Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All -

I am noticing the classic melting dashboard symptoms on my 2011 Camry - "Sticky/melting Dashboards (Instrument Panels) as a result of heat or humidity".

I am just researching this issue and learning that it's a known problem with an associated recall (below):

However I do not remember getting anything from Toyota about this... just wondering what my options are at this point -

1. Should I call the dealer and ask about replacement warranty and options?
2. Or call Toyota directly?
3. Replace myself?

Any suggestions and recent experiences are appreciated.

Thanks -

SS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just called the dealer and going to bring it in to be inspected. Let's see what happens.

Any idea how much it would cost to fix it myself?

·
Camry Freak
1,027 Posts
I think the warranty enhancement period ended a while ago. It's a pretty extensive repair to do by yourself unless you have experience. Keep in mind that there is an airbag in the dash on the passenger side- and I wouldn't mess with the dash over there unless you know what you are doing. They had to take out my dashboard once for a warranty repair- the dealer had my car for three days. I saw the car once during that time (I had to get my parking pass out off the rearview mirror) and it looked like it was a pretty extensive job.

It's not cheap to replace that part. The part is expensive and the labor to have someone rip apart the dash would cost a fortune too- it's not an easy job. I tried looking up the price for the part- but the two Toyota parts places I generally use both list that they are no longer for sale- and they don't have an updated part number available. I remember looking it up a few years ago and I think it was in the neighborhood of $800-$1000 for the part.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would love to see photo's of this, I have a 2011 Camry and haven't seen this issue yet. I do keep it conditioned though.

·
3,953 Posts
I knew I was running out of time and finally took a trip to my mother's to take her 2010 Camry to the dealer where she lives for the melting dashboard problem. Unfortunately they told me I was a few months too late and the special warranty extension had expired earlier this year for her car. If I would have done this last January she'd have a new dash. Oh well.

·
Joyridin'
12 Posts
Always parked outdoors in Houston TX, my 2008 had (still has) this melted, sticky dash problem, about a 4" band where the dash meets the windshield. Did not take to dealer to replace, even though I got the notice years ago that they would fix for free. Too much trouble to leave it with dealer for a couple days.
The practical problem of it was my sunshade stuck to it and got tarred by it. So I found some dark gray plastic sheet material, cut to fit and stuck it to the sticky part, covering it so that nothing else sticks to it. You can hardly tell it is there.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
Dear All -

I am noticing the classic melting dashboard symptoms on my 2011 Camry - "Sticky/melting Dashboards (Instrument Panels) as a result of heat or humidity".

I am just researching this issue and learning that it's a known problem with an associated recall (below):

However I do not remember getting anything from Toyota about this... just wondering what my options are at this point -

1. Should I call the dealer and ask about replacement warranty and options?
2. Or call Toyota directly?
3. Replace myself?
Any suggestions and recent experiences are appreciated.Thanks -SS[/QUOTE

You should be eligible for a new dashboard according to the ZE6 letter.. The ZE6 letter states that you are covered for 10 years from the 1st day that your car was put into use. So you have a 2011 Camry when was it 1st put into use ????. (Registered and put on the road).you have 10 years from that date. I would call Toyota Customer Service number with your VIN# 1-800-331-4331.
Read secondary coverage below.

If you are the 2nd owner, you should be able to find out when your car was 1st put into use from various sources, title, rmv etc.

Here is the coverage that Toyota has offered.

Subject: Limited Service Campaign (LSC) ZE6
Certain 2003-2005 4Runner
Certain 2005-2010 Avalon
Certain 2007-2011 Camry & Camry Hybrid
Certain 2004-2010 Sienna
Certain 2004-2008 Solara
Extension of Warranty Coverage for cracked and/or sticky/melting Dashboards (Instrument
Panels) as a result of heat or humidity

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty
Enhancement Program. This program extends the warranty coverage for repairs related to cracked and/or
sticky/melting Dashboards (Instrument Panels) as a result of heat or humidity.

This Warranty Enhancement Program will be launched in two phases due to current parts production
capacity. Initially, Toyota will inform owners that they may seek reimbursement consideration for
previous repairs for this condition. Once sufficient parts are available, Toyota will send a second
owner notification letter informing owners that replacement will be made if they have a cracked and/or
sticky/melting Dashboard as a result of heat or humidity.

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement described herein for all owners of covered
vehicles until May 31, 2017, regardless of mileage or date of first use of the vehicle.

Secondary Coverage supplements the Primary Coverage for some owners by offering the warranty
enhancement described herein for 10 years from the date of the first use of the vehicle, regardless
of mileage. For instance, if you own a 2009 Camry that was first used on January 1, 2010, you are
entitled to the warranty enhancement through January 1, 2020.

I was 8 months past the warranty enhancement. My car a 2009 Toyota Camry SE was bought on May 1st 2008 and put into service , received registered and drove vehicle off Toyota Dealers lot on May 3rd 2008 so My warranty enhancement covered me to May 3rd 2018. My dashboard cracked and started to chip in January 2019. I called Toyota and they told me that I was past the warranty enhancement. So I did mine myself. the dashboard goes for $1169.68. I bought mine from a local dealer for $766.00 plus tax. So it came out to $814. Here is my replacement thread on my update page. https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/glenn14s-update-thread.318696/page-19

You should be eligible for a new dashboard. The ZE6 letter states that you are covered for 10 years from the 1st day that your car was put into use. So you have a 2011 Camry when was it 1st put into use ????. (Registered and put on the road).you have 10 years from that date. I would call Toyota Customer Service number with your VIN# 1-800-331-4331.
Secondary Coverage supplements the Primary Coverage for some owners by offering the warranty
enhancement described herein for 10 years from the date of the first use of the vehicle, regardless
of mileage. For instance, if you own a 2009 Camry that was first used on January 1, 2010, you are
entitled to the warranty enhancement through January 1, 2020.
Hope this info helps. Let us know what they say !!!

Glenn

·
Registered
280 Posts
I knew I was running out of time and finally took a trip to my mother's to take her 2010 Camry to the dealer where she lives for the melting dashboard problem. Unfortunately they told me I was a few months too late and the special warranty extension had expired earlier this year for her car. If I would have done this last January she'd have a new dash. Oh well.

That is crazy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took mine to the dealer yesterday. After inspection and without any other questions, they immediately ordered a new dash. ETA is 1-2 weeks. Apparently, there is also a mileage limit.. 10 years and 150k miles.

The photos below are not that great as far as highlighting the issue (wish I had better lighting). However, to describe it, the entire dashboard is soft and scratched. A few months ago, there were only a couple of scratches. I have highlighted the worst area on one of the photos - where the dash meets the windshield. This area is really gooey and melted.

Attachments

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,419 Posts
I took mine to the dealer yesterday. After inspection and without any other questions, they immediately ordered a new dash. ETA is 1-2 weeks. Apparently, there is also a mileage limit.. 10 years and 150k miles.

The photos below are not that great as far as highlighting the issue (wish I had better lighting). However, to describe it, the entire dashboard is soft and scratched. A few months ago, there were only a couple of scratches. I have highlighted the worst area on one of the photos - where the dash meets the windshield. This area is really gooey and melted.
That is correct 10 years or 150,000 miles from date of service. I did not think that you would have a problem. You saved yourself around $2400 parts and labor. IMHO I would check in with your dealer to see if your part has arrived so you can schedule for the installation, Great to hear !!!
Glenn

·
Registered
14 Posts
you could always consider having it replaced then taking the dealer or Toyota to small claims court. Depends upon the state can be up to $6000 damages...like $25 bucks to file. Don't need an attorney, again depends upon the state. But on the other hand, sue them for the dash, $2400. and the attorney $1500.

·
3,953 Posts
That is crazy.
Crazy that I procrastinated until it was too late? Yep.

Crazy that Toyota made a dash that melts like that? Yep.

My mother's Camry is a 2010 and I think it has a little over 150K. She lives in south TX close to the Mexican border. Very long, hot summers there.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Crazy that I procrastinated until it was too late? Yep.

Crazy that Toyota made a dash that melts like that? Yep.

My mother's Camry is a 2010 and I think it has a little over 150K. She lives in south TX close to the Mexican border. Very long, hot summers there.
Well... either it is melting or it is splitting... the only difference is 10 years ago is 10 years ago and 20 years ago is 20 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And yet: my 2003 Mercury Marauder black dashboard, car sits outside 16 years old looks like the day it rolled out of the showroom. It's these new greenie recycleable materials. Bet they used an ethylene elastomer and the plasticizer is leaching out. How green is that? loose chemicals evaporating into the air and making a mess? The Marauder was no doubt good old PVC. My 1964 Mercury still has a great looking dash!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
And yet: my 2003 Mercury Marauder black dashboard, car sits outside 16 years old looks like the day it rolled out of the showroom. It's these new greenie recycleable materials. Bet they used an ethylene elastomer and the plasticizer is leaching out. How green is that? loose chemicals evaporating into the air and making a mess? The Marauder was no doubt good old PVC. My 1964 Mercury still has a great looking dash!
The Marauder makes sense but you can't say the same for other domestics.... assuming they are running...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
Vangm25
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing