Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably in the wrong location, but this is my first post so here it is. Saw a lot of posts with regards to the Scosche dash kit but none for the Metra kit so I thought this might give someone an Idea of how it looks. I got this kit for free, as well as the wiring harness, when I ordered the Kenwood head unit from Crutchfield. Total price...$149.99...no tax, no shipping!!! It is easy as can be to install using the info supplied on this site. From start to finish it took me less than 2 hours and 6 beers to complete. The great thing about the head unit is that it has a rear aux input (2 female rca's) and a USB input. I use a 1GB SD card and card reader to operate that function and use the aux input for my XM radio. Again...the stereo comes with the cables off the back so no adapters to buy. When using the SD card reader on the USB port, the song titles show up on the Kenwood screen. IT WORKS GREAT!!! The sound from this head unit KILLS the factory unit and there is a remote included. I am VERY PLEASED with this unit!!! And as far as the dash kit...I think this looks so much better than the grey Scosche kit. Here are some pics. I'll get some good digital pics when I can..these were taken w/a Treo.

Stereo Removed

Another View

New Kenwood with Metra Kit Installed

Another Pic

SD card reader plugged into supplied USB port in glove box

·
Banned
1,301 Posts

Looks good, but I prefer the color matched. I had a black one for a while . . .
much prefer the factory look.

Nice Job on the install . .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I guess one of the best aspects of the black kit is that it came free. I was actually planning on buying the Scosche kit but once I put in the Metra, I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
looks good!

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The xm radio set up is just a Delphi XT with the supplied vent mount. I like the location and it is literally right at my fingertips but it covers the vent. I would like to find another location but space is obviously limited. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update...got the whole system dialed in. Mainly, I got the XM radio sounding great by adjusting the hell out of the equilizer. I have to crank the volume about 7 notches higher than I would with the CD or USB but it is loud and clear and actually bumps.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tacoma
232 Posts
robsatx said:
Looks good, but I prefer the color matched. I had a black one for a while . . .
much prefer the factory look.

Nice Job on the install . .
For whatever it's worth both silver and black are "factory". I saw a 2007 black 4 banger mini Tacoma (non prerunner - 4x2) that a guy I know bought. His had a black dash.

I actually preferr the black and think it blends just as well since there's black all around anyhow. I bought a silver double DIN Scosche and used outdoor plastic (patio furniture) textured flat black paint to paint the kit black. Looks good. I'll take pics and post em.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
I hope it sounds good.

·
kevin
06,sr5,acab
24 Posts
it looked to me like there was some sort of a long mount arm holding the unit up there but i guess it's just the cables .I mounted mine below the heat controls with double stick tape works good and doesn't block the vent.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
I've purchased all of my car radios from Crutchfield, and know that they don't always have the best factory match for their stereo kits. For that reason, I bought the Scosche kit, because I liked the way it looked from pics I have seen and that it was more of a factory match.

After seeing your pics, the black kit doesn't look too bad, and knowing it will be free when I order my Alpine kit, i'll install both and see which looks better.

Thanks for the pics.

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
holy old thread batman....

it was linked from anouther thread, so there....

anyways, when ordering from crutchfield, you can choose silver or "black" for the dash kit. it's really more of a charcoal. it would have looked better if it was black. but overall, it works well when they send you a kit with the piece to hold the hazzard assembly.

i've now got two near complete kits. i was thinking of spray painting the extra face with a black enamel paint to see if i can more closely match the stock look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts