exhaust commercial? They are installing Dual Cat exhast systems for $350 US! Does anyone else have more info on this? Sounds too good to be true. And has anyone had any horror storys with Meineke?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
I went there and talked to them about duals a while back. They were going to do a custom Y-pipe, dual resonators, and 3.5" chrome tips. The price they gave me was $300 for all of it. So I'd say it sounds fine. They're a really good shop.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
EH...it depends...sortof like Jiffy Lube. some are decent, some are REALLY REALLY crappy.

Gridlyne - any idea on for how long that will last?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea. I just saw the commercial RIGHT now. But sounds like a great deal to me. Is there some kind of warranty/gaurantee on their work? That would make it even better if there was.

·
metamorphosis
715 Posts
I just called my local meineke store, and they said they still have the $350 custom dual exhaust cat-back. The person i spoke to was really nice and helpful over the phone...i will stop by sometime this week and have them take a look at my car. i have also been wanting to install dual exhaust on my camry. I currently have a greddy evo full catback system installed. i have enjoyed it thus far, but wouldn't mind those dual exhaust tip (one on each side of the car:D )

if i do this installation, i'll be selling hte greddy catback...so if anyone is interested, start thinking about it and let me know.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Ruffrydasean said:
If I did it, would I need to supply anything extra to them? My Camry is stock, performance wise.
Nope, they do everything. That price includes labor. They basically hack off your muffler, bend a custom Y-pipe and put some new mufflers on it.

·
metamorphosis
715 Posts
yeah the meineke guy i talked to said we can choose from their selection of flowmaster mufflers. the price is pretty good since it includes labor. man, wish they had this before i got my greddy evo catback 1yr ago. i got it for $499, plus about $80 labor! :(

does anyone know if i would experience any performance LOSS with a dual exhaust setup on a I4 auto camry? I have injen short-ram intake, rippmods headers. my setup right now is those 2 w/ the greddy catback, and the performance is pretty good. i don't want to lose any of my performance by switching to a dual exhaust setup....

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Meineke is complete shit. One way or another they will do cheap ass installations, rob you, or if not both of those at the same time screw up your car.

Your choice. I had some exhaust done at a Meineke. Never ever again.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^What happened for you to hate them so much? Can you share with us your horror story?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
epborden said:
Meineke is complete shit. One way or another they will do cheap ass installations, rob you, or if not both of those at the same time screw up your car.

Your choice. I had some exhaust done at a Meineke. Never ever again.

like i said before, it depends on the individual store. the one nearest me isn't good, but the one where i lived a few years ago was a good shop.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Yea that was just my opinion, I can't blame the entire shop franchise because they all have different owners and employees. Some do good work, some don't.

Their (the guy who did it) welds are horrible. In fact so horrible that there was still a hole back near where the muffler was welded on. They took some stuff from my car, some personal items. They also charged way to high for the installation.

I have had bad luck with franchise shops all around. My most current shop outing? I took my car in for a rad/trans/ps/bf flush and fill, and they (Precision Tune) did about three of the flushes and fills, but I paid for all of them thinking they did them all, and trusting them. So right now, since my transmission wasn't flushed, it burned out, and my transmission is now a hunk of scrap metal and the car is undriveable.

I also went to Midas while trying to figure out what my problem was before I knew it was the trans, they just ditched the car and said they didn't know what the sound was and referred me somewhere else. I went to the place they referred me to, and they did (or so they say) a "performance test" and didn't give me a real answer on what it was, but were definately willing to charge me 150$ up front to try the next day.

I have had more bad experiences, most of this stuff was things I didn't notice were gone or had been going bad and happened later. IMO Meineke sucks, thats why I won't ever go there again. I'm not saying you shouldn't go for this deal, because it is a nice tempting deal, maybe you have better luck than I do though.

Plus their mufflers (from flowmaster :thumbdown) suck, and like I said I hope you watch them weld that real nice or else you'll be outside under your car with a grinder.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, if anyone does decide to go get it done there, write us up a post about how it went and the results.

·
metamorphosis
715 Posts
yeah, after work tomorrow, i'll stop by my meineke store and talk w/ the people there. and i'll decide afterwards...but i'll post what they say

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,955 Posts
this is from the site and it was also on tv in small unreadable print. most likely they won't do it to a car since it takes more time and car to do so also they are doing it with a single muffler with one inlet a two outlets. you can get this done for less at a different shop i was qouted 200 for my car but i did it myself and used 2 mufflers for 70. so you decide and good luck.

$350 Cat-Back, Duals, Performance Exhaust

July 5, 2004 - August 15, 2004
From July 5 to August 15, stop in at your nearest Meineke Car Care Center and get a Cat-Back, Duals, Performance Muffler System for only $350 (installed)! *

* Includes 1 muffler, 2 tail pipes, hangers, clamps and connector pipe. Stainless muffler and/or pipes and stainless or chrome tips are extra. Catalytic converter is not included. Fits most trucks and SUVs. Valid only at participating locations. Not valid with other special offers. Not valid where prohibited by law. Additional shop fees may apply. Offer expires 8/15/04.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^Now its starting to not sound as good as it initially did.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts