Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
smcgill
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for tires.
I travel 90% highway and I could use a good tire for wet and snow driving.
What are your thought on Michelin Defender T&H Size: 205/65R16
Thanks all ….:)

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,454 Posts
I got them on my Avalon for about 12K and can't say anything really good or really bad about them. For the first 7-8K these tires were very quiet, after that slowly got noisier and from my experience this is normal for the newer Michelins. Good wet traction, no idea about snow traction. These Defenders wear much slower than Primacy MXV4, but no way I would get more than 50K out of them. Considering the Defenders price, I would rather have Pirelli P7+.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just put Defenders on my 2001 Camry in August. My previous set were Premiers, which were GREAT with wet and snow traction but wore out pretty quickly. So I'm trying the Defenders this time, hoping it will last longer but not compromise snow traction much. I think the Defenders are probably just the right amount of traction vs longevity.

Strangely, one of the new Defenders got a flat last week, with about 1,000 miles on it. No clue why.

·
Registered
388 Posts
On my second set from BJ's but does not look like they carry this model now. First set put about 60K miles on then. The mileage will depend a lot on the type of driving you do, highway lasts longer.
Runs quiet and smooth.
Traction in snow is OK but not great due to the tread pattern. Good in rain.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just got mine from BJ's last month. They still carry them. Might be currently out of stock, though, which depends on region I suppose.

·
smcgill
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like BJ's has the updated defender called : Michelin X-TOUR A/S T+H

Any comments / problems with this tire,
I drive 90% on the high way ….

·
Registered
388 Posts
It looks like BJ's has the updated defender called : Michelin X-TOUR A/S T+H

Any comments / problems with this tire,
I drive 90% on the high way ….
Defender has a wear rating of 820. Can not find X-tour listed so I do not know what its rating is. It may be a new tire.
BJS can obtain more tires than what is shown online. If you still want Defender, I would go there an ask them to look it up. I see Defender is still available on Tirerack so it is probably still made.

·
Registered
453 Posts
X-Tour is the same exact tire as Defender, I think, that is made specifically for discount retailers like BJs, Costco, and Sam's Club. It tends to be a few dollars cheaper but from what I remember, they're pretty much exactly the same. I requested X-Tours when I replaced mine but the BJs told me it would take over a month for them to come in. The Defenders could be delivered to store in 2-3 days and were only a few bucks more, so I went with those.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts