Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that mkIII supras are notorious for the head gaskets going out early. Do the metal head gaskets solve that problem completly or do they just prolong the problem.

I have a 89' supra turbo with 75,000 miles and ive heard the head gaskets go as early as 80,000 up to 150,000 miles.

I,m also thinking about doing the ct26 turbo upgrade. Any info on that would be great.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
If a MHG is installed propely it will last you the life of the motor. However, to properly install a MHG, you can't just pull the haed, slap one in and go. In order to install a MHG, you must pull the head, and get it machined, then machine the block as well. If your shop doesn't have a Block Lapping Tool, this means either finding another way, or pulling the whole motor. So, to sum up, you'll need:
1) ARP Hardware (Head Studs or Bolts, OEM Bolts WILL NOT cut it)
2) Proper Sized MHG
3) Machined Head
4) Machined Block
5) Proper torque (I used 85ft-lbs instead of the 55 that Toyota says), and then checking the torque spec a month or so after it's been running.

Failure to do any of these things (except maybe check on it) can easily result in a blown head gasket. I can't count the number of blown MHG's I've seen because the owner DIDN'T get the block machined.

As for CT26 upgrades I assume you either mean the 60-1 upgrade, or the 57trim upgrade. From what I've seen of these, they do make good power and people seem to like them. However, at the same time, it IS cramming a larger wheel into a housing which wasn't designed for it. So on top of that, the shaft isn't designed for that increased load. With these additional forces, the shaft is more prone to breakage, and has a little harder wear on it.

Besides that fact, I'm not personally impressed. A guy in my town, required a 60-1 upgrade, 8 more PSI than I was running, an intercooler setup, a complete fuel system, and a lexus AFM JUST to get 85hp more than my dyno. Those numbers just didn't impress me, so I decided that wasn't the way to go for me. I personally chose to go to a full out new turbo (Garett T04). But, like I said, people seem to like 'em and they're a pretty simple (-ish) upgrade for easy power. Just make sure the rest of your system can take the added forces/boost.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
or you can go the cheap route and get copper spray and coat your headgasket with it. i've used it before and it works great no need to machine or to get anything milled. i wouldn't say anything about it if i didn't do it myself:thumbup:

go to this site for more info on this product:
http://ken-co.com/permatex/101d.htm

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
That product has been proven to only prolong HG failure. In some cases it's even caused it.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
85lbs on the HG eh? General consensus on Cressida forums say 72... I've never seen a figure that high :confused:

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
I know quite a few people that put more than 100 on them. It's all over supraforums.com. People tend to stay between 80-92 from what I've seen...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts